Sponsored by:

Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:43 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
what I like about the Porsche wheel guide vs Rennline is that it apparently has a tool at the end to ensure the spring wheel lock fully engages with the outer splines. I'm sure a ratchet extender could do the same thing when using the rennline version.
Porsche includes a little tool for this now. It is kept inside the nut/cap tool for the CL.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 201 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Don't have my car yet. But that was the trick I used on my 997.2, also a bolt head the right size would also work. The 991 GT3, manual shows a included tool, that can be used to pop the caps off (before Porsche suggested a screwdriver with rag) and the other end of the tool has the hex head to pop the lock out. Do you have this tool? I would expect it's stored with the socket.
Yes I do have that combo tool, and it is stored in the recess of the CL socket. I've used it to remove the caps and also fiddle with the locking pin. There are obviously multiple ways to skin this particular cat.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
So, from reading this, no one came with a 5 lug conversion kit for 991 gt3 yet?
Too bad.
I don't think I will find myself ever converting since I have all the necessary tools. It really isn't all that big of a deal once you've done it a few times.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Not yet. Kind of a shame. I'm sure it would sell well. I was curious how much of the cup car suspension we'd have to install to get the proper motorsport center lock.
It is just a matter of time, i hope. It is a great car and with time people will find ways to address it all, i hope.

Cup car parts are always available but uprights, bearings, locks, it costs quite some $. Yet a lot of folks who care about their neck did this on 997 rs cars and here it is also doable. Costs a lot, of course, but doable.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:00 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

so to sum up, all I will need is the precision 3/4" torque wrench? I have ordered the car with iron rotors, so not critical to get the centering tool? Also, does the car come with the CL socket?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:07 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
so to sum up, all I will need is the precision 3/4" torque wrench? I have ordered the car with iron rotors, so not critical to get the centering tool? Also, does the car come with the CL socket?
My understanding is you just need the PI wrench and the special grease. I don't plan on buying the centering tool either since I'll have the iron rotors as well.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Even with 5 lug wheels and iron rotors I liked using the screw in assembly aids; it just made positioning the wheels easier. But the centering tool isn't essential with CI rotors, especially for $300+. Yes, the car does come with the CL socket.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Another question after watching paver's terrific video again.

I'm curious, paver, if you or others feel it's necessary every time to disassemble the central wheel bolt itself and re-grease the internal parts as is shown at about the 4:00 mark of the video. The Porsche spec says that "generally, there is no need to re-grease the inside of the bolt" except in cases where "very high or very low torque is required to loosen the bolt", "in the event of a jerking, fluctuating tightening torque", or "if you feel any stiffness or slip-stick effect when turning the cone ring for the wheel bolt by hand". Is it just being extra-safe to always do it?

For it's part, the owner's manual doesn't mention disassembly of the wheel bolt at all in the wheel changing procedure so I'm interested in people's thoughts on this.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
997 centerlock wheel procedure - YouTube

Another question after watching paver's terrific video again.

I'm curious, paver, if you or others feel it's necessary every time to disassemble the central wheel bolt itself and re-grease the internal parts as is shown at about the 4:00 mark of the video. The Porsche spec says that "generally, there is no need to re-grease the inside of the bolt" except in cases where "very high or very low torque is required to loosen the bolt", "in the event of a jerking, fluctuating tightening torque", or "if you feel any stiffness or slip-stick effect when turning the cone ring for the wheel bolt by hand". Is it just being extra-safe to always do it?

For it's part, the owner's manual doesn't mention disassembly of the wheel bolt at all in the wheel changing procedure so I'm interested in people's thoughts on this.
You must be chomping at the bit to dive into the CL's ? I just got my Rennline wheel guide today (Delrin) and the PI wrench kit will be in soon. Of course my car isn't here yet though...
Old 12-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

You must be chomping at the bit to dive into the CL's ? I just got my Rennline wheel guide today (Delrin) and the PI wrench kit will be in soon. Of course my car isn't here yet though...
Actually I am. I want to see what all the complaining is about!

Spreader for the brakes, centering tool, and grease are on their way; I have everything else. I don't need to remove the wheels to lube the front springs to eliminate the wooooing sound, but that's going to be my excuse to do it anyway. Oh, and have to wait until Xmas. Told my wife the tools could be part of my present.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,065 Likes on 549 Posts

As Mooty has pointed out keep a good supply of latex/vinyl gloves on hand. That paste is a PITA to get off your hands and near impossible to get out of clothes.

I wouldn't use my torque wrench to break loose the center lock nut. You can get a 42-48" breaker bar at a reasonable price point. Or get the MATCO extendable 3/4" ratchet. Easily fits in the trunk.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Actually I am. I want to see what all the complaining is about!

Spreader for the brakes, centering tool, and grease are on their way; I have everything else. I don't need to remove the wheels to lube the front springs to eliminate the wooooing sound, but that's going to be my excuse to do it anyway. Oh, and have to wait until Xmas. Told my wife the tools could be part of my present.
What size Irwin spreader is that in the video ? 24", 36" ?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Mike,a man with your abilities will have no problems with CL wheels. And I'm not joking or being ironic.
It can be done and it's easy. Compared to some repairs I've done CL wheels are a joke. Ok,that might sound cocky... I believe most people,myself included recognize their impracticality and the fact that they require certain steps and most importantly more tools,when there's a perfectly good alternative. But that's for another topic...

Grease : best to clean off the old one and use new. But that's just my opinion... For heavily tracked cars it's even more important. I think the grease manages heat and not using it will make almost impossible removing the CL nut while hot.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan C.
As Mooty has pointed out keep a good supply of latex/vinyl gloves on hand. That paste is a PITA to get off your hands and near impossible to get out of clothes.

I wouldn't use my torque wrench to break loose the center lock nut. You can get a 42-48" breaker bar at a reasonable price point. Or get the MATCO extendable 3/4" ratchet. Easily fits in the trunk.
Thanks for the tips, Alan.I'm actually very familiar with the optimoly paste. I've used it on lug bolt threads for years. It was recommended by Porsche for this purpose at least as far back as the owner's manual of my '84 Carrera.

I've got a suitable breaker bar too.

What size Irwin spreader is that in the video ? 24", 36" ?
24".

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,a man with your abilities will have no problems with CL wheels. And I'm not joking or being ironic.
It can be done and it's easy. Compared to some repairs I've done CL wheels are a joke. Ok,that might sound cocky... I believe most people,myself included recognize their impracticality and the fact that they require certain steps and most importantly more tools,when there's a perfectly good alternative. But that's for another topic...

Grease : best to clean off the old one and use new. But that's just my opinion... For heavily tracked cars it's even more important. I think the grease manages heat and not using it will make almost impossible removing the CL nut while hot.
Thanks Nick. At a certain point I tend to stop beating my head against the wall (it does takes a while) and then just start dealing with the situation at hand. I like tools, and enjoy learning new stuff, so I'm going to put a positive spin on this (no pun intended) and make the best of it.

I appreciate your thoughts about the grease. Will be interested in feedback from others as well. My car won't be heavily tracked, but I want to observe best practices.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input guys! I will be attempting my first Center Lock removal this weekend
as I hope my new Forgelines arrive by Friday with the Alpin tires.
Don't like driving on summers in the current cold temps here.
I have bought all the necessary tools and am anxious to try them out.
One question I have is, is it necessary for someone to hold the steering wheel while
loosening or tightening the center lock bolt as stated in the manual?

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments