Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Street version of mid-engine 911 RSR?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:17 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Street version of mid-engine 911 RSR?
We can only dream! I think the turbo S light more likely based on nothing other than the bubble roof and the fact I don't see room for a motorsport dept special at the moment.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM
cebe
Pro

Received 431 Likes on 181 Posts

Soo ... this one would be a new LE 911 with turbo engine, different from the GT2 RS?

The front ground clearance looks excessive to me, but the headlights do suggest a 991 ...
The front air intakes do look huge to me.

Mystery car!
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
Soo ... this one would be a new LE 911 with turbo engine, different from the GT2 RS?

The front ground clearance looks excessive to me, but the headlights do suggest a 991 ...

Mystery car!
Looks like a panamera from that angle
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Looks like a panamera from that angle
Panny shooting brake with a new carbon tub that will be used for the mission E with a NA V8 + KERS power train...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:36 AM
cebe
Pro

Maybe the new model is on stilts to make the teaser more difficult ...

Given the fact that it will be an Exclusive Department product the mechanical modifications should be minimal ...
Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 AM
Awdnut
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe

Mystery car!
991 turbo Outback 👍🏻
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
SWAG says 650-680
That's disappointing, considering the 720S has 710hp and the expected 488 refresh (speciale) is supposed to have 700-710hp.

Shame that Porsche's top 911, which is expected to be similarly priced to the 488 and 720S, will be lagging both those cars horsepower before it's even produced.
These days, particularly in the the forced induction world, Porsche can't continue with their measly 5% power increases, and stay competitive.

I know a lot of you guys on this thread are considering a GT2RS, but depreciation aside, I'm not sure why someone would buy a GT2RS over a McLaren 720s? The 720S will smoke a GT2RS on the track as it has more power and is much lighter, Mclaren is likely more comfortable driving on the road while still great on the track with the adjustable suspension, and both cars are RWD turbos with DCT transmissions.

If depreciation is your primary concern, then you can buy the 488 now or 488 speciale the following year, which is likely to hold its value well and will have more horsepower than the GT2RS.

Different situation these days compared to previous years when the GT2RS was a unique animal, with its raw nature and manual gearbox, and when high-powered turbo sports cars weren't so prevalent.
I understand why people bought GT2/RSs at that time, but I'm not sure why you buy a GT2RS next year, given the competition at the same price, as all three cars are RWD, turbo, and DCT, and I don't think the GT2RS will be as raw in a 991 wheelbase/chassis.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade. Please help me understand if I'm missing something.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-25-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:31 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
That's disappointing, considering the 720S has 710hp and the expected 488 refresh (speciale) is supposed to have 700.

Shame that Porsche's top 911, which is similarly priced to the 488 and 720S, will be lagging both those cars horsepower before it's even produced.
These days, particularly in the the forced induction world, Porsche can't continue with their measly 5% power increases, and stay competitive.

I know a lot of you guys on this thread are considering a GT2RS, but depreciation aside, I'm not sure why someone would buy a GT2RS over a McLaren 720s? The 720S will smoke a GT2RS on the track, you still get RWD in either car, the Mclaren is much lighter and more nimble, likely more comfortable driving on the road while still great on the track, and both cars are turbo with DCT transmissions.
If depreciation is your primary concern, then you can buy the 488 refresh speciale the following year, which is likely to hold its value well and will have more horsepower than the GT2RS.

Different situation these days compared to previous GT2RS models when the GT2RS was a unique animal, with its raw nature and manual gearbox. I understand why people bought those cars at that time, but I'm not sure why you buy a GT2RS next year, given the competition at the same price.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade. Please help me understand if I'm missing something.
I pretty much agree with you on this. I mean, a GT2 RS is an awesome car, but I'm sure a 720s is better. Maybe 2RS is more raw experience?

Obviously a GT3 has the advantage of higher RPM, better sound, MT, much cheaper. That's the sweet spot in the range for sure.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:21 AM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by Awdnut
991 turbo Outback 👍🏻
Funny, It was my impression exactly when I saw it under wraps.

Very improbable .... but there were rumors a while back about such a version ... and now it is the 30th anniversary of the 959 success at the Paris-Dakar ...

The rally 911s of old (and more so the 959) had a very cool stance, never replicated in a street version.

Maybe the exclusive dep. would celebrate with a one-off.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:32 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 412 Posts

That's disappointing, considering the 720S has 710hp and the expected 488 refresh (speciale) is supposed to have 700-710hp.

Shame that Porsche's top 911, which is similarly priced to the 488 and 720S, will be lagging both those cars horsepower before it's even produced.

I know a lot of you guys on this thread are considering a GT2RS, but depreciation aside, I'm not sure why someone would buy a GT2RS over a McLaren 720s? The 720S will smoke a GT2RS on the track as it has more power and is much lighter, Mclaren is likely more comfortable driving on the road while still great on the track with the adjustable suspension, and both cars are RWD turbos with DCT transmissions.

If depreciation is your primary concern, then you can buy the 488 refresh speciale the following year, which is likely to hold its value well and will have more horsepower than the GT2RS.

Different situation these days compared to previous years when the GT2RS was a unique animal, with its raw nature and manual gearbox, and when high-powered turbo sports cars weren't so prevalent.
I understand why people bought GT2/RSs at that time, but I'm not sure why you buy a GT2RS next year, given the competition at the same price, as all three cars are RWD, turbo, and DCT, and I don't think the GT2RS will be as raw in a 991 wheelbase/chassis.

Well, for a starter, if you haven't been in the Ferrari VIP circle, you ain't getting a 488 Speciale at sticker. You will need to buy the car at market and this pretty much puts everyone off.

The Mclaren 720S is a good choice (performance is mega as I have driven it already), but reliability is still an issue and depreciation will be killer.

That leaves the GT2RS and for some, they might be able to get one at MSRP, which makes it the only logical choice in this price segment.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:38 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unotaz
Well, for a starter, if you haven't been in the Ferrari VIP circle, you ain't getting a 488 Speciale at sticker. You will need to buy the car at market and this pretty much puts everyone off.
Good point, but it takes connections, $, and previous major Porsche purchases to be able to get a GT2RS at sticker, so I'm not sure there is a big difference here.

You don't have to be a VIP to get a 488 speciale at sticker, maybe in the first year of production, but that's it. It won't be as restricted as the 488 special aperta is likely to be.

I know several guys who purchased a 458 as their first Ferrari, and 2-3 years later purchased a 458 Speciale at sticker. They didn't get those cars in the first year of production, but they got them without an issue, and got them at MSRP. However, I should mentioned that all these friends don't live in LA, where the sports car market is ridiculous and both Porsche and Ferrari dealerships will rape you without a second thought.

Fortunately I can still use my East Coast dealer to buy my new GT cars, as I don't ever plan to buy a new Porsche in this state.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:12 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 412 Posts

Good point, but it takes connections, $, and previous major Porsche purchases to be able to get a GT2RS at sticker, so I'm not sure there is a big difference here.

You don't have to be a VIP to get a 488 speciale at sticker, maybe in the first 6-9 months of production, but that's it. It won't be as restricted as the 488 special aperta is likely to be.

I know several guys who purchased a 458 as their first Ferrari, and 2-3 years later purchased a 458 Speciale at sticker. They didn't get those cars in the first 6-9 months of production, but they got them without an issue, and got them at MSRP.
Right....

I have been buying F-cars for a long time and I know all the dealer principals in SoCal/NorCal area. Giacomo is a good friend. You are saying you know guys who bought a 458 as their first Ferrari and then a few years later got a Speciale at sticker without buying any additional cars from the same Ferrari dealer during that time? If these cars were sold brand new at sticker, I find that highly unlikely.

There were only around 600 Speciale in the US during the two year production and trust me, only customers who bought "several" cars from the dealer got them at sticker brand new. When I say several cars, it doesn't need to be Ferrari cars only, it could other makes or models, but nevertheless bought from the same Ferrari dealership.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:21 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I'm saying that California is a unique market for any high end sports car, compared to the rest of the country. You may be well versed in buying a new Ferrari in California, but in the rest of the country it's much easier to get a mid-cycle speciale type car than it is in California. I've been looking at Ferraris for years before moving to SoCal last year, so I know the market outside of this state, but I concede that you have much more experience than I do buying Ferraris in California.

So getting back to my original point, directed to all posters on this forum-

You have to buy a few Porsches to get a GT2RS or a few Ferraris to get a Speciale. As the MSRP on both cars is expected to be similar, and there are lots of people who own both Porsches and Ferraris, I'm not sure why in this era someone chooses a GT2RS over a 488 Speciale?
Or to get away from arguing about Ferrari allocations, why does someone choose a GT2RS over a 488, which will likely be almost exactly the same power, similar price, also turbo, RWD, DCT, also hold its value well, still rare, and arguably more attractive than the GT2RS, with similar performance?

Last edited by Drifting; 03-25-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:54 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure, that Porsche will surprize a lot of people with the upcoming GT2RS... In a positive way.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS