Sponsored by:

New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Can we keep the thread on topic to the PCCBs? There are already enough threads with RB marketing material
The SICOM refurbish relates to the pccb, not RB. In fact every time we try to bring this refurbishment opportunity up, RB tries to bury it with a page of copy, I understand they are a sponsor but it's so flagrantly abusive sometimes that I don't understand why the mods haven't caught on. Anyway, learning about how to extend the life of the pccb is key for me and others
Old 09-04-2016, 02:53 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm on the same page as you Alex. SICOM is relevant to the PCCB discussion, i'm also interested in it as well.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The SICOM refurbish relates to the pccb, not RB. In fact every time we try to bring this refurbishment opportunity up, RB tries to bury it with a page of copy, I understand they are a sponsor but it's so flagrantly abusive sometimes that I don't understand why the mods haven't caught on. Anyway, learning about how to extend the life of the pccb is key for me and others
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't track your car much at all, so I really don't think you have to worry about pccb life. You will be in the camp where pccb works well and have no problems with wear
Old 09-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You seem to be the first providing feedback from the SICOM refurbish, can you provide a few details on the experience?.. Did they say how many times they can be refurbished?.. $3k is less than replacement cost of steel rotors, would take out the pccb tracking fear for most of us.. Can't wait to hear feedback on this.
I believe that $3k refurb was for one pair only, IIRC. And a full set of 4 OEM iron rotors is more like $2500 shipped online.

And I wouldn't put any faith in a "refurb" until multiple folks run them through their full refurb life to see how far they go vs. stock.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 PM
LoloM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 trackdays and 700km (3 trackdays spa, Dijon and mangy cours in france) mine start to wear strongly. What do you conisider a lot of trackwork ?
pccb track users on 991 gt3 or rs when did you start to have significant on wear on your pccb ?

thanks
Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoloM
After 3 trackdays and 700km (3 trackdays spa, Dijon and mangy cours in france) mine start to wear strongly. What do you conisider a lot of trackwork ? pccb track users on 991 gt3 or rs when did you start to have significant on wear on your pccb ? thanks
I run an RS (991) and after 7 track days, tests show rotors down 40% on average but 60% in some locations. Since four of these days were in 40 deg F weather, I am appalled at the poor wear properties.

Of course, the pads are only down one or two mm each. Unbelievable. That's like $30k / year for light track duty.

I am thoroughly disappointed.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Alain & Lolo. Very disappointed to hear your experiences with PCCB in track.

Agree with Alex about vendor "interference" on these threads. Mention the words @brake pads" for example and you'll get a flood of vendors posting.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
I run an RS (991) and after 7 track days, tests show rotors down 40% on average but 60% in some locations. Since four of these days were in 40 deg F weather, I am appalled at the poor wear properties.

Of course, the pads are only down one or two mm each. Unbelievable. That's like $30k / year for light track duty.

Wow, that is a huge to difference to other guys who posted around 30 track days with same wear (please correct me if I am wrong).

Would be interested in hearing the SICOM experience as well.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Asco
Wow, that is a huge to difference to other guys who posted around 30 track days with same wear (please correct me if I am wrong).

Would be interested in hearing the SICOM experience as well.
Fellas, we need to understand that 30 track days for one guy is 3 days for another. Drivers and tracks are not equal. For whatever reason, this is something that people have a hard time comprehending. Any statement about consumable lifespan must be qualified with track and lap time. Otherwise, it really means nothing.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:56 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm very interested in hearing about OEM refurbishment as well.
Joe has a good point, but loosing that much in only 7 days seems excessive.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 AM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Fellas, we need to understand that 30 track days for one guy is 3 days for another. Drivers and tracks are not equal. For whatever reason, this is something that people have a hard time comprehending. Any statement about consumable lifespan must be qualified with track and lap time. Otherwise, it really means nothing.
Joe please understand me correctly and I am not questioning your knowledge on this topic as you have way more of it than myself. It just seems that gap between 3 and 30 days is to large for similar wear.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Asco
Joe please understand me correctly and I am not questioning your knowledge on this topic as you have way more of it than myself. It just seems that gap between 3 and 30 days is to large for similar wear.
My statements should always be questioned!

Keep in mind that the 3 days stated did NOT say that they were done in 3 days. They were 40%-60% done. While not apples to apples, the wear indicator on my 987 boxster spyder started to show at 5 days. They weren't done at 5 days, but it was enough to pull them off and switch to iron. I have to imagine that the new gen 3 pccb rotors are at least 2 times more durable, but even at four times the durability of gen2 pccb, it's too costly for me when you can get iron AP rotors that will last 30-40 track days for me.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:41 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Surface Transforms CCB Rotor Kit Track Wear Update

Guys,

I am an intermediate driver and have a ST kit on my 2016 car. I try to brake early and drive as smooth as possible within my skill set. I run Cup2s.

To date the rotors and RSC1 pads have 1442 track miles and 12 track days.

The track days were at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, and COTA.

The front rotors have no apparent visual wear. The rear rotors are showing slight grooving.

The pads are about half worn, with about 6 mm remaining. The pads wedge, and have been flipped once. I checked inner and outer pad wear.

I am going to change the pads soon as a precaution (heat transfer and resultant increase in rotor surface oxidation). The supplier, Autoquest, recommends running no less than 40 % total pad thickness.

ST supports refurbishment at about 2,000.00 US shipped to the UK. Refurbishment up to 5x . I am hoping to get 25 track days out of this set.

Last edited by unclejosh; 09-05-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM
LoloM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoloM
After 3 trackdays and 700km (3 trackdays spa, Dijon and mangy cours in france) mine start to wear strongly. What do you conisider a lot of trackwork ?
pccb track users on 991 gt3 or rs when did you start to have significant on wear on your pccb ?

thanks
There we are, now I have changed my pads to "save the disc". Did just 60km on a small track (ouest parisien), speed of 200km/h max, the pads are new but cooked and some very bad scratches appear everywhere even increasing while street driving.
brakes do a strong "hum" when I first apply strongly which did never happen to me before on pccb. Here are some pics of the discs. What is your opinion guys ? And has anyone already had it on their 991 ? Thx
´ .Scratch on top of picture

Scratch on top left

Global picture of disc that looks ok from far away.

Few pics of the car itself !

Old 10-23-2016, 08:48 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101

I have recently done this dance w PCNA and 2 dealers on my GT4. MY RS arrives this week and will no doubt have the same issues.

FIRST and most importantly the way the rotors are measured is critical. The new process uses a fancy machine that is like and ultrasound unit. Not sure what it measures . Not all dealers have it and fewer know how to use it , yet. Measuring on the car without further precaution yields potential very high wear readings because of the metal shield behind the rotor. Option 2 is to take the caliper off and measure where the caliper goes because there is no shield. Best option , to get a real measurement and base line ,is to take the rotor off and measure on a wooden bench.

My experience is Porsche is not throwing rotors at people so buyer beware. ( Most of us apparently don't know how to drive ). I received new pads on fronts from PCNA as they seemed to be breaking apart and grooving the rotors. You hear a very distinctive grinding sound when they get that way. After one Sebring trip and 2 Homestead trips I am hearing it again and will likely call Clark at Apex for the Girodisc option so I don't lose anymore sleep thinking about a 30 k brake job.

Cheers

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread