Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll echo comments about the ACR being quicker than GT3 and for that matter RS on track. The ACR must be set up there is a supplemental manual with details and it's not hard. The high RPM of GT3 is great, but the manual transmission of the ACR is great, too. Sound and "feel" are too subjective to say what is "better." Viper has a unique exhaust note and has its nastiness, too, especially since it's side exhaust.

I'd personally bet that unless you put slicks on a GT car and have most turns require mechanical grip (say under 85 mph mid-corner), that no way will a GT car run with an ACR, but it would be fun to see.

I will say that IMO the Viper has too much push and I am working on that. I plan to try a different front bar and probably also fabricate a bigger front splitter if taking out rear wing does not help balance the car. I think the rear wing and diffuser is too much aero for the front splitter and removing some vents.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I'll echo comments about the ACR being quicker than GT3 and for that matter RS on track. The ACR must be set up there is a supplemental manual with details and it's not hard. The high RPM of GT3 is great, but the manual transmission of the ACR is great, too. Sound and "feel" are too subjective to say what is "better." Viper has a unique exhaust note and has its nastiness, too, especially since it's side exhaust. I'd personally bet that unless you put slicks on a GT car and have most turns require mechanical grip (say under 85 mph mid-corner), that no way will a GT car run with an ACR, but it would be fun to see. I will say that IMO the Viper has too much push and I am working on that. I plan to try a different front bar and probably also fabricate a bigger front splitter if taking out rear wing does not help balance the car. I think the rear wing and diffuser is too much aero for the front splitter and removing some vents.
Keith in order to get the push out of the car for corner entry you just have to build the G up slowly with wider arc ratio.

Mid corner push- you can chop the gas abruptly to tuck the nose in or just wait longer and go straight to 100% throttle a little faster.

There is no mistaking the 8.4L anchor in the front however i also find that the seating position makes you feel like it understeers more than it really does.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911turbos
Dodge sold 159 ACR extremes today. The order banks opened at 5:00AM EST for the 3 commerative 2017 ACR Extremes they were all sold today.
Not yet to customers. Just call one of the BIG Three Dealers and you an get one or, you can do their 1 of 1 Program and spec anything you want. Try Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse, he will make it happen. Best, Allan
Old 06-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
KYROCKS, I'm in the same camp as you and I actually drove one at Thermal in a comparison to the stock viper and a few other exotics. You can get a GT3 and mod it up quite nicely with some sticky tires, and it will be quicker around Thermal vs the ACR for not much more money.....how do I know, we have done the comparison. What it lacks in refinement, it more than makes up for it in torque but I just couldn't enjoy the low revving motor.....I missed the 9K redline after 3 laps in the ACR....

I saw the layout of that track and it would be more suited to the Viper TA that isn't restricted by all that aero. Aero looks like it would be mostly wasted on that part of the track and be more of a hindrance so its no surprise a "modded" GT3 RS would be a match for an ACR on a track like that.

I'd like to see that modded GT3 RS take on the ACR at a track like Laguna, VIR etc where aero comes into play before deciding that a modded GT3 RS is on par or faster than a stock ACR across the board. I don't think it would be far off as the RS is phenominal stock so with the right mods...wow I'd like to see what it would do against the current uber track car.

I think Porsche would need a "GT2" with more aero and power than the RS to compete stock to stock with the ACR on most tracks.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Keith in order to get the push out of the car for corner entry you just have to build the G up slowly with wider arc ratio.

Mid corner push- you can chop the gas abruptly to tuck the nose in or just wait longer and go straight to 100% throttle a little faster.

There is no mistaking the 8.4L anchor in the front however i also find that the seating position makes you feel like it understeers more than it really does.
I wish you were closer as I would like to drive your car and vice versa. I'm telling you it is a significant push on turn in, mid corner, and corner exit. I know I can kick the throttle mid corner to rotate the car, but that is a Band-Aid for the typical street car (my GT3 included) but I would never accept that on one of my race cars. The push hampers my ability to turn in and it keeps me out of the throttle on exit. Maybe there is something wrong with my set up or peculiar to my car. All the data tells me the front is sliding more. I build pressure in the front tires faster, I wear them out faster, and if I'm not careful, I can destroy them very quickly. The car actually has more weight over the rear wheels, so it is not a weight distribution issue. My 2016 Miata has better balance. I tend to think part of it may also be too much rear tire. 355 rear and 295 front when weight is close to 50/50. I'd really like to talk directly with Dick Winckles and see what he has to say, as I feel like I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

Don't get me wrong, the car is really fast but I feel like I am leaving a significant amount of pace on the table by being so gentle with the throttle and steering Input.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 AM
silverarrow
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really enjoyed reading this thread. CJ and Keith has been great contributors to making my decision. Funny the info I need is in RL
Old 06-29-2016, 04:08 AM
silverarrow
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allans
Not yet to customers. Just call one of the BIG Three Dealers and you an get one or, you can do their 1 of 1 Program and spec anything you want. Try Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse, he will make it happen. Best, Allan
Who's the third big dealer? Viperexchange, Woodhouse &...
Old 06-29-2016, 08:04 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by silverarrow
Who's the third big dealer? Viperexchange, Woodhouse &...
Roanoke
Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keith I ran into Chris Winkler ( SRT factory engineer that set the 11 of 13 track records) and asked him the same question you have, his suggestion was to put a little more rake into the car. His opinion was the car didn't push so I'm assuming SRT engineers had his set up this way.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

This has to be a repost given the date but it just popped up on Jalopnik, I like Andy Lally, and I can't be bothered to read through the whole thread so here it is. Makes me want to go buy one....

Write up to go with video here:
http://jalopnik.com/2016-dodge-viper...iew-1719237409

Last edited by Nizer; 07-05-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by Greygt3
Keith I ran into Chris Winkler ( SRT factory engineer that set the 11 of 13 track records) and asked him the same question you have, his suggestion was to put a little more rake into the car. His opinion was the car didn't push so I'm assuming SRT engineers had his set up this way.
I did 3 turns on rear spring perches, putting in about 1.75" rake and still pushes, although maybe a bit less. I have found that if you really take it easy warming tires and start 30 cold all around, drive 5 min, then bleed down to 32, then a bit faster for 5-10 min, then bleed down to 33, then drive hard that the front tires don't come apart anyway. But at end of session my outside front still finishes at 37 psi. I bleed off over 10psi and no way can you start at 25, as I destroyed inner and outer shoulders trying that.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I did 3 turns on rear spring perches, putting in about 1.75" rake and still pushes, although maybe a bit less. I have found that if you really take it easy warming tires and start 30 cold all around, drive 5 min, then bleed down to 32, then a bit faster for 5-10 min, then bleed down to 33, then drive hard that the front tires don't come apart anyway. But at end of session my outside front still finishes at 37 psi. I bleed off over 10psi and no way can you start at 25, as I destroyed inner and outer shoulders trying that.
have you tried smaller diameter wheels and higher profile tires yet?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
have you tried smaller diameter wheels and higher profile tires yet?
Given that is a $6k mod, not yet. Exhausting setup options first
Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default CCM to Iron Rotor Conversion

RB is pleased to announce that iron two piece rotors are now available.

The item is officially up for order.
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-T...for-p/2497.htm

We have one complete set ready to ship.

The rotor ring is upgraded to heavy duty in 36mm thickness (vs. OE 34mm) and is certified to be compatible with OE caliper, and provides full contact surface for OE brake pads.

Another exclusive offer proudly presented by RacingBrake in serving Viper's braking needs.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Front rotor fully assembled - Top View

390x36mm (vs. OE CCM 390x34mm)

Weight: 28.24 lbs

Front View:

Disc is sized to be compatible with OE CCM brake pads, also to compare it with earlier Viper pads with iron rotors (355mm):

1. Left - RB's sintered (Full metallic pad for CCM rotor) - Compatible to OE CCM pad (D1395 duly modified)
2. Middle - Viper's ACR-X oversize pad (D1001)
3. Right - Standard Viper ACR pad (D968)

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR