Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015 | 02:51 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by warp10
Matt,

I am glad you gave the CSR exhaust a try. We helped Chris Smith develope the exhaust and the half cage on our Sapphire Blue GT3! I think the build quality, sound, and look ( though single "butt hole" not for everyone) is spot on.]
Thanks for developing it with Chris. I really do prefer the sound of the CSR. I'm trying to get used to the single exit.
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:53 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Thanks Money,

Wish you also had comparison of GMG???
I'm sure that's where I end up.
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:54 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loveivs
Matt,

The back-2-back exhaust comparison is awesome. It must take you quite a while to finish the shooting. Based on the video, I can't judge which bypass is better. Perhaps I will admit they are both good.

after testing of center bypass and side bypass. When can we read your review of testing of header and sport cat? lol
I don't think I'm going to do headers. I'm probably just going to buy the GMG and leave it alone.
Old 07-10-2015 | 12:02 AM
loveivs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Money2536
I don't think I'm going to do headers. I'm probably just going to buy the GMG and leave it alone.
May I ask why? The header and sport cat will produce more HP. Also help to increase the exhaust sound level. I was worried about the check engine light warning. But Ryan @ GMG confirm it won't happen.

Also I recall you said the side bypass pipe & factory backbox combo is the way to go. What make you put factory side muffler back and to re-use the aftermarket centre bypass. (Just curious, I believe there was a reason before you make any moves. lol)
Old 07-10-2015 | 08:59 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

May I ask why? The header and sport cat will produce more HP. Also help to increase the exhaust sound level. I was worried about the check engine light warning. But Ryan @ GMG confirm it won't happen.

Also I recall you said the side bypass pipe & factory backbox combo is the way to go. What make you put factory side muffler back and to re-use the aftermarket centre bypass. (Just curious, I believe there was a reason before you make any moves. lol)
I've heard the GMG header/GMG bypass with the stock side mufflers, and I wasn't too excited about the sound.

I loved the way the side muffler delete with the factory center muffler sounded. It was just too much for my street driven car. Driving around town was just above my threshold of bearable.
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:34 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Matt,
Sorry if I missed this, but what video/mic setup are you using for the onboard videos when you demonstrated the interior sound of the exhausts? Audio is really clean.
Old 07-14-2015 | 04:44 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
Matt,
Sorry if I missed this, but what video/mic setup are you using for the onboard videos when you demonstrated the interior sound of the exhausts? Audio is really clean.
The cameras are junk, Sony Action Cam, but the mic is Rode Stereo Video Mic.
Old 07-19-2015 | 12:58 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Default GMG Exhaust

I'm going to be honest. I've reached my limit. I'm actually a little embarrassed to make this post, but I think it may be helpful to some. I knew I was willing to put in some time, a little money, and some extra effort in documenting this crusade, but it has obviously gone much further than I anticipated.

But...here we are. I've lost count on what iteration this is and it's a little premature to declare victory, but I think I've found what I am looking to accomplish.

The worst part about this whole crusade is that I knew what needed to be done from the very beginning. I had fully intended to buy the GMG from the beginning, but SW ran a group buy shortly after I got the car. I was still recovering from the sticker shock of losing a bunch of cash on my C2S, and thought it prudent to save the $900 over buying the GMG option.

I guess I could look at this way:

1.) I wouldn't be as appreciative of it had I not gone through this exercise.

2.) The other positive is that I intend, God willing, to be a GT3 owner for the rest of my life, so I now have a much better understanding of the vehicle.

In reality, I just wasted a bunch of time and money, but I sure had fun doing it!

So here is what happened. I was at the crossroads again after the side muffler delete didn't work for me. I put my tail between my legs, put my SW bypass and side mufflers back on the car, and decided I would just enjoy the car. "STOP OBSESSING!"

That of course lasted about a week. I sent a text to my buddy that had two GMG sections laying in his house that needed to be sent back to Cali after the Smokies event. That got my wheels turning again. He threw out the CSR option. I got on the phone with Chris Smith Racing and after 5 minutes on the phone, I was back in the trial and error game.

I knew the single exit (I refer to it as the "single butthole") would be a difficult thing for me to overcome. If I were a real car guy and was all about performance/sound, I wouldn't care. But those that know me probably knew and were screaming at the computer screen that there was no way I'd be able to handle it.

The CSR really does sound great and doesn't look all that bad, but I put the SW back on after about a week and a half. The difference in sound wasn't enough to justify the off-putting look of the butthole. I talked to Chris about making a dual exit version to satisfy the masses. He is looking into it.

I decided I was done. Well Wednesday afternoon I made the mistake of giving Ryan, from GMG a call just to "pick his brain." I bought my GMG cage from him, and respect his opinion. He's a real car guy and is a fellow S2K enthusiast. We all know how that would turn out. I'm ponying up another couple of grand, sigh...

I got one. I just put it on today, so I don't have a very strong opinion yet. But I'm fairly certain, it's the one. Let's see if I can resist the temptation for headers. I'll have more info and footage as I get more time with it.

I also solved my license plate conundrum. Ryan threw one in the box for me. Something about the plain black frame wasn't working for me. I've never been a fan of branded plate frames, but something about this one appeals to me.

Old 07-19-2015 | 01:13 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Default M4

Money loving the M4 like your reviews picked up a conv today.

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-16-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2015 | 09:20 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Money loving the M4 like your reviews picked up a conv today.
Sick! Now all you need is AWE exhaust, Tune, springs, spacers, etc.
Old 07-19-2015 | 11:05 AM
Sloopy
Pro

The GMG just looks so right.

Sounds great. How would you compare it to the others and how is it at 70 mph cruise?

Thanks for all your hard work on this.............

Last edited by Sloopy; 07-19-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2015 | 01:00 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloopy
The GMG just looks so right.

Sounds great. How would you compare it to the others and how is it at 70 mph cruise?

Thanks for all your hard work on this.............
Remember I have the valves disconnected, so my comparison is a little different. The GMG has noticeably more drone than the SW at cruising speed, but neither one is bothersome to me. I'm certain with the valve connected there would be no drone with either.
Old 07-20-2015 | 05:49 AM
loveivs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Money2536
I've heard the GMG header/GMG bypass with the stock side mufflers, and I wasn't too excited about the sound.

I loved the way the side muffler delete with the factory center muffler sounded. It was just too much for my street driven car. Driving around town was just above my threshold of bearable.
I had 20mins run with the car which has GMG header + side muffler delete + sharky bypass. I have to say this setup is bit too hardcore for me. In addition to the massive drone while cruising at 2500-3000rpm. It was too loud. Louder than what I expected to be. Now the car is at the car shop again, I am putting factory side muffler back. Now I see why you said you were not interest about sound. The loudness has turned "music" into noise. On the other side, I feel loss of power. The feeling was very direct. Accelerate from still is slower than before. I believe it's caused by lack of back pressure.

BTW, your new video of GMG bypass with vacuum pipe disconnection turns out pretty awesome. I like it. I'm not say Sharky is bad. But I really like that sound indeed.

Last edited by loveivs; 07-20-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2015 | 09:12 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Default My First Garage

I was searching through old photos/videos looking for stuff for the Garage page on my site. I found a clip I made of my first garage. Man...I want the E92 back.

Old 08-09-2015 | 11:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

I had 20mins run with the car which has GMG header + side muffler delete + sharky bypass. I have to say this setup is bit too hardcore for me. In addition to the massive drone while cruising at 2500-3000rpm. It was too loud. Louder than what I expected to be. Now the car is at the car shop again, I am putting factory side muffler back. Now I see why you said you were not interest about sound. The loudness has turned "music" into noise. On the other side, I feel loss of power. The feeling was very direct. Accelerate from still is slower than before. I believe it's caused by lack of back pressure.

BTW, your new video of GMG bypass with vacuum pipe disconnection turns out pretty awesome. I like it. I'm not say Sharky is bad. But I really like that sound indeed.
header+side muffler delete+sharky is basically straight pipes. your only sound suppression are cats. can't imagine anyone running this anywhere but the track and even our cups use a center muffler. you need to run a center muffler with side delete option.

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal