Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:30 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Did another day at Thunderhill today on the 3 mile course using the cyclone. 1:58 consistently all day, best of 1:58.5. I just can't break into 1:57. Theoretical best is 1:57.1. I'm having a hard time with consistency at this pace. The counterclockwise direction of the track is really killing the outer edges of the tires on the passenger side, but the driver side looks ok (still more wear on the outside, but not as bad). I'll have to flip tires before my next track day on Monday. The MPSC2 are NOT directional, right? It's looking like these tires might only last me 5 track days...
Have you considered any more negative camber up front?
Old 02-14-2015, 12:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Have you considered any more negative camber up front?
Looks I'll need more in front and rear....
Old 02-14-2015, 12:57 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Following Montoya's lead, I went ahead and opened up the pass through for the passenger cushion today. It really is straight forward. The only tough part is sewing the velcro back on, as the velco barbs catch the thread and jumbles it up. I took some pictures will do a DIY here:

Take out the passenger cushion and flip it over. You'll see that the alcantara fabric has been sewn together and sewn to the velcro. This needs to be taken apart.

Release the thread that is holding the velcro and the alcantara fabric together

Pull out the thread and detach the velcro.

You have an opening from the bottom side.

Now flip the cushion over and spread apart the seam to see the threads

Now release the threads that are sealing the pass through from the top starting from the center. Once you release a few, they will start to unravel. You will know when to stop and have reached the edge when you reach thread that no longer unravels under tension.

The pass through is now fully open.

Now you want to sew one flap of the alacantara back to the cushion:

Now sew the velcro back on onto the other alcantara flap. This is the most tedious part of the project since the barbs snag the thread and make things a PITA:

Finished product:

Next up is cutting the hole in the shell. Now I need the Cantrell to cage to arrive and for someone to make some antisub bars!!!
Thanks for the DIY.

I have to say though, those pics look like something out of a Bovine Veterinary Obstetrics manual or a some stills from Ace Ventura ...

Old 02-14-2015, 01:03 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

The MPSC2 are NOT directional, right? It's looking like these tires might only last me 5 track days...
If you get 20 heat cycles out of the tires I would say you are doing pretty good- Most tires on the .2 GT3 lasted somewhere between 12 and 18 heat cycles. I had one set of 19" R6 on my Forgeline rims that lasted in the mid twenties, but that was not the norm. This was everything from slicks to R- comp tires. If you push it, which you are doing, tires give up faster.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Did another day at Thunderhill today on the 3 mile course using the cyclone. 1:58 consistently all day, best of 1:58.5. I just can't break into 1:57. Theoretical best is 1:57.1. I'm having a hard time with consistency at this pace. The counterclockwise direction of the track is really killing the outer edges of the tires on the passenger side, but the driver side looks ok (still more wear on the outside, but not as bad). I'll have to flip tires before my next track day on Monday. The MPSC2 are NOT directional, right? It's looking like these tires might only last me 5 track days...
How much time do you have on track per day? That's over $400 per day of tires alone, and you have your camber optimized for tire wear!!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
How much time do you have on track per day? That's over $400 per day of tires alone, and you have your camber optimized for tire wear!!!!
You must pay to play my friend.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Thanks for the DIY. I have to say though, those pics look like something out of a Bovine Veterinary Obstetrics manual or a some stills from Ace Ventura ...
LMAO! Now that you mention it...
Originally Posted by montoya
If you get 20 heat cycles out of the tires I would say you are doing pretty good- Most tires on the .2 GT3 lasted somewhere between 12 and 18 heat cycles. I had one set of 19" R6 on my Forgeline rims that lasted in the mid twenties, but that was not the norm. This was everything from slicks to R- comp tires. If you push it, which you are doing, tires give up faster.
The painful truth.
Originally Posted by Mech33
Don't do the math! Ignorance is bliss! So far I've logged 150, 140, and 110 miles in 3 track days, which comes out to 400 miles total. First track day we lost sessions because of fog, 2nd track day we lost sessions because of rain, 3rd track day I was by myself and ran 4 sessions. I think there are about 16 heat cycles on the tires so far. Camber isn't quite optimized yet. I need a touch more...
Originally Posted by montoya
You must pay to play my friend.
That you do...

Last edited by orthojoe; 02-14-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles did you put on the car before going to the track?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Looks I'll need more in front and rear....
joe, try -3 and -2.7 rear
1/16 toe OUT front
Old 02-14-2015, 10:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
How many miles did you put on the car before going to the track?
About 1000

Originally Posted by mooty
joe, try -3 and -2.7 rear 1/16 toe OUT front
Thanks!

Btw, at the end of the day I was chasing lap times during a 25 minute session and didn't notice the fuel levels. I started out with a 1/2 tank of gas (per the gauge) and ran out by the end of the session. Thankfully, the car put itself into limp mode when there was only about 1 gallon left so I didn't run out on track. I don't know if the limp mode was secondary to low fuel level or from fuel starvation because it happened exiting turn 8.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I took my 82 year old dad for a ride in the GT3 yesterday. He said the bucket seats were hard to get in and out of, but thought that they were very comfortable once he was in the seat. As he struggled to get out of the car, he said "very nice ride!". He's not a man of many emotions, so that was a big
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my 82 year old dad for a ride in the GT3 yesterday. He said the bucket seats were hard to get in and out of, but thought that they were very comfortable once he was in the seat. As he struggled to get out of the car, he said "very nice ride!". He's not a man of many emotions, so that was a big
Love this.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 02-15-2015, 01:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Have I told you guys how great centerlocks are yet?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:19 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Hahahaha!

Have I told you guys how great centerlocks are yet?

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal