Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018 | 10:25 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Just to be clear and because I'm a bit lazy: When the PCCB's are measured on the car you get a different result then when measured off the car?
Correct. That is the case for the rear rotors, not sure about the fronts. Apparently, the rear parking brake is causing some interference with the Carboteq tool resulting in incorrect readings.
Old 02-06-2018 | 10:40 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if the reported increased wear rates in the rear is almost entirely related to these "on the car" misreadings?

I have no direct 991 PCCB data to support the following theory (other than thousands of track miles in lots of different cars). You could upset the PASM/TC on every corner driving "flat out," and I don't see how the wear could possibly come anywhere near the wear rates of the front rotors on the track. The ESC only kicks on briefly here and there. It just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same abuse as braking from 150mph to 80mph lap after lap.
Old 02-06-2018 | 10:45 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I wonder if the reported increased wear rates in the rear is almost entirely related to these "on the car" misreadings?
It sure looks like it.
Old 02-06-2018 | 11:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by robmypro
It sure looks like it.
This would be a comically bad situation if it is verified that porsche failed to train their techs on how to accurately measure pccb rotor wear. Would mean that people would have been making massively incorrect replacement decisions for years on new PCCB. Would also mean that Porsche has been making money on wrong replacement recommendations, as well as gaining negative reputation for their pccb and losing revenue to people not selecting that option or going aftermarket.

Any way you look at it, this would be a critically bad error if proven true.

I'm following this closely.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (11-19-2019)
Old 02-06-2018 | 02:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by NMM991

I had my rotors re-measured off the car -- not much difference on the front rotors, but a very significant difference on the rear rotors. Due to heat shields? Disappointing that Porsche was unable to advise that there is a problem measuring PCCB rear rotors on the car.
The interesting thing is that all the measurements are off, all in the same direction. Even the fronts are off in a somewhat meaningful amount.
Old 02-19-2018 | 12:56 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Update to the group regarding my PCCB on my RS. As background I did a total of 31 days and 3,000 miles on my 2014 GT3. The rotors were last measured above the wear limit before I sold the car last June.
Flash forward I have done a total of 23 days, just under 2,300 tack miles. Just before my last two days (ACS on Feb 10 and CVR on Feb 11) I had the rotors measured. See pic. As you can see my left front rotor has dropped below the wear limit on one of the three measurement locations. They are probably lower now after 160 more track miles. The rears are fine. Not sure why I got 10 less days than my GT3 PCCBs. Perhaps I'm faster now and harder on the brakes?
I'm at a decision point, replace the front rotors with OEM or swap to the ST rotor kit? Sounds like the front rotors alone will cost as much as swapping out all four rotors with the ST kit. Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2018 | 09:20 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, did you take the rotors off to be measured or were they measured on the car?
Old 02-19-2018 | 10:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Update to the group regarding my PCCB on my RS. As background I did a total of 31 days and 3,000 miles on my 2014 GT3. The rotors were last measured above the wear limit before I sold the car last June.
Flash forward I have done a total of 23 days, just under 2,300 tack miles. Just before my last two days (ACS on Feb 10 and CVR on Feb 11) I had the rotors measured. See pic. As you can see my left front rotor has dropped below the wear limit on one of the three measurement locations. They are probably lower now after 160 more track miles. The rears are fine. Not sure why I got 10 less days than my GT3 PCCBs. Perhaps I'm faster now and harder on the brakes?
I'm at a decision point, replace the front rotors with OEM or swap to the ST rotor kit? Sounds like the front rotors alone will cost as much as swapping out all four rotors with the ST kit. Thoughts?
Maybe more wear because the RS was driven a little faster

Besides that they are cheaper, they are also better build and keep their value better.
as soon as you sell your PCCB the wear numbers are confusing, they just became used.

What I like about the ST rotors, besides that they work awesome is the resale value.
They can be refurbished 5X, so even if you have refurbished them one or twice, the left over use is pretty clear for the buyer.

I would shelve these and swap it out for an ST set and keep the originals for resale of the car.
Old 02-19-2018 | 10:48 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Or think about the Essex AP Racing total replacement option.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-991-gt3.html

Bish
Old 02-19-2018 | 03:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
Or think about the Essex AP Racing total replacement option.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-991-gt3.html

Bish
But those are irons.
Old 02-19-2018 | 05:31 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But those are irons.
My point was that for a car that is tracked extensively it makes sense to remove the Porsche PCCBs to resell on with the car, and replace them with what is a far more cost effective solution that provides better performance and ease of maintenance.

It was just a suggestion.

Bish
Old 02-19-2018 | 05:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Bish, I was very much on the same page before because I didn’t understand the benefits.
now, I don’t think I can go back to steel..
Old 02-19-2018 | 06:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Maybe more wear because the RS was driven a little faster

Besides that they are cheaper, they are also better build and keep their value better.
as soon as you sell your PCCB the wear numbers are confusing, they just became used.

What I like about the ST rotors, besides that they work awesome is the resale value.
They can be refurbished 5X, so even if you have refurbished them one or twice, the left over use is pretty clear for the buyer.

I would shelve these and swap it out for an ST set and keep the originals for resale of the car.
How many user ST rotor transactions have you seen the appropriately assess resale value as a pro?
Old 02-19-2018 | 06:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33

How many user ST rotor transactions have you seen the appropriately assess resale value as a pro?
Pro?
Just seen a couple, most guys with new GT3’s and RS under the rent have them but they are only in use for a couple of years, but for each refurbish I think we can assume to depreciate them 20%?

Old 02-19-2018 | 06:35 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Pro?
Just seen a couple, most guys with new GT3’s and RS under the rent have them but they are only in use for a couple of years, but for each refurbish I think we can assume to depreciate them 20%?

I guess my issue is there is no data to back up the 5x refurbishment claim. I'd feel better once I see you go through 5 refurbishment cycles without braking issues as some real-world review data.

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread