Sponsored by:

Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Yes and No. For starters, you only have to worry about one bolt! That's nice.
No 5 bolts to torque in star pattern, etc.
But, having to have someone hold the steering wheel while torquing the fronts
can be a pain. I don't know how it could be a one person job for the fronts.
Guiding the wheel on with the centering tool is a piece of cake. I like that.
Dealing with the paste, not so much. It gets on the threads of the centering
tool and is messy. But all in all, not so bad.
Thanks Rob! Well done! I need to order my tools.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

rubbaman posted a pic with two breaker bars
one is with precision instrument
the other is from porsche dealer (telescoping)
i have 4 breaker bar (telescoping) from porsche dealer, the one suncoast sells too). it's nice that it telescopes. BUT you will bend it and will no long be telescoping. i am not that big and pretty weak in arm power. YMMV. that's an expensive bar too!
Old 12-12-2014, 12:56 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
rubbaman posted a pic with two breaker bars
one is with precision instrument
the other is from porsche dealer (telescoping)
i have 4 breaker bar (telescoping) from porsche dealer, the one suncoast sells too). it's nice that it telescopes. BUT you will bend it and will no long be telescoping. i am not that big and pretty weak in arm power. YMMV. that's an expensive bar too!
You can buy the entire PI torque kit and breaker bar for the cost of the porsche telescoping breaker. It's not going to bend either.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:21 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  ForumRunner_20141211_212021.png
Views: 1267
Size:  560.3 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20141211_211945.png
Views: 1208
Size:  553.6 KB
My buck trimmer breaker bar setup for under $40.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
You can buy the entire PI torque kit and breaker bar for the cost of the porsche telescoping breaker. It's not going to bend either.
u r absolutely right. but i am a slow learner. thought it was my brutal strength or lack of technique that killed the bar. so i had to buy 4 and bend all of them to learn it's not my Zeus strength.

Originally Posted by CALSE
Attachment 893869
Attachment 893867
My buck trimmer breaker bar setup for under $40.
even better.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:55 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Yes and No. For starters, you only have to worry about one bolt! That's nice.
No 5 bolts to torque in star pattern, etc.
But, having to have someone hold the steering wheel while torquing the fronts
can be a pain. I don't know how it could be a one person job for the fronts.
Guiding the wheel on with the centering tool is a piece of cake. I like that.
Dealing with the paste, not so much. It gets on the threads of the centering
tool and is messy. But all in all, not so bad.
I've never heard anyone else mention that. It seemed like otyers had no trouble doing it by themselves?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

^ Not needed to have someone hold the wheel unless you have both front wheels off the ground, then maybe if you aren't using a torque multiplier.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I've never heard anyone else mention that. It seemed like otyers had no trouble doing it by themselves?
Originally Posted by montoya
^ Not needed to have someone hold the wheel unless you have both front wheels off the ground, then maybe if you aren't using a torque multiplier.
I haven't done the wheels yet, but I have lifted the car. The 991 chassis is so stiff that if you lift at one front jacking point you'll take most if not all of the weight off of the other side as well. I suspect that's the issue.....
Old 12-12-2014, 02:41 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I haven't done the wheels yet, but I have lifted the car. The 991 chassis is so stiff that if you lift at one front jacking point even a little more than necessary to get the wheel off you'll take most if not all of the weight off of the other side as well. I suspect that's the issue.....
Never an issue on the .2 and come to think of it, I removed all four wheels with the car on the jack stands. I never thought of it, but the torque multiplier stabilizes the wheel against the ground (or wood block in my case) so this was a non issue. I've seen plenty of people lift .2 GT3 from one side and remove front wheels with a lever arm no problem. I don't think there would be any difference with the 991 GT3.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Never an issue on the .2 and come to think of it, I removed all four wheels with the car on the jack stands. I never thought of it, but the torque multiplier stabilizes the wheel against the ground (or wood block in my case) so this was a non issue. I've seen plenty of people lift .2 GT3 from one side and remove front wheels with a lever arm no problem. I don't think there would be any difference with the 991 GT3.
Sorry, not trying to be argumentative. Clearly, rubbaman had an actual issue with the wheels turning while torqueing the CL and it is mentioned specifically in the manual so there's that. I haven't tried it personally, just trying to think of an explanation for what happened to him.

Also, the body of the 991 is torsionally stiffer than the 997.2 body by about 25%, so that may be relevant when comparing jacking a 997.2 to a 991. Or not, just sayin'....
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

+1, never an issue in the .2, and I always had the car up off all 4 wheels on jackpoint jack stands. And using the PI TQ wrench.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative. Clearly, rubbaman had an actual issue with the wheels turning while torqueing the CL and it is mentioned specifically in the manual so there's that. I haven't tried it personally, just trying to think of an explanation for what happened to him.

Also, the body of the 991 is torsionally stiffer than the 997 body by about 25%, so that may be relevant when comparing jacking a 997.2 to a 991. Or not, just sayin'....
Yes, we will just have to try it. Could be that it will take lifting on both jack points on one side to keep the other side on the ground to make the torqueing a one man job with a lever arm. Another reason for a torque multiplier!

Originally Posted by Todd B
+1, never an issue in the .2, and I always had the car up off all 4 wheels on jackpoint jack stands. And using the PI TQ wrench.
Well again, I would say this is all about technique and practice.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Todd B

Yes, we will just have to try it. Could be that it will take lifting on both jack points on one side to keep the other side on the ground to make the torqueing a one man job with a lever arm. Another reason for a torque multiplier!

Well again, I would say this is all about technique and practice.
In my case, the torque multiplier train has left the station....

Ok, so while chassis stiffness might be a factor when lifting one front corner, it shouldn't be an issue with all 4 wheels off the ground.

It could be technique but also maybe the EM steering in the 991 offers less resistance to turning with the engine off than the hydraulic rack in the 997.2. Even more likely reason: the 997.2 GT3 has a steering wheel lock when the key is removed from the ignition. If the wheels are turned slightly, they lock up. The 991 GT3 doesn't have a steering lock. I can turn the wheel fully both directions with no key in the ignition.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:12 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CALSE
Haha! The only concern I had was whether the PI torque wrench was properly calibrated so I checked against another fellow Rennlister's torque wrench, and it was good. Track time!
Rob,

Great post!

David
Old 12-12-2014, 04:51 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't done the wheels yet, but I have lifted the car. The 991 chassis is so stiff that if you lift at one front jacking point you'll take most if not all of the weight off of the other side as well. I suspect that's the issue.....
^^^^This and....

Even when I lowered the fronts such that one wheel was in contact with the ground, with the high amount of torque being applied coupled with the extension bar arm offset, the wheels did tend to rotate........Son! Hold the steering wheel tight and press the brake for daddy.;-) Problem solved.

Last edited by CALSE; 12-12-2014 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments