Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:18 PM
GT288
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Fortunately, that is a very easy and cheap DIY fix (unlike missing Clubsport package and some other options).
Isn't there the clear option somewhere? I've seen several GT3 with clear side markers swapped out.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:24 PM
GT288
Instructor

There's definitely going to be more than 1,000 GT2 RS being made. Because I was told by my local dealership when asking for an allocation. Since ALL 918 Spyder owners are guaranteed an allocation, which of course is 918 owners at least. I think they'll make 2,000-3,500 cars. I really don't care. As long as I can get one I won't think anything of it.

Mclaren showed off the 570s spyder. They are making TOO MANY cars!! It's like as soon as you get one they're about to make another one. The fact they all have the same Nissan engine (they bought the rights to it) at that. The Mclaren sex appeal is fading fast for me. I still love the 675LT. It's like they are forcing a heritage like Ferrari and Porsche. By putting as many cars out there as fast as they can make them.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Before LED the side markers were easy and cheap to swap out. But now all the side markers are LED and require a special lense. Not cheap but certainly doable.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Even if you are able to buy the cage, it still won't work properly.

The body in white is different for North American cars than RoW cars. Our cars are missing the factory reinforcements on the mount points. So in an actual rollover, the cage will just punch right through the sheet metal.

Same thing with all after market cages, unless the during installations the mount points are reinforced.
I just sent AP an email about this.

It can't be right that a Weissach optioned GT2RS comes without roll bar?!
I sent him this link: https://www.bmwusa.com/limited-editi...es/m4-gts.html

Isn't it the same as on the 997, just weld plates in like the factory does?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:04 PM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GT288
There's definitely going to be more than 1,000 GT2 RS being made. Because I was told by my local dealership when asking for an allocation. Since ALL 918 Spyder owners are guaranteed an allocation, which of course is 918 owners at least. I think they'll make 2,000-3,500 cars. I really don't care. As long as I can get one I won't think anything of it.

Mclaren showed off the 570s spyder. They are making TOO MANY cars!! It's like as soon as you get one they're about to make another one. The fact they all have the same Nissan engine (they bought the rights to it) at that. The Mclaren sex appeal is fading fast for me. I still love the 675LT. It's like they are forcing a heritage like Ferrari and Porsche. By putting as many cars out there as fast as they can make them.
918 owner in the UK and haven't been offered or guaranteed a car
Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The fact they all have the same Nissan engine (they bought the rights to it) at that.
Well, the current engine is a RICARDO engine, not Nissan. But don't know what's the exact Nissan involvement that you mentioned. Care to comment?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
The M4 GTS was able to pass US regulation by adding foam pads around the roll cage (most buyers of the GTS then removed when the car was purchased).

I don't get that. All I hear about at the track is how dangerous cages can be without padding on the parts you possibly might come in contact with....
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM
GT288
Instructor

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Well, the current engine is a RICARDO engine, not Nissan. But don't know what's the exact Nissan involvement that you mentioned. Care to comment?
Indeed

http://jalopnik.com/this-20-year-old...ren-1793155467
Old 07-05-2017, 05:22 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like this?
Exactly. Much better. Add a rollcage and tinted glass and it's it.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM
GT288
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
918 owner in the UK and haven't been offered or guaranteed a car
Interesting. So I need to lump that in with all of the articles being that they are all sold out. If the dealership doesn't even know what's going on then what gives?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just sent AP an email about this.

It can't be right that a Weissach optioned GT2RS comes without roll bar?!
I sent him this link: https://www.bmwusa.com/limited-editi...es/m4-gts.html

Isn't it the same as on the 997, just weld plates in like the factory does?

Walliser and I had extensive talk about the cage. Porsche will not mickey mouse it's way around US laws like BMW did with the roll cage.

BUT, now is the chance for you Americans to finally have a say.

DoT needs to repeal quite a few laws in order to pass the truck speed limiter law, they need to review existing ones and repeals the outdated and pointless laws first.

Write to your Congressman and suggest repeal the relevant laws concerning the roll cage's safety.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting. So I need to lump that in with all of the articles being that they are all sold out. If the dealership doesn't even know what's going on then what gives?
My dealer doesn't even know if they are getting a car. Others say they have a order.

Still got my fingers crossed
Old 07-05-2017, 06:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Walliser and I had extensive talk about the cage. Porsche will not mickey mouse it's way around US laws like BMW did with the roll cage.

BUT, now is the chance for you Americans to finally have a say.

DoT needs to repeal quite a few laws in order to pass the truck speed limiter law, they need to review existing ones and repeals the outdated and pointless laws first.

Write to your Congressman and suggest repeal the relevant laws concerning the roll cage's safety.
Walliser and AP both were making notes while we spoke about CS package in a box..

"That's what disclaimers are for"
"like the Dodge Demon crate"

Their words, not mine.
If they do something g with the notes than that's then left to find one t is how to properly install it.
For the 997 we duplicated the factory setup accurately.
Is there more to it in the 991 than "just" welding in plates?

I can't see myself driving GT2RS speeds without a cage and I don't exactly see how you can't get the Ti roll bar after spending $31K for the Weissach package or start welding and drilling??

But point taken about having the cars arrive with it installed.
Who at the DoT needs to receive the envelope?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There's definitely going to be more than 1,000 GT2 RS being made. Because I was told by my local dealership when asking for an allocation. Since ALL 918 Spyder owners are guaranteed an allocation, which of course is 918 owners at least.
I don't think this is quite right because many of the 918 owners sold their cars too soon which, as I understand it, means they forfeited their position on future special models. My best guess is that no more than 60% of 918s are still with their original owners.

Last edited by Tuner1; 07-05-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: 1
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
Looks like black, white, red, yellow are standard.

Miami, GT silver, lava, chalk are $4220 extra.
Originally Posted by JPMD
Something needs to be done. Porsche is loosing in all endurance racing series to the other manufactures including Ford and Chey
Originally Posted by e6tme
Dear Lord who was driving? That was embarrassing.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Walliser and AP both were making notes while we spoke about CS package in a box..

"That's what disclaimers are for"
"like the Dodge Demon crate"

Their words, not mine.
If they do something g with the notes than that's then left to find one t is how to properly install it.
For the 997 we duplicated the factory setup accurately.
Is there more to it in the 991 than "just" welding in plates?

I can't see myself driving GT2RS speeds without a cage and I don't exactly see how you can't get the Ti roll bar after spending $31K for the Weissach package or start welding and drilling??

But point taken about having the cars arrive with it installed.
Who at the DoT needs to receive the envelope?
Let's say you have to call up the dealer and order the Ti rollbar through the parts counter - what would they charge for a stand-alone Ti rollbar? $15K?

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS