UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great informative thread
Old 12-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

here's intervals for replacing the hub's & nuts. The 991's system is updated and the intervals are a bit longer.

Revision intervals for race track use - 911 GT3

At present, the following revision intervals are stipulated for race track use for the 911 GT3 (991):
At the latest, every 10,000 km/6,000 miles for race track use (cumulative)
Replace all central wheel lock bolts.

Replace wheel hubs and wheel bearings on rear axle.

At the latest, every 20,000 km/12,000 miles for race track use (cumulative)
Replace all central wheel lock bolts.

Replace wheel hubs and wheel bearings on front axle.

Replace wheel hubs and wheel bearings on rear axle.

The special design of the wheel bearing housing/wheel bearing means that the wheel bearing housing does not need to be replaced.

--------

This is the intervals Porsche has for the 997.2's, they are different.

Additional maintenance for race track use/Vehicles with central lock, model years 2009-2013

Additional maintenance every 4,200 miles (7,000 km) for race track use (cumulative)
Replace wheel hubs and wheel bearings on rear axle
Replace central lock bolts on rear axle

Additional maintenance every 8,400 miles (14,000 km) for race track use (cumulative)
Replace wheel bearing housing on rear axle
Replace wheel hubs and wheel bearings on front axle
Replace central lock bolts on front axle

Additional maintenance every 16,800 miles (28,000 km) for race track use (cumulative)
Replace wheel bearing housing on front axle
Old 12-10-2014, 05:29 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 181 Posts

What are the cost of the CL bolts, let alone , hubs and bearings?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by CALSE
I purchased the Precision Instruments combo kit, however, I also bought a cheap $20 20" long x 3/4" breaker bar from Harbor Freight and a $16 galvanized 1" diameter x 48" long pipe from Home Depot to serve as my breaker.
That'll work! Did you receive the combo pack already? Curious how small the breaker bar breaks down and if it fits nicely in the frunk.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
The nice thing about the expensive breaker bar at suncoast is it retracts from 42 inches to 18" which I would imagine will fit in the frunk. I can't find any retractable ones like that on the web. I may have to anti up the price of admission.
I found a retractable one that extends to 40", 3/4 ratchet , closes to 18. It was 100 bucks I think. EZ Red 40 inch ratchet. Good quality
Old 12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
What are the cost of the CL bolts, let alone , hubs and bearings?
Check with Suncoast that's where I get them from.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The Castrol Optimol Paste TA which is used to grease the CL parts is apparently now only available by special order from Germany. So says Suncoast who delayed delivery of my order until Jan 21 and my dealer who also says they would have to order it.

Fortunately I still have some of the original Porsche branded optimoly paste, but just thought I'd mention this so others can get an order in if they think they'll need it down the road.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-10-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

This is the bar I keep in the frunk if I'm going any distance from home. I've used it on my car and a friends and haven't had any problems with it. The ratcheting head is a bonus.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...r-for-cls.html
Old 12-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The Castrol Optimol Paste TA which is used to grease the CL parts is apparently now only available by special order from Germany. So says Suncoast who delayed delivery of my order until Jan 21 and my dealer who also says they would have to order it.

Fortunately I still have some of the original Porsche branded optimoly paste, but just thought I'd mention this so others can get an order in if they think they'll need it down the road.
BMW also uses the stuff, I'll need to see if I can find the info again for the bmw part number.

The tubes I bought from Suncoast in the past were not Porsche branded. Are they now? not that it really matters.

found it, here's the part number
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2014, 03:19 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

That's a bummer...I put an order in for some 2 days ago...
Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
BMW also uses the stuff, I'll need to see if I can find the info again for the bmw part number.

The tubes I bought from Suncoast in the past were not Porsche branded. Are they now? not that it really matters.

found it, here's the part number
Useful to have another source, thanks. I have a tube from years ago that has the Porsche brand, or at least a Porsche part #. My understanding is that even though the stuff is now Castrol branded, it's still supplied though Porsche when you order it from the dealers.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Vintage Optimoly
Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Useful to have another source, thanks. I have a tube from years ago that has the Porsche brand, or at least a Porsche part #. My understanding is that even though the stuff is now Castrol branded, it's still supplied though Porsche when you order it from the dealers.
cool, the tubes I ordered from Suncoast before looked like the bmw tube, with the Porsche parts sticker on it. Never got a tube looking like that, but then again that's why I figured it was out there.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I may have mentioned this before but you really don't need to regrease the CL everytime you remove the wheel which will save you lots of time and eliminate the potential mess. This tip came while observing my local Porsche dealer changing my wheels on 2 separate occasions. They only inspected the grease and indicated if found not dry or not dirty or not completely gone they would not apply any fresh grease and just reinstalled the wheels while keeping the original grease that was applied at factory and this has been the case for the past 3 wheels & tires changes in the past 10 months. I don't think we need to go overboard with the grease unless the situation merits a fresh grease application, thus saving you time and effort.

On a separate note and while looking at the precision centering tool, it appears to be a very simple tool. As some of you aware, I own a manufacturing company with full machine shop, so I was thinking about making my own tool which I am estimating will at be at least half of the cost of what is being advertised if not less. If some one is willing to lend me the tool for few days, I will take it to our machinist and have him make me a similar tool and can return it back to you in few days. In addition I will verify the cost to make such a tool and if indeed the cost savings are significant as I initially expected, we can run a batch of these for all GT3 Rennlist owners who are interested, and I will offer them at my cost, and pass the saving to you. Please let me know if any of you are interested in this offer. Again I am not interested in making these on regular basis or to make money, but rather a one time thing, just to help you guys out cut the cost down. Please let me know if there is an interest. Mark
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I agree...most street use...you don't have to be new grease happy...but if you are tracking your car, new grease may be In order much more frequently.

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments