Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennsport V Report...Let's start with the talk of Andreas Preuninger!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:31 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Clarification from AP on status of PDK in the GT4...

Feb 3, 2015 - "We started out with the manual transmission, because there is a call for that throughout the world". [I]Source: transcribed EVO interview (you tube)[/url]

August, 2015 - "..if the GT4 concept proves popular, we will offer both gearboxes next time around." Source: Excellence Magazine, August 2015 issue.

August 28, 2015 - "Yes, GT4 will get PDK, I expects half of all GT4 to US will be PDK. Is PDK better? It is not better or worse, but different. PDK is faster". Source: direct testimony from Matt and Kendra's Weissach visit during ED - Planet-9 Thread

Sept 28, 2015 - "There is some individual that had an interview with me, apparently, which I don't know of, and some internet forums stated that there will be a PDK version of this car (points to the gt4 in front of him and he pauses briefly)...No sir, not the case, we will not do it. This is purely a manual car. Maybe in future generations..." Source: Eduardo on Rennlist post #67 reportedly from a presentation recorded by the author. This Thread

Sept 28, 2015 (30 minutes later) - "...I spoke with Andy for over 30 minutes behind the Porsche hospitality tent, he told me (items 1, 2, 3 &).... #4. PDK will be out sooner than later in a GT4". Source: Rosenbergendo: Same thread as above, post #27

I'm glad that clears things up.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
You can drop 100lbs alone by leaving PDK and RWS off the spec.
Well, this is not entirely true. PDK vs. manual is 45lbs difference, and RWS adds 35lbs with regular battery and less if battery is lightweight. So it's 80lbs or less added. Not significant for such an aready heavy car. But on the other hand, it's a slippery slope which leads in a bad direction - e.g., why not add an AWD with another 150lbs or so
Old 09-29-2015, 02:30 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: Sunroofs on the US .1 (base) gt3s

Originally Posted by dark knight
this is sad, it would be cool if body in white were same, its annoying when we don't get the same car, like the first GT3s
that had sunroof-blecch
Originally Posted by gmaki
He actually addressed this and apologies if I misspeak but this is what I heard him say about past GT3's with sunroof.

There is a US safety test for how infants fare in collisions. In the test they apparently fire a ball the approximate size of
an infants head and measure the deceleration forces as it strikes various part of the interior.

He said the only way they could get the GT3 to pass this test was to put a sunroof in, something about the give in the roof
when struck by the ball. It was too late in the development cycle to get the car approved any other way, so the US, for
"safety" reasons got the sunroof.
Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
AP has a wicked sense of humor, LOL...

Wonder why it was possible to order a 997.1 without a sunroof. Guess the plain vanilla 997.1 had an unobtanium roof.

It was PCNA who wanted sunroof's on the 997.1 GT3's, guessing that AP was just poking fun at them indirectly

2slow: Well, your theory as to why the US 997.1 gt3s came with a sunroof (PCNA wanted them) is certainly plausible. I have myself
questioned PCNA & their US dealer network in the past regarding their 'resistance' to allow customers the option to order sport bucket
seats. So that PCNA & dealers may have wanted 'sunroof' on the gt3 to help 'sales' would not be unprecedented. But let me make two
points on this topic:

a) Just to understand what we are talking about, do we agree that US spec MY2007/2008 .1 997 gt3 could NOT be ordered without a
sunroof? By the time the late arriving MY2007/2008 .1 997 gt3 RS model was homologated for the US, PAG had apparently surmounted
the headliner/insulation problem (they were able to solve the 'bounce' issues with the 'infant head' *****) and that model did NOT include
a sunroof. And by the time the US .2 997 gt3 arrived as a MY2010, the sunroof was 'gone' in the non-RS models too. Are we in agreement
on these facts?

b) Now that Preuninger told us yesterday about the reason why they initially had to include a sunroof in the US spec .1 997 gt3 to satisfy
some unexpected US government DOT regulations re: roof insulation in case of an accidental roll-over, I frankly find it hard to believe
Andreas would make that story up to justify that unusual addition (a heavy sunroof) to a GT product from Porsche Motorsports! But that's
just my gut feeling!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-29-2015, 02:30 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

There is a certain 'art' in quoting Porsche personal, especially as a civilian, as oppose to a reporter.

When talking to them in a private setting as a 'civilian', they kind of expect the stuff will be off the record, like how a reporter said the interview is finished and the official stuff are over.

Some selected stuff should stay private, may not be fair to forum members, but it is how the game is played. And if one cannot stay silent over stuff discussed, it should not be directly linked back to the source.

Porsche personal works for a company we respected, and those people have a career on the line, we should not jeopardize their career within our beloved company in order to have an 'exclusive' news to break on a forum.

AP was pretty much painted into a corner in the PCA tent during the interview, please give him a little slack in the future, you guys liked him and I think you guys want him to have a long and successful career in Porsche.

The key to getting stuff out of them is to earn their trust, over the 918 process I had learnt a lot more than I had ever posted here, info that I deemed were off the record when they told me. I think my judgement served me well up until now. This past weekend at the RRV, on Thursday night Porsche held 2 receptions, one for their VIP customers at the Bernardus Lodge, and another one at Portola Hotel & Spa. I happened to walked by the Portola Hotel after dinner and saw the reception, I wasn't an invitee there but when I saw people I know inside, I walked through the patio 'fence' and the bartender saw me do that and asked 'Do you belong here?' At that moment I was recognized by someone I know, and called out my name, I told the bartender to get me a beer and start chatting inside. Walliser was there, and so was the Le Mans drivers and a few more Porsche execs, had a great talk with all of them. And yes, I deemed everything I got out of them are off the record at the moment.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
As some of you might know, I'm very excited about the new interior AP is talking about. 525hp is more than enough for me. But less weight and a bit more RS DNA on the inside. Yummy! Can't wait.
I hope they make the interior sidings in full carbon fiber just like the Leggera and Speciale! Then no carpet LOL like a true race car!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:55 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
There is a certain 'art' in quoting Porsche personal, especially as a civilian, as oppose to a reporter.

When talking to them in a private setting as a 'civilian', they kind of expect the stuff will be off the record, like how a reporter said the interview is finished and the official stuff are over.

Some selected stuff should stay private, may not be fair to forum members, but it is how the game is played. And if one cannot stay silent over stuff discussed, it should not be directly linked back to the source.

Porsche personal works for a company we respected, and those people have a career on the line, we should not jeopardize their career within our beloved company in order to have an 'exclusive' news to break on a forum.

AP was pretty much painted into a corner in the PCA tent during the interview, please give him a little slack in the future, you guys liked him and I think you guys want him to have a long and successful career in Porsche.

The key to getting stuff out of them is to earn their trust, over the 918 process I had learnt a lot more than I had ever posted here, info that I deemed were off the record when they told me. I think my judgement served me well up until now. This past weekend at the RRV, on Thursday night Porsche held 2 receptions, one for their VIP customers at the Bernardus Lodge, and another one at Portola Hotel & Spa. I happened to walked by the Portola Hotel after dinner and saw the reception, I wasn't an invitee there but when I saw people I know inside, I walked through the patio 'fence' and the bartender saw me do that and asked 'Do you belong here?' At that moment I was recognized by someone I know, and called out my name, I told the bartender to get me a beer and start chatting inside. Walliser was there, and so was the Le Mans drivers and a few more Porsche execs, had a great talk with all of them. And yes, I deemed everything I got out of them are off the record at the moment.
Well stated!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:15 AM
RSVP911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-29-2015, 03:21 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, I missed the talk AP gave.

However, I ran into someone from Zuffenhausen at RRV, who volunteered, without my asking, that the manual transmission shall return to the GT3. The 1.2GT3 was implied.

With due deference to the source, it's not Deep Throat, but an Anonymous Person.

It was mentioned in this thread, but I think it is exciting enough for many folks, to bear repeating.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:39 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Andreas would make that story up to justify that unusual addition (a heavy sunroof) to a GT product from Porsche Motorsports! But that's
just my gut feeling!
I think more convincingly is, HOW could he, or anyone, make up such a story? It is so crazy that it has to be true. Anyone inventing a story would come up with something much more sensible.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:23 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Clarification from AP on status of PDK in the GT4...

Feb 3, 2015 - "We started out with the manual transmission, because there is a call for that throughout the world". [I]Source: transcribed EVO interview (you tube)[/url]

August, 2015 - "..if the GT4 concept proves popular, we will offer both gearboxes next time around." Source: Excellence Magazine, August 2015 issue.

August 28, 2015 - "Yes, GT4 will get PDK, I expects half of all GT4 to US will be PDK. Is PDK better? It is not better or worse, but different. PDK is faster". Source: direct testimony from Matt and Kendra's Weissach visit during ED - Planet-9 Thread

Sept 28, 2015 - "There is some individual that had an interview with me, apparently, which I don't know of, and some internet forums stated that there will be a PDK version of this car (points to the gt4 in front of him and he pauses briefly)...No sir, not the case, we will not do it. This is purely a manual car. Maybe in future generations..." Source: Eduardo on Rennlist post #67 reportedly from a presentation recorded by the author. This Thread

Sept 28, 2015 (30 minutes later) - "...I spoke with Andy for over 30 minutes behind the Porsche hospitality tent, he told me (items 1, 2, 3 &).... #4. PDK will be out sooner than later in a GT4". Source: Rosenbergendo: Same thread as above, post #27

I'm glad that clears things up.

I wasn't there in both instances of Matt meeting AP, nor was I there for the reunion (obviously), but I'm basing my assessment of what is being written:

Neither of you are wrong in my opinion. Just a lot of misunderstanding of statements I think. And my assessment is as follows.

When AP referred to "next time around" - Excellence magazine. I think he was referring to the Cayman GT4 (982 if there will be one, or even possibly, just possibly, a 981.2) but taking the words 'next time around' just means not for the current 981.1 GT4

When Eduardo reported "[people thinking] there will be a PDK version of this car" when AP spoke at the reunion, I think AP was referring to there WILL NOT be a PDK for the 981.1 GT4 (but possibly for the 981.2 or 982).

So I think that neither is wrong, just a lot of miss understanding.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:46 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

remember me a song Everything is possible
future is uncertain
Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Smile

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Unfortunately, I missed the talk AP gave.

However, I ran into someone from Zuffenhausen at RRV, who volunteered, without my asking, that the manual transmission shall return to the GT3. The 1.2GT3 was implied.

With due deference to the source, it's not Deep Throat, but an Anonymous Person.

It was mentioned in this thread, but I think it is exciting enough for many folks, to bear repeating.
Especially 997 ones
Old 09-29-2015, 04:52 AM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Well, this is not entirely true. PDK vs. manual is 45lbs difference, and RWS adds 35lbs with regular battery and less if battery is lightweight. So it's 80lbs or less added. Not significant for such an aready heavy car. But on the other hand, it's a slippery slope which leads in a bad direction - e.g., why not add an AWD with another 150lbs or so
There are around much better much lightet manual gearboxes
than the crappy heavy Porsche manual 7 speed pdk derived one
Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's simple....regardless of what AP says or does not say we must remember that planned car specs change, get cut, get added, throughout the year. Some of it is out of APs control. While he and his team do a great job and ultimately are putting together the best GT cars they can, there is a process that all production GT cars go through for approval (inc specs). Keep in mind that info that AP might of thought was going forward back several months ago could have been axed or changed by either board or his team. While product direction and model planning is many years in advance these GT cars (and final specs) aren't so ironed out so far ahead.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I wasn't there in both instances of Matt meeting AP, nor was I there for the reunion (obviously), but I'm basing my assessment
of what is being written:

Neither of you are wrong in my opinion. Just a lot of misunderstanding of statements I think. And my assessment is as follows.

When AP referred to "next time around" - Excellence magazine. I think he was referring to the Cayman GT4 (982 if there will be
one, or even possibly, just possibly, a 981.2) but taking the words 'next time around' just means not for the current 981.1 GT4

When Eduardo reported "[people thinking] there will be a PDK version of this car" when AP spoke at the reunion, I think AP was
referring to there WILL NOT be a PDK for the 981.1 GT4 (but possibly for the 981.2 or 982).

So I think that neither is wrong, just a lot of miss understanding.
Originally Posted by sccchiii
It's simple....regardless of what AP says or does not say we must remember that planned car specs change, get cut, get added,
throughout the year. Some of it is out of APs control. While he and his team do a great job and ultimately are putting together
the best GT cars they can, there is a process that all production GT cars go through for approval (inc specs). Keep in mind that
info that AP might of thought was going forward back several months ago could have been axed or changed by either board or
his team. While product direction and model planning is many years in advance these GT cars (and final specs) aren't so ironed
out so far ahead.
Good points and I believe it explains well the 'misunderstanding' between what was said to Matt in the late summer and what was
said to us on Sunday. And I have communicated those thoughts to Matt in a recent PM exchange where I praised his informative &
interesting reports re: his & Kendra's recent gt4 European Delivery experience which was truly appreciated by many of us!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Rennsport V Report...Let's start with the talk of Andreas Preuninger!