Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:01 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I have the same problem with no solution. It takes like a day or so to dry.
It would be interesting to know what is happening with that water, what it is clinging to, what options there might be for drainage etc. I guess evaporation is the only egress available.

Or maybe a solution might be to run the window up and down a bunch of times drying it each time. After a while the water might be minimal.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm working on the video/write-up right now.
Cool! So we'll see it at the Smokies event?

Looking forward to meeting you. Have a safe trip up! Weather looking better and better.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Money, do you want to come out to PBIR tonight? Members evening, I can get you on track for about 45 minutes before any race cars. Would be fun experience and I can hear your exhaust in person.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

+1 ^^ I'll come out to hear it :-)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
It would be interesting to know what is happening with that water, what it is clinging to, what options there might be for drainage etc. I guess evaporation is the only egress available.

Or maybe a solution might be to run the window up and down a bunch of times drying it each time. After a while the water might be minimal.
It just soaks the felt like strips along the opening of the window slot...I use my shop vac with a smaller crevice type attachment after washing and vac along the bottom window edge and it pretty much eliminates this...plus an hour in the Phoenix sun will dry anything!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott997
Money, do you want to come out to PBIR tonight? Members evening, I can get you on track for about 45 minutes before any race cars. Would be fun experience and I can hear your exhaust in person.
Oh man, that would be pretty awesome, but we are all packed up to head out to the Smokies early in the morning.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Cool! So we'll see it at the Smokies event?

Looking forward to meeting you. Have a safe trip up! Weather looking better and better.
I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. I can't wait! See you there.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Swoody
It just soaks the felt like strips along the opening of the window slot...I use my shop vac with a smaller crevice type attachment after washing and vac along the bottom window edge and it pretty much eliminates this...plus an hour in the Phoenix sun will dry anything!!!
excellent! I'll try this next time.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Default FVD Exhaust Crusade is Finally Finished

Well, the bad news is that I wasted a bunch of money. The good news is that I had a blast taking on this project. I still need to hit the dyno to check the results, but I've finally come to a conclusion on what the right exhaust combo is for me.

Just for kicks, let's go back to the beginning and talk through the steps.

Exhaust Version 1:

I had the stock exhaust on the car for the first 1,000 miles or so. The car really does sound great above 5,000 RPMs, but I hated the valve operation. All of this opening and closing business was driving me crazy.

Exhaust Version 2:
I decided to test disconnecting the valves on a completely stock exhaust. I did it, drove around the block, and hated how it sounded. It droned and was very boomy and immediately reverted it back to normal.

Exhaust Version 3:

Now it was time to pick up a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass. This involves leaving the stock side mufflers alone and deleting the factory center muffler. Install was pretty easy:

Leave the bumper cover on the car
Loosen the brackets and clamps holding the center muffler in place
Loosen the side muffler brackets
Remove the center muffler
Put the SW Bypass in place
Tighten

Now after going on this crusade, I understand why this is something that SW is sticking with. It's really hard to do any better.

Initially, I had assumed I would hate the drone I would get with the valves disconnected just like I did with the full stock exhaust, so I left them connected for a while. I also got SW RS style tips in black.

Exhaust Version 4:

I woke up one morning a month or so after installing the SW bypass wondering what it would sound like with the valves disconnected, so I did it. Well there really wasn't any drone like with the full stock and the valves forced open. This was a sound solution. I kept hearing all of this chatter about the car losing power with the valves disconnected and that Porsche made the perfect car as is. I refused to believe this, so I laid out my 200 bucks and headed to the dyno to test it. I did this rather than just forming an opinion based on a guess or what happened to past generations of the car under similar conditions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...st-valves.html

Many still don't believe that the car is not losing power, but I'm convinced. I guess you could argue that there may be a change in delivery below 2,500 RPMs, but I'm not sure how you'd measure that. Every dyno I've ever been on requires running the car in a 1:1 gear. So you can't start at zero. You must start from a roll.

I guess one could argue that the dyno is not testing "real world power." At the 1/2 mile event attended, there was another Rennlist member there with his GT3. It was Sapphire Blue too, so couldn't argue that one color was faster than the other. After a half dozen passes of so each. We trapped within a few tenths of a mph. He LWB seats, but I had CCBs. I figure those would probably offset. This wasn't on of the best traps for either of us.

Exhaust Version 5

I decided that I'm still not satisfied with how the car sounds. It sounds great at high RPMs but is a little hollow driving to get the groceries. So I started making some calls. GMG, AWE, Cargraphic, and finally FVD. Now I didn't know squat about FVD other than some guys putting their stuff on a C2S. I got Rhonda from FVD on the phone. She proceeded to explain to me their connection with M&M in Germany and that they manufacture the exhausts for the Porsche Motorsports cars. They could make anything we want. Here is my first trial run.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...k-exhaust.html

FVD Side Mufflers, Valve Delete, Center Muffler Bypass

At this point, I still was not sure how the stock exhaust entire system worked. This version sounded great but was quieter than full stock system.

I get it now. The stock system with the center bypass offers some baffling as some of the sound/gases are traveling into the side muffler, but most of the gas is exiting straight through the center bypass. With this FVD system the gas must travel through the side mufflers. So we deleted the valves but ensured that there is no straight path. This system made it about a week before I called Rhonda and told her I got it all wrong.

Exhaust Version 6:

FVD was super nice to take back the system to build another one. So we settled on:

FVD Side Muffler Bypass and Valve delete with FVD Center Muffler

Rhonda had it over-nighted from Germany, so we could get it here in time before the Smokies trip. I installed it on Monday, I got in the car drove around the block and knew this was just as tame but added a tiny bit of drone. The advantage over the side muffler option is the weight reduction, but it sound rather similar. Great tone and quality of sound but not nasty enough for me. I think this would be a solid option for tracks that have dB restrictions.

So this was a no go for me.

Exhaust Version 7

To my surprise that was a little bonus in the box. I'm pretty sure M&M knew that I wouldn't like Version 6.

Side Muffler Bypass Pipes for OEM Center Muffler were in the box.

I was thinking I would just put the SW bypass and OEM side mufflers back on for the trip to the Smokies, but now that I'm super efficient at taking the rear bumper cover off the car, I decided to throw the side muffler bypass pipes on to see what happens.

After pulling off the FVD center muffler and comparing to the factory one, you could see the factory muffler offers a straight shot toward the exit. The FVD has baffling and an indirect shot. This changes the note and improves the tone but takes away the nasty I'm hoping for.

Fast forward to the end of the above video to hear the insanity. So you guys that have done the BBi solution from the start were right. It figures that the simplest, cheapest option would be my last try.

Conclusion:

The exercise was well worth the effort and actually a whole lot of fun for me. For some it may seem like work, but for me it's pure enjoyment. I'm actually not disappointed it took me this long when I could have just purchased the BBi solution and been done with it.

Keep in mind for those that are sensitive to drone, Version 7 is probably not for you. It's not terrible, but it's there. I think one of the other FVD options would be nice. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Thanks for putting up with me on the exercise. I'll head to the dyno with fingers crossed that I don't lose a bunch of power.

P.S. I'm not sure of the retail pricing on the FVD side muffler pipes, but I think it's in the less than $300 range. Give Rhonda a call.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!!

Thank you for doing all this work!

Can you remember what RPM range the drone was at?

Is it easier to hear the car around town and do you get the 'burbles' on decel or downshift?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The exercise was well worth the effort and actually a whole lot of fun for me. For some it may seem like work, but for me it's pure enjoyment. I'm actually not disappointed it took me this long when I could have just purchased the BBi solution and been done with it.

Keep in mind for those that are sensitive to drone, Version 7 is probably not for you. It's not terrible, but it's there. I think one of the other FVD options would be nice. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Thanks for putting up with me on the exercise. I'll head to the dyno with fingers crossed that I don't lose a bunch of power.

P.S. I'm not sure of the retail pricing on the FVD side muffler pipes, but I think it's in the less than $300 range. Give Rhonda a call.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Thank you Mat for going through all of this. I will be interested in your report after the Smokies and how you tolerated in-cabin sound both around town and on the open road at speed for hours on end.

Also what did you do with the stock vacuum bypass lines??:

Last edited by GregJGT3; 05-13-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:23 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Default Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Ugh.. Let's try not to quote the entire post..
Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

I'm ready to hit the road for the Smokies GT3 trip. My car is ready for everything, but this means we can't fit a change of clothes. Sorry to everyone for the smell. We'll just hose down with some detail spray. I have plenty of that.

I'm head straight to a quarter car wash near the hotel prior to going to the BBQ to remove the tape and bugs. I taped the car for the I75 drive. Normally we would take 129 up, but I figured it's smarter to minimize the boring driving time to be fresh for the mountains.

I got a couple of Sony Action Cams and rollbar mounts to capture some in-car stuff.

Make sure to hit me up for an Adam's detail spray sample. I have about ten of them and a few bottles of rinseless wash.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Shrevehorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. Let me understand this- you taped the front end and other areas to prevent chips and bugs into the paint. I'm amazed, but maybe because I have never seen or hear of such.
( got to admit on a trip to New Orleans got literally a full coating/layer of love bugs on the front end of a S63, and it was hurting my feeling bout the paint)
Old 05-16-2015, 07:12 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one meticulous tape job, looks better than any I've ever seen

Florida lovebug season sucks. Not so bad in the southeast but if it's that time of year I use a $10 bug screen when I travel to Sebring. A little ghetto perhaps? My main worry is dead bugs accumulating in the radiators at a time that I want my car to be breathing real nice. Lots of bug juice to clean off but it helps keep a good percentage of the bug wings and bug bodies on the screen and out of the important bits. Toss it when I get there and run a new one home

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal