Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:37 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I've been to BMW M Performance Driving School and taken delivery at the Performance center of my two M3's. I also did a Chin Event at Sebring. Autocross doesn't interest me all that much. I think the next thing I'll do will be Skip Barber or Porsche Driving Experience. Right now, all I can think about it the amazing trip to the NC mountains next month!
I encourage your approach. Going to an autocross event will not help to get you acquainted and comfortable with car control and confident in your abilities. Autocross does offer an opportunity to take your car out at speed and if you run off course you just hit cones and not walls. BUT I would take the school and start at the beginning with no pressure of performance expectations. In fact the school will insist that you concentrate on your own personal development and comfort in the car and NOT on how fast you are going. I would also encourage a 3-day school instead of a 1-day. The longer school allows for you to better absorb the information and then apply it and practice. At the end of 3 days you will have a "resurrection" in the car world...
Old 04-22-2015, 02:48 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

which Skip Barber are we talking about? On the website I looked at the 3 day class and it said you need karting experience (3 day race)

Is there another 3 day?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
which Skip Barber are we talking about? On the website I looked at the 3 day class and it said you need karting experience (3 day race)

Is there another 3 day?
The Skip Barber website says: "Prerequisites: Driver must be 16 years old or have an approved karting background." If you are younger than 16 you need the carting background (under 18 need parental permission). Otherwise you are good to go

http://skipbarber.com/three-day-racing-school/

I took the Jim Russell 3-day beginning racing school and the 3-day advanced racing school, all at Laguna Seca when they were there. That program is now at Sears Point ( now called Sonoma Raceway).

https://www.jimrussell.com/en/schedules.cfm

Both schools will want you to have ability to drive with a manual transmission.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM
jlanka
Drifting

my reading skills need some work... Thanks for clearing that up for me Greg
Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Just called Skip Barber. There may be a problem with my size in the Formula car they use for the 3 day at Lime Rock. I'm going to go up next week and try to sit in one
Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Matt,
I thought I saw someone (perhaps you) commenting about water pooling somewhere under the front of the car after a wash. I picked up my GT3 from my detailer about a month ago and as I pulled away, water and suds started flying everywhere from under the front of the car. Over the hood, onto the windshield, onto traffic behind me. It was like the scene from Charlie and the Chocolate factory I kid you not...I was trying to find the nearest hole to crawl in. I could feel the looks. "Hey look at the rich a** h**e in his new Porsche. What a fool!" I have searched the forum and can't find it anywhere. I figured you would know of the issue. Where is it collecting and how do you get it dry before you pull the showering suds scene?
Mark
I use a Master Blaster. Most of the water accumulates on either side of the radiator. I have found that making repeated sweeping motions from right to left over the radiator opening mesh will get rid of the accumulated water. Actually you will see the water draining right over the front spoiler as it is forced out by the air. Once you think you are done repeat again as there always seems to be more water seeping out.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

You think they could have made a tiny drain hole for that...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
You think they could have made a tiny drain hole for that...
I think that in fact there is one as the water will drain below the radiator on to the spoiler. The thing is I believe water will get in between the radiator coils and you need a blast of air to force it to the bottom of the space where it will drain. Otherwise it will fly back on to the hood and windshield as the car gets up to speed.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Will try that next time. It does seem a rather strange place for water to collect. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I use a Master Blaster. Most of the water accumulates on either side of the radiator. I have found that making repeated sweeping motions from right to left over the radiator opening mesh will get rid of the accumulated water. Actually you will see the water draining right over the front spoiler as it is forced out by the air. Once you think you are done repeat again as there always seems to be more water seeping out.

Has any one ever used air from an air compressor? I have a long adaptor I made up for work that's made up with small 3/8" diameter copper tubing so I can bend it to go around bends if needed, then I just straighten it out. Always remains stiff. Works great.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:29 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by bronson7
Has any one ever used air from an air compressor? I have a long adaptor I made up for work that's made up with small 3/8" diameter copper tubing so I can bend it to go around bends if needed, then I just straighten it out. Always remains stiff. Works great.
Yes the sir compressor works great. I use it for all body seams, mirror housing, light surrounds, door handles, etc. - any where water can collect.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Yes the sir compressor works great. I use it for all body seams, mirror housing, light surrounds, door handles, etc. - any where water can collect.
I also use and air compressor to blow out the jams and other cracks when I have the garage door closed.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:36 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I've been to BMW M Performance Driving School and taken delivery at the Performance center of my two M3's. I also did a Chin Event at Sebring. Autocross doesn't interest me all that much. I think the next thing I'll do will be Skip Barber or Porsche Driving Experience. Right now, all I can think about it the amazing trip to the NC mountains next month!
Amen to that - we are all ready. Please please please let us have good weather! It's the only variable left. Every other detail, and I mean every detail, has been considered and taken care of!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Default FVD Brombacher Full Cat-Back Exhaust Part 1

Alright friends, I refused to believe that what we have available was the best we could get for the 991 GT3. I've been very vocal about my distaste for the valves and the hollow sound under 5,000 RPMs from a simple center bypass and the valves forced open.

I started out on a crusade to figure this out. I want a solution that:

- Doesn't have massive drone
- Doesn't lose power
- Can be controlled with the factory button.
- No fluff. Just make it functional and look decent.

I came to the conclusion that the third desire isn't going to happen without software. I'm not sure I want to throw my warranty in the trash, so I conceded the button.

Someone suggested in my crusade post that I reach out to FVD Brombacher.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...r-exhaust.html

I'd heard of them but didn't know the history. I picked up the phone and left a message at the South Florida US importer. About 15 minutes later, I got a call from Rhonda.

I explained what I was hoping to accomplish. Ditch the valves, improve the sound, don't add weight, and be mindful of drone were all requests. Rhonda then explained to me that what I was hoping to get could easily be done. She told me about who their manufacturer was, M&M, and that they are responsible for building the exhausts for Porsche Motorsport's Cup Cars. I had heard enough and gave her a deposit on the spot. Rhonda was going to call M&M in Germany and explain what I was hoping to get and see what they suggested.

M&M came back with a plan. Replacement side mufflers would connect directly to either an aftermarket center bypass or the factory third muffler. We would delete the valves to save weight and rid ourselves of the annoying opening and closing. They would make caps for the extra inlet to the center section that would no longer be needed without the valves. I thought this was a very sound solution.

Well, I woke up in the middle of the night a few days later thinking I still didn't make my points clear enough about not losing power or having tons of drone. Rhonda reassured me that she understood exactly what I was looking to have. I also asked her if I could pay extra to have a solution to ditch my current center section and just have a straight pipe from the mufflers to the tips. I was willing to invest the extra money to know that I had a complete and finished looking solution. She thought that would be very doable and confirmed it with M&M.

She set my expectations that Motorsports always comes first but thought it would take about three-four weeks for them to fabricate and produce. Last week I got the confirmation that they had completed my exhaust and it would be in the US soon. I was still a little nervous about getting what I wanted.

Today, (Tuesday as promised) I got the email from Rhonda! I was on the phone with a client of mine when I saw it in my inbox. I had to close it as to not get distracted. When I finished my call, I immediately started rifling through the text. There were links to the FVD site and photos of my new exhaust on a scale showing the weights.

Seconds after clicking the links below, I was literally jumping up and down in my office because she had them build exactly what I was hoping for!

Sport Side Mufflers $1,897.13

Center Muffler Bypass $1,484.67

Options

When discussing this with Rhonda I suggested they make it somewhat modular for those that have already invested in a center section.

1.) "Matt Moreman" version: This would be a complete cat-back that includes replacement Side Mufflers and a new Center Bypass that is designed to work specifically with the FVD Sport Side Mufflers and factory or aftermarket tips. This is what I got.

2.) Sport Side Mufflers only: They can be used with a GMG, Sharkwerks, FVD, etc. center muffler bypass OR the factory third muffler. Just specificy when ordering that you intend to use with existing third muffler and they will include caps for the no longer necessary secondary inlet.

Now, I won't have this until tomorrow, but I'm too excited not to share what information I have right now. I'll have photos, videos, impressions to post up this weekend.

I just hope it sounds like I think it's going to sound. Rhonda is working to get a few in stock. She relayed to me that lead time for them to produce is about three weeks. BE SURE TO ASK FOR THE RENNLIST 10% DISCOUNT. You can thank me later.

Matt
Old 04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Default FVD Brombacher Full Cat-Back Exhaust Part 2

So I have some bad news for us all. This isn't the solution I was hoping it would be. As I really think this through now, it makes sense. The factory side mufflers with the valves open offer an almost direct path to the SW bypass then exit. The FVD side mufflers are passing the exhaust gases completely through them. So the result is an improved exhaust note, but it's not nearly as nasty as I want it to be. It is not significant, but noticeably quieter than just the simple bypass.

I still have an appointment at Titan to dyno test on Friday. The car does sound better. It isn't as hollow. I'm thinking this will still be a solid solution for those that want to clean up the valves opening and closing and prefer a more refined sound.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I think all of you that are suggesting a side muffler/valve delete with a center muffler is the better solution for weight and sound. I don't want ghetto loud, but I like an aggressive note. I thought about adding FVD headers with high-flow cats. I don't think that's going to do much.

Here is my crappy install video. I still need to get out and make a video. I'll stop by my exhaust making spot on my way home from Titan.

I had a small ding from shipping. I easily fixed it with a pair of channel locks.

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal