Sponsored by:

I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts
Default I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust

I know many of us think the car's exhaust note with or without the simple bypass is perfect. I've been pretty vocal about this, but I'm not one of them.

Currently, I have the Sharkwerks bypass with the valves forced open. I don't hate the way the car sounds, but I believe that the sound the 991 GT3 makes with some simple R&D can still be significantly improved. Shoot, we have one of the greatest man made engines on the planet, we need a better exhaust!

Here is the problem: say we end up with 1,500 991 GT3s and another 600 991 GT3RSs in the US. The volume of cars produced is making it difficult for a manufacturer to committ to the R&D it would take to make a FULL exhaust.

Here is what I want:

A FULL rear section exhaust (not just a center muffler bypass) that includes the deletion of the super heavy side mufflers, replaced by a leaner muffler or resonator.

A drone-less system that is valved that works with the PSE button. PSE Button ON - Valves open at all RPMs. PSE OFF - It can do whatever the car wants. I don't care because my button will never be off, but I'm guessing many would prefer it to work like stock. I would acutally prefer not to have valves at all, but I'm guessing more exhausts will get sold if it is valved.

Now we don't always get what we want, so I'm flexible as long as we improve the sound. I've begged several manufacturers to address this, but they are all concerned that not enough would sell.

The reason for the post today is that I spoke with Ryan at GMG. Now, I know these guys have a bit of a rough reputation with some of you, but I've had a long, candid conversation with him after ordering my roll bar. I got the whole story. Ryan is legit. He's a dual Mechanical and Electrical Engineer that is hardcore about cars like us. He and the head fabricator have been begging the higher ups to allow them to make a FULL rear exaust for the 991 GT3/RS. He believes that if something is done about the side mufflers, then their equal length header would actually do something. Personally, I'd be all about their header if it were in combiation with a useful exhaust.

I told him that I could sell a bunch of them if they made something like I explained above. Am I the only crazy one that is not satisfyed with a bypass? I'm ready to start begging, so long as I'm not the only one. If I'm not, please post your thoughts so I can start this crusade.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-17-2015, 04:26 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Matt it sounds interesting and I would certainly be interested (too many interests there?)

Jeff
Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting, indeed. One note is that for those of us near tracks with dB limits, the car is already pretty loud. It would be great if one of the options is to have the stealth mode be quiet without affecting performance.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Interesting, indeed. One note is that for those of us near tracks with dB limits, the car is already pretty loud. It would be great if one of the options is to have the stealth mode be quiet without affecting performance.
That's a great point!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:45 PM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like Cargraghic has what you are looking for. Deleted side mufflers with a high flow center and operational PSE.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:47 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Akrapovic has had the wireless stealth mode button in the past too - I'm not sure if they're offering it on the 991.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Waiting for Supersprint.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely very interested, but for me it depends on cost. Akrapovic will already be offering a full system, and I would not pay near Akrapovic prices for a GMG system.

I'm like you and don't need the valves. Something else that can go wrong and its a weekend fun-car for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Originally Posted by Money2536
That's a great point!
Mayor beat me to it, but I agree. My regular PCA AX site limit is 92dB and I'm certain the stock exhaust is stretching it already. Even with the sport exhaust button off, the flapper valves will open automatically on demand. If you restrict them completely, performance could be affected.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SunnySD
Looks like Cargraghic has what you are looking for. Deleted side mufflers with a high flow center and operational PSE.
How did I miss this?

Maybe what I'm looking for already exists. I wonder why no one has this.

http://www.cargraphicts.com/en/produ...odels/991-gt3/
Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 PM
mdkim
Racer

The only issue I have is the possibility of torque loss when replacing the side mufflers and/or headers and cats.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 PM
Superman32
Racer

I want Europipe so bad. http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/64497...st-review.html
Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Definitely very interested, but for me it depends on cost. Akrapovic will already be offering a full system, and I would not pay near Akrapovic prices for a GMG system.

I'm like you and don't need the valves. Something else that can go wrong and its a weekend fun-car for me.
^^^ Agreed.

Matt, I'd be in if it was a simple full exhaust/resonator. I too don't need the valves. Cost will be a factor for me too. This is just a toy for me...

Best/Cheers,

B
Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,459 Likes on 762 Posts

I have done full sport exhaust on my Turbo ect and I get it. But, for me, the SW Bypass on the GT3 is just about right. It is loud when I need/want it to be and it came with a minimal expense. I also want to be careful screwing around too much with this engine because I think they got this car pretty wound up already
Old 03-17-2015, 06:34 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Matt,
I feel your pain, but my neighborhood would sue me with that awesome sound.
Maybe I should bite the bullet, put the RSR straight pipes on and move.

Quick Reply: I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust