991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,506 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
TI really appreciate the detailed response.
+1, great write-up.

Interesting to note that the M4 GTS also went with adjustable passive dampers, and IIRC GT4 Club Sport has passive dampers also.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I finally got the ACR out on the track. WOW what an experience. After a few sessions feeling like I was all thumbs I wrestled the beast into submission ( actually we tuned the Compression and rebound and tire pressure). I was running with my two friends for the weekend along with 27 other cars in the advanced run group. One friend with a Ferrari 458 challenge which is now 30 track days old to him and my friend who co-owns the Viper ACR with me running his off the hook 964 prototype race car with a 3.6 liter motor. Can I tell you it was the best day of my track life so far. I've been racing and DE tracking for nearly 15 years. The last ten years in a Lotus Elise factory built racecar. This was Lotus Elise level turn in ability but like with Vacuum cleaner level adhesion and rocket ship acceleration. What a ball to drive. Now fair warning. Its not gonna be cheap. We went thru a set of Front Tires in ten 25 minute sessions and probably most of a set of front Brake pads. So this kind of experience comes with a huge price tag. But man it is worth it. We were turning 1:11ish on the Lightning track at New Jersey Motorsports park and I am sure there is another two seconds in experience to be gained. WhooHoo!!
Jon in Delaware
Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
No it's more like trading a bicycle for a horse.

A bike can be many things.

you can't really just take a horse anywhere and if you **** off a horse it will bruise you badly.
Hahaha!
Too good
Old 06-21-2016, 02:40 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 257 Posts

I do know one went 1:40 on R6 and Suspension at Autoclub recently
Old 06-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

1:11's at Lightning is fast!

I'm running 1:13's in my Boss 302 Trans Am TA3.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:35 AM
911turbos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dodge sold 159 ACR extremes today. The order banks opened at 5:00AM EST for the 3 commerative 2017 ACR Extremes they were all sold today.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:49 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911turbos
Dodge sold 159 ACR extremes today. The order banks opened at 5:00AM EST for the 3 commerative 2017 ACR Extremes they were all sold today.
Approx. $22mm then. Not a bad day in the office!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I do know one went 1:40 on R6 and Suspension at Autoclub recently
I did a 1:42 on the kumhos first time at ACS in a stock 3 point belt. I cannot wait for my track season to start again!!

I will say vs other fast cars at ACS there is an aero wall with the ACR once you get over 135-140mph.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalton
We were turning 1:11ish on the Lightning track at New Jersey Motorsports park and I am sure there is another two seconds in experience to be gained. WhooHoo!!
Jon in Delaware
Jon, ACR is Awesome!

I would think you can go faster than 1:09 in the ACR, my bet 1:07 (for comparison have done high 1:08's in a Cayman (GTB-1 specs).
Charlie
Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

That's impressive in the Caymen GTB! I would be spanking well driven 997 cup cars at 1:07. I look forward to going more experience
Originally Posted by chas911
Jon, ACR is Awesome!

I would think you can go faster than 1:09 in the ACR, my bet 1:07 (for comparison have done high 1:08's in a Cayman (GTB-1 specs).
Charlie
Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'm trying really hard to like this car and even spoke to Woodhouse, from whom I've bought a few Porsches in the past, about getting one.

I just can't seem to get over spending $150k on a Dodge Viper. Just sitting in it turns me off. I guess I need to drive it. The numbers, track times, and good drivers recommending them don't lie I guess.
KYROCKS, I'm in the same camp as you and I actually drove one at Thermal in a comparison to the stock viper and a few other exotics. You can get a GT3 and mod it up quite nicely with some sticky tires, and it will be quicker around Thermal vs the ACR for not much more money.....how do I know, we have done the comparison. What it lacks in refinement, it more than makes up for it in torque but I just couldn't enjoy the low revving motor.....I missed the 9K redline after 3 laps in the ACR....

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 AM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911turbos
It was actually over 200 in 2-days according to my Viper-concierge. But those were orders, not necessarily pre-sold units. The big 3 (Roanoke, Tomball and Woodhouse) loaded up on orders once the banks opened on Thursday.
Those dealers will load up on cars, even if they aren't sold, just like a couple of them did with the Gen IV. Technically, they were sold by Dodge, just to dealers.
S.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
KYROCKS, I'm in the same camp as you and I actually drove one at Thermal in a comparison to the stock viper and a few other exotics. You can get a GT3 and mod it up quite nicely with some sticky tires, and it will be quicker around Thermal vs the ACR for not much more money.....how do I know, we have done the comparison. What it lacks in refinement, it more than makes up for it in torque but I just couldn't enjoy the low revving motor.....I missed the 9K redline after 3 laps in the ACR....
James, I appreciate your comments, however you guys didn't set the car up for the track, which is part and parcel of the ACR's abilities as it's infinitely adjustable and accessible in doing so.

Additionally, you didn't remove the fender louvres to assist with braking and i heard that you guys thought the brakes went off after a few laps. Same goes for the hood vents to assist with heat dissipation.

Lastly and most importantly Thermal is a high speed track and you're talking about a car with a 177mph top speed which is way down against the competitors that day. It was extremely obvious from the outset that the ACR would struggle due to the low top speed which is sacrificed for downforce. Look at the ACR lap times across other and more technical tracks.

With respect to the low revving motor - that's something that i can understand and agree with - nothing is more fun than going up to 8 or 9k in a CGT or GT3 and which is why i always love a naturally aspirated engine compared to Turbo's etc. The Viper simply uses a large capacity engine and TQ to achieve it's speed which isn't as visceral overall compared to lower capacity engines with higher redlines. It's a completely different approach to obtaining speed, one that is always nice to change up every now and again.

Overall when you think a base ACR Extreme was literally the price of the overs on a 991 RS a few months back it really is a performance bargain.

Josh
Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I did a 1:42 on the kumhos first time at ACS in a stock 3 point belt. I cannot wait for my track season to start again!!

I will say vs other fast cars at ACS there is an aero wall with the ACR once you get over 135-140mph.
On nice. Didn't have any reference times. I hear you, I take a break in the summer. Too hot for me. 😐
Old 06-27-2016, 04:28 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by LA Brit
James, I appreciate your comments, however you guys didn't set the car up for the track, which is part and parcel of the ACR's abilities as it's infinitely adjustable and accessible in doing so. Additionally, you didn't remove the fender louvres to assist with braking and i heard that you guys thought the brakes went off after a few laps. Same goes for the hood vents to assist with heat dissipation. Lastly and most importantly Thermal is a high speed track and you're talking about a car with a 177mph top speed which is way down against the competitors that day. It was extremely obvious from the outset that the ACR would struggle due to the low top speed which is sacrificed for downforce. Look at the ACR lap times across other and more technical tracks. With respect to the low revving motor - that's something that i can understand and agree with - nothing is more fun than going up to 8 or 9k in a CGT or GT3 and which is why i always love a naturally aspirated engine compared to Turbo's etc. The Viper simply uses a large capacity engine and TQ to achieve it's speed which isn't as visceral overall compared to lower capacity engines with higher redlines. It's a completely different approach to obtaining speed, one that is always nice to change up every now and again. Overall when you think a base ACR Extreme was literally the price of the overs on a 991 RS a few months back it really is a performance bargain. Josh

Running the ACR without setting it up or doing the aero is just as worthless as taking a 991 cup to the track without doing the same thing.

Also- Thermal is completely paperclip with only 2 aero related corners the entire track and that is only if you run the combined course. Running the config that a lot of people run like the hyper 5 videos is completely pointless because no other track is going to have such a disproportionate amount of hairpins.

Anyone that wants to run an ACR on the west coast at a track like Sonoma, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow won't be disappointed. I'd say willow springs but your tires will be toast in 4-6 sessions.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR