Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Zlaatan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Thats really my point. If Porsche is going to charge 300K for this car, I think it should be really special, not just a Turbo S with front wheel drive removed and the boost turned up 8%.
I don't think anyone would describe the 997 GT2RS as a rwd Turbo with the boost turned up, and I don't think that will be the case with this car either.
If there's one thing Porsche does well it's making awesome GTx cars.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 698 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I always see GT3s when I go to the track but haven't seen a Ferrari here (CO) on it yet and the only McLaren I saw was a 675 LT that was getting passed by Miatas.
Reminds me of the time I saw a P1 doing similar lap times a Boxster at VIR.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Weird that Mclaren hasn't addressed at least the quality of the brake discs for reliability. Compared to Porsches the macs do have problems modulating the brakes for car control at speed on the track, although to be fair, the brakes are much better in the 650 than in the MP4. I haven't personally driven a 675LT.

Porsche brakes are a step above, although lots of GT owners still go aftermarket for improved durability of their brake pads and rotors, which I assume the Mac owners could do as well.

Also wonder why mclaren refuses to put a rear diff on their cars. Now that Unotaz brought it up, I remember Evo complaining that the lack of the rear diff was one of their biggest annoyances with the 650 and LT, and that Mclarens work around with the brakes wasn't as good as just including a differential on this 300K car.
I actually asked this very question 2 weeks ago to a mclaren chief shop/tech manager at a mclaren dinner. Answer was that this was f1 technology trickledown which is a mclaren hallmark, and also that they save weight and have more precise control with this inside-rear tire braking tech. I can only add that 675LT brakes feel "wooden" in light applications, whereas the pccb feel more natural. Brakes might be one of few items I wasn't in love with on the mclarens, but they definitely seemed up to the job even on P1.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, I love that story about the 675 LT owner getting passed by miatas, kind reminds of the rich guys you see in Colorado on $13,000 mountain bikes getting passed all the time by the guys on $1,300 bikes.

Does your purple RS really get that much less attention than a Ferrari?
Not even kidding on the LT getting smoked by Miata.

My UV gets 1/10th on the attention my Rossa Corsa 458 did. It was miserable. I'm very excited about GT2 RS and hope to put one next to the Grape Ape.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Weird. Every time I go to the track there's like 4 RS's, a couple GT3s, maybe a GTR and maybe a Z06 out for a couple laps. Saw a 458 out there once and it was all over the place... had to back off him. Maybe it's just my circle, but just about every RS owner I know in person takes it to the track at least occasionally.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I actually asked this very question 2 weeks ago to a mclaren chief shop/tech manager at a mclaren dinner. Answer was that this was f1 technology trickledown which is a mclaren hallmark, and also that they save weight and have more precise control with this inside-rear tire braking tech. I can only add that 675LT brakes feel "wooden" in light applications, whereas the pccb feel more natural. Brakes might be one of few items I wasn't in love with on the mclarens, but they definitely seemed up to the job even on P1.
Thanks alexio. I should have just directed the question to you as you have access to some Mclaren bigwigs.

Sounds like Mclaren will never put a differential on their road cars.

I also see the brakes as the one weak technical spot in the 650/675 cars as otherwise, mclaren tech is on whole new level with their suspension, engine, and body composition compared to Ferrari. Although as I mentioned earlier, Mclaren definitely improved the 650 brakes compared to the MP4 brakes.

Next time you're with some Mclaren bigwigs, can you ask them if they did anything to improve the braking feel on the new super series? (720s) .

Would also be interested to know if C.J. has any inside information on braking feel improvements in the next super series, i.e. 720s.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ****
Not even kidding on the LT getting smoked by Miata.

My UV gets 1/10th on the attention my Rossa Corsa 458 did. It was miserable. I'm very excited about GT2 RS and hope to put one next to the Grape Ape.
Good for you with the GT2RS. Your reason to buy it does partially answer my question, as it certainly garners less attention than a 488 or 720s. The GT2RS will particularly be a beast at altitude, as the NA cars are definitely down on power, while a "mile high"

Interesting regarding attention. I guess I would think the UV RS with the huge wing might garner 50% of the attention of a red Ferrari, but then again I haven't driven a 991 RS on the road.

I find that my Guards Red GT3 gets just the right amount of attention. Car people notice it, and I have a few conversations at gas stations. Girls don't know what it is exactly, but they understand that its a special Porsche.
But most non-car people just think its another Porsche 911 and don't pay much attention.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-26-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:16 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Right....

I have been buying F-cars for a long time and I know all the dealer principals in SoCal/NorCal area. Giacomo is a good friend. You are saying you know guys who bought a 458 as their first Ferrari and then a few years later got a Speciale at sticker without buying any additional cars from the same Ferrari dealer during that time? If these cars were sold brand new at sticker, I find that highly unlikely.

There were only around 600 Speciale in the US during the two year production and trust me, only customers who bought "several" cars from the dealer got them at sticker brand new. When I say several cars, it doesn't need to be Ferrari cars only, it could other makes or models, but nevertheless bought from the same Ferrari dealership.
I did exactly this. First Ferrari ever was a brand new 14 458. Second Ferrari ever was a brand new 458 S. both at sticker. Both configured by me.

If you want to know anything else about the Ferrari or Porsche brand let me know, I'm only a redneck from NC but I'll try.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I did exactly this. First Ferrari ever was a brand new 14 458. Second Ferrari ever was a brand new 458 S. both at sticker. Both configured by me.

If you want to know anything else about the Ferrari or Porsche brand let me know, I'm only a redneck from NC but I'll try.
Thanks RSR.

This was my point. California is a different universe for buying new Ferraris, or new Porsche GT cars. It's much more expensive and painful to try to buy either in California and the dealers pull things on you that they can't get away with in the rest of the country.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,909 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Thanks RSR.

This was my point. California is a different universe for buying new Ferraris, or new Porsche GT cars. It's much more expensive and painful to try to buy either in California and the dealers pull things on you that they can't get away with in the rest of the country.
It's annoying as fock how so many of the dealers in CA treat their customers. Some of us work very hard to have the ability to buy such nice toys and when these scumbags try to extract all the cash they can it pisses me off. If not for both of my jobs, I'd be living in a different state. It's bad enough that CA has so many NIMBY liberals and is one of the highest taxed states in the US, we don't need these kind of stealers.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,909 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer

Don't mind Unotaz, he thinks that things work the same way everywhere as they do in CA. I don't even want to know how many garage spots a home in NC would have for $1m.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Don't mind Unotaz, he thinks that things work the same way everywhere as they do in CA. I don't even want to know how many garage spots a home in NC would have for $1m.
It would have all the garage spots. All of them.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,436 Likes on 5,019 Posts

That's disappointing, considering the 720S has 710hp and the expected 488 refresh (speciale) is supposed to have 700-710hp.

Shame that Porsche's top 911, which is expected to be similarly priced to the 488 and 720S, will be lagging both those cars horsepower before it's even produced.
These days, particularly in the the forced induction world, Porsche can't continue with their measly 5% power increases, and stay competitive.

I know a lot of you guys on this thread are considering a GT2RS, but depreciation aside, I'm not sure why someone would buy a GT2RS over a McLaren 720s? The 720S will smoke a GT2RS on the track as it has more power and is much lighter, Mclaren is likely more comfortable driving on the road while still great on the track with the adjustable suspension, and both cars are RWD turbos with DCT transmissions.

If depreciation is your primary concern, then you can buy the 488 now or 488 speciale the following year, which is likely to hold its value well and will have more horsepower than the GT2RS.

Different situation these days compared to previous years when the GT2RS was a unique animal, with its raw nature and manual gearbox, and when high-powered turbo sports cars weren't so prevalent.
I understand why people bought GT2/RSs at that time, but I'm not sure why you buy a GT2RS next year, given the competition at the same price, as all three cars are RWD, turbo, and DCT, and I don't think the GT2RS will be as raw in a 991 wheelbase/chassis.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade. Please help me understand if I'm missing something.
That's a pretty big aside.

Especially when McLaren seems to make a habit of introducing a newer iteration of the same model even before the current model is finished with production.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,436 Likes on 5,019 Posts

I'm saying that California is a unique market for any high end sports car, compared to the rest of the country. You may be well versed in buying a new Ferrari in California, but in the rest of the country it's much easier to get a mid-cycle speciale type car than it is in California. I've been looking at Ferraris for years before moving to SoCal last year, so I know the market outside of this state, but I concede that you have much more experience than I do buying Ferraris in California.

So getting back to my original point, directed to all posters on this forum-

You have to buy a few Porsches to get a GT2RS or a few Ferraris to get a Speciale. As the MSRP on both cars is expected to be similar, and there are lots of people who own both Porsches and Ferraris, I'm not sure why in this era someone chooses a GT2RS over a 488 Speciale?
Or to get away from arguing about Ferrari allocations, why does someone choose a GT2RS over a 488, which will likely be almost exactly the same power, similar price, also turbo, RWD, DCT, also hold its value well, still rare, and arguably more attractive than the GT2RS, with similar performance?
Reliability and dealership network.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

One thing that's been heard consistently by a number of people, and confirmed by dealers who know, is that the 2RS is going to cost more than 2x the price of a .2GT3; up to €300,000.
i heard same

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS