Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I've been very happy with New Age in my hangar. Very well built and work well. Relatively easy to install as well. I buy them through home depot using my Amex points to buy home depot gift cards. I would put them in my house, but I had my cabinet guy make those years ago. I would rather have the new age ones, but I'm not going to tear out perfectly good cabinets.

Same here. I've done two garages with New Age. Costco sells sets and on occasion puts sets on sale.

EDIT: I use the Pro Series it is really really nice. They are made in China and I suspect tariffs have raised the price. I think very few metal cabinets are made in USA but the fact is being made in China can mean better quality. Sad, but true.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 05-03-2021 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spyerx (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:54 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by charles06
Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. As for the wires, I figured that if I left enough slack, it would be ok. Currently, I have my GT3 on the lift, and it goes up and down with the battery tender plugged in. The only wires/cords you see are on the backside of the lift, running next to the power cord for the actual lift.
here’s what I put up. Works well. I will buy an extension piece to bring the lights all the way across to the far post. Paired with a Hue Motion Sensor.

the light on the ground is mostly from the strip. There’s a bit of light coming from outside, though not much, it’s almost 6pm and overcast outside. Will have a look tonight when it’s night. I had a car under the lift last night, so couldn’t judge well.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:56 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
NewAge Bold is garbage... thin steel pin hinges, single wall, etc. NewAge PRO is completely different and often gets overlooked because of the Bold line. It has the same gauge steel at Sonic MSS (MSS+ is a different animal and Lista competitor) and Saber. In addition to the thicker steel it has double walled doors - something that Sonic MSS and Saber do not offer. NA PRO has similar hardware to Saber with nice hinges and soft close doors, ball bearing drawers etc and way nicer hardware than Sonic MSS. NewAge PRO also has not experienced the price increase for whatever reason as Saber and others that rely on Chinese steel. Couple that with their sales at Lowes (plus veterans 10% discount if applicable) and they are the most competing value proposition I was able to find when I did my research. Sonic is made with similar hardware as NewAge BOLD (hinges, dingle wall doors, etc) with NewAge Pro gauge steel.

There are many that talk smack (i.e. obsessed garage) about NewAge but that's because they have only put their hands on the Bold series and not the Pro series. The Pro series is great and better IMO than Saber, Sonic[MSS] and certainly anything I could find for less money as well.

Hopefully you can find some locally to go see in person because the marketing doesn't articulate the differences I mentioned at all. Happy to FaceTime or Zoom with you to show on video what I am talking about.
Yes, sorry, I should have been more precise. Pro Series New Age is what I used.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Cabinets:

Moving to a new to us house, will be installing about 20-25ft of cabinets along front of garage along with a general remodel of the garage over next few months. Goal is probably 3-4 base cabinet with wall cabs above it, with wood or stainless counter for tool and general storage, and 3-4 large cabinets for 'stuff'. The garage has a large storage area where I'll use rack storage for bulk items. I'm hopefully consolidating 2 2 car garages into this 1 garage!

Current garage is much smaller and I've been happy with Saber for last few years. I don't need (although I may WANT!) Lista, etc.

What is the current thinking on the best value choice? Seems Saber about 3x their pricing in the last 3 years... !!!! New Age? Others?
my middle name is satan.
say I send you ONE Lista.
then you will be forced to match that in the rest of the garage...
what's your address again?
Old 05-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
my middle name is satan.
say I send you ONE Lista.
then you will be forced to match that in the rest of the garage...
what's your address again?
stay away satan

yeah I’d do the new age pro. I spec out a rough estimate and it’s 4-5k for new he or saber was near 2x that lista would be another 2x lol

thanks for sharing experiences.

besides mooty i need more money to buy crap you’re selling.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:41 AM
fsts2k
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I buy them through home depot using my Amex points to buy home depot gift cards.
This might be the best advice I have read on this forum, brilliant! Screw using AMEX points to travel... the fact that I can turn business expenses into garage organization is perfect. AMEX -> HD Gift Cards have typically been the conversion rate offered.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by fsts2k
This might be the best advice I have read on this forum, brilliant! Screw using AMEX points to travel... the fact that I can turn business expenses into garage organization is perfect. AMEX -> HD Gift Cards have typically been the conversion rate offered.
I bailed on Amex or any travel points because when I travel I make it tax deductable most of the time. And using points never worked for me somehow. I use the Capital One Spark Visa which gives me 2% back and I take it personally tax-free. Some vendors don't want to take Amex because of the higher fees, and I push our suppliers to take Visa with no surcharge if they want to keep my business and that works some of the time. I just deposited a $10k check this week. Cash money brutha.
exit87 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Does anyone have pics of a garage in the ~28'x28' scale? I am considering putting in a 2-car garage and am narrowing down the scale, but its hard to visualize. It would be next to my existing 2 car 22x23' garage, have space for 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, winter tire stacks, and a little bench. I think this would be large enough for a 4 post lift later. I could go a bit deeper to 30' but because of the steep grade, the foundation and fill is very expensive. I think I'm at about $40K with a 28'x28'.

Also, has anyone built off the side of a hill (its a 10-12' drop on the left and top side of the pic above)? I'm curious if your engineer had any special requirements for the foundation walls and fill. I need an engineer!
Old 05-04-2021, 04:14 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub
Does anyone have pics of a garage in the ~28'x28' scale? I am considering putting in a 2-car garage and am narrowing down the scale, but its hard to visualize. It would be next to my existing 2 car 22x23' garage, have space for 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, winter tire stacks, and a little bench. I think this would be large enough for a 4 post lift later. I could go a bit deeper to 30' but because of the steep grade, the foundation and fill is very expensive. I think I'm at about $40K with a 28'x28'.

Also, has anyone built off the side of a hill (its a 10-12' drop on the left and top side of the pic above)? I'm curious if your engineer had any special requirements for the foundation walls and fill. I need an engineer!

It’s a mess, but gives you an idea of size . 25.5 deep x 27 wide inside dimensions. Doors and swing wide open. My wife’s x3m easily fits with the tractor parked in the back. I am also on a steep hill. The garage goes from on grade to 10’ deep to the foundation. My sub grade wasn’t compacted enough and the floor cracked.
b0rderman (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting it cracked.. what did they fill it with? Did they use fabric and rebar underneath concrete? My guy said he will just fill with crusher and not compact! Ugh. Do you have more pics of your garage? Maybe an outside shot? or better overall shot? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

The stone was compacted with a jumping jack tamper. Rebar was inserted into the block wall with a bout six feet sticking out the top, then bent over flat to the floor. Floor was then tied rebar. It sucks that it cracked, but it has not worsened in the past 20 years. I know it settled, because if I tap on the floor in the very back left corner it sounds hollow.
Originally Posted by Sub
Interesting it cracked.. what did they fill it with? Did they use fabric and rebar underneath concrete? My guy said he will just fill with crusher and not compact! Ugh. Do you have more pics of your garage? Maybe an outside shot? or better overall shot? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:19 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Old 05-04-2021, 06:15 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 137 Posts

Rearranged a few things. Moved trailer to another storage unit and setup tire station.

The following 11 users liked this post by awew911:
007DT (05-06-2021), 911-140.6 (05-14-2021), AllAboutThatP (05-05-2021), David Borden (05-13-2021), Finlander (05-13-2021), itrsteve (05-06-2021), Rick GT3 (05-12-2021), rocris120 (07-16-2024), RolandT (05-06-2021), spyderbret (05-05-2021), XLR82XS (05-10-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Default Lift

Passing this along this Craigslist find.

https://delaware.craigslist.org/tls/...315898432.html
horns (01-23-2022)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:01 AM
fsts2k
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I bailed on Amex or any travel points because when I travel I make it tax deductible most of the time. And using points never worked for me somehow. I use the Capital One Spark Visa which gives me 2% back and I take it personally tax-free. Some vendors don't want to take Amex because of the higher fees, and I push our suppliers to take Visa with no surcharge if they want to keep my business and that works some of the time. I just deposited a $10k check this week. Cash money brutha.
Makes sense

I am restricted to AMEX for my company travel charges... long story but it works.

Quick Reply: picture of your garage