Sponsored by:

Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:22 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
I feel the grease is the only issue. If you don’t get enough/right amount of grease the wheels tend to click. It’s not hurting anything but annoying.

otherwise I think a pretty slick system
I've had the clicking wheel from too much grease issue, and have heard it indeed can cause damage to the hub, not hard to believe if the wheel is actually loose! The theory is the excess grease flows away once the wheel is good and hot, resulting in too low of torque when hot. From this reasoning, the silver washer and the conical surface on the cone ring might be the prime culprits. Here's a video on the topic, I don't know anything about the mechanic who made it, but found it helpful, and reducing the grease on my centerlock mechanisms did indeed fix my problem.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:44 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,089 Likes on 2,868 Posts

In that video, it looked like the mechanic greases the wide flat washer, which is the one part that is not supposed to receive any grease.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Regarding the Precision Industries 3/4” torque wrench (4D600F).. seems to be on back-order in many places currently. I note the 1” drive version (i.e. 5D600F) is readily available and quite a bit cheaper. Are there any issues in simply using a 1” > 3/4” adapter? Sometimes extensions can lead to some twist in the system under extreme torque and that might be a concern here with 440 ft-lbs. On the other hand, having the handle spaced another 1-1.5” away from the car body might give more clearance against accidental contact between wrench handle and body?

Last edited by Skid; 05-17-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:04 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Yes, although he isn't greasing the surfaces it mates with, so it may be 6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other. My main disagreement is the trapezoidal threads, I believe it's important to have generous grease here. I tried light grease after having problems with too much, and measured removal forces of up to 840 ft-lbs! (i.e. call your heaviest friend to jump on the breaker bar!)
Old 05-17-2022, 06:13 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skid
Regarding the Precision Industries 3/4” torque wrench (4D600F).. seems to be on back-order in many places currently. I note the 1” drive version (i.e. 5D600F) is readily available and quite a bit cheaper. Are there any issues in simply using a 1” > 3/4” adapter? Sometimes extensions can lead to some twist in the system under extreme torque and that might be a concern here with 440 ft-lbs. On the other hand, having the handle spaced another 1-1.5” away from the car body might give more clearance against accidental contact between wrench handle and body?
When I add my digital torque gauge to the wrench it's obvious there needs to be something supporting the end so I use a floor jack. It adds about 3.5" and is definitely too much. Not sure about 1.5", but given that you may need to be really jumping on the bar to get things loose my advice would be to stick with the 3/4" drive and don't use an adapter.

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments