Sponsored by:

PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,you might be thinking I have some sort of agenda to bash the cars. You're wrong. This has nothing to do with the car itself. I agree they're no different than the rest of them. The discussion is about branded titles and how much one's willing to pay.
Nick, I'm not thinking that you have an agenda at all, or that this is about the car itself. But it did seem that you were suggesting it would be senseless for someone to pay more for, in your words, a "used branded title GT3".

What I'm suggesting is that a buyer who knows the car's history might conclude that the car isn't really "used" at all in the usual sense, with a brand new engine and extended warranty. The title may not even be branded. And they might much rather deal with someone locally who will also be able to support them with any future issues. So, strictly within the context of the discussion about titles and pricing now, it might actually make "sense" to that buyer to pay more to get a car that he might not otherwise be able to buy.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is some regard my previous comments as conspiracy theories,I regard them as business decisions.
Oh yes, your are obviously referring to me. I am sorry that I'm simply trying to inform everyone that somehow some feel like Porsche is secretly paying dealers to buy the cars at a auction that they really did not need to do? Others will lay wake at night trying to figure out how a car that less than 800 worldwide were sold before a stop sale for the most part shut down the production and certainly slowed net production and has as a result created huge demand that dealers want to take a chance on. Porsche needed to do nothing at all at auction other than disclose what they did? What they sold for is what they sold for period and who cares if no one here will but one for whatever price they ask....THEY WILL SELL to someone. Porsche's favor to dealers was offering them in a dealer only environment! That way they didn't have to compete directly with exporters and used car guys at the auction that might have driven a HIGH DEMAND car up higher. Again sometimes what it appears like is truly what it is and for some reason we want to see something different? Btw....the craziest notion is that Porsche paid dealers thousands of dollars to buy these cars in auction environment for close to MSRP so that they could then feel better about resale value of car????? And write even more off than this fiasco originally cost them...come on everyone we have to have more sense than some of what's been speculated here?
Old 09-24-2014, 05:46 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I do agree that we work ourselves into knots trying to come up with complex explanations (I didn't say conspiracies) to relatively simple issues. I don't have the answers, but it's entertaining to see some of the more complex schemes being thought up.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Ha ha a new theory has emerged....The dealers that bought them are going to store them until January for Barrett Jackson Scottsdale and I heard there predicted to sell them for $400,000 a piece there with no reserves and PCNA is upset now because they wanted to sell them there and couldn't because Aliens were secretly behind talking them into selling them in ATL and CA. But the aliens are really the ones who are profiting here not Porsche because Porsche paid them under the table!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine if the auction went the other way and it all sold for 8Ok? my god we would have all the scavengers and trolls going to the pub celebrating.

Why can't you all be happy about this and accept it the way it should be interpreted. More Demand than supply?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact that dealers are willing to pay close to MSRP for used 2014's with branded titles is a great thing for those of us that already have a GT3 or one on the way. No downside as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
#13 almost $50k in options with a base color. that's impressive.
Weird. #13 is listed in that list as an MSRP of $179,540. But, here's the build sheet:

WP0AC2A99ES183205
911 GT3 130,400.00
082 90L - Fuel tank 0.00
0Q White 0.00
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) 9,210.00
474 Front axle lift system 3,490.00
490 Sound Package Plus 700.00
509 Fire Extinguisher 140.00
583 Smoking package 0.00
602 LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +) 3,110.00
619 Mobile phone preparation 0.00
640 Sport Chrono Clock (with PCM) 400.00
68 Leather interior in Black/Alcantara®, stitching in Guards Red 3,320.00
686 SiriusXM Satellite Radio® Receiver 750.00
749 Leather interior package with decorative Red stitching 1,490.00
840 SportDesign steering wheel 0.00
CFX Personalized Floor Mats with Leather Edging 455.00
CGJ Sport Chrono clock dial in White 500.00
CTR Air vents painted 1,710.00
EGA Carbon interior package (with leather interior) 1,340.00
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package 2,635.00
P23 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. navigation module 0.00
XFJ Instrument dials in White 860.00
XHM Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber 630.00
XSX Seat belts in Guards Red 340.00
XUB Headlight cleaning system covers painted in exterior color 295.00
XXG Clear glass tail lights 610.00
XYB Fuel Cap with Aluminium Look Finish 160.00
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest 0.00
ZAC No Sunroof 0.00
Total Options 32,145.00
Total Charges 995.00
Total Order 163,540.00

Somehow, I'm doubting that the MSRP listed in the auction list is the MSRP from the buildsheet. Did PCNA make new used car MSRP recommendations in the auction?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True. But I like the theory that PNA paid the 'compensation' money to the dealers directly and so thereby reducing their costs. I still say 'let the buyer' beware of the these cars when it comes to resale. True, that the car will most likely be fine in the long run and the ext warranty is great, but for my money, I aint buying one of these new or used!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RESPORT
Also, late reply on my part, but thank you for posting this list!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
The fact that dealers are willing to pay close to MSRP for used 2014's with branded titles is a great thing for those of us that already have a GT3 or one on the way. No downside as far as I'm concerned.
I agree, but to test this high value mark, why don't some of you with 2014s see how much your dealer will buy them from you for. You have barely used 2014s ( clean title) with an extra year of warranty, so you should be able to collect MSRP easily right? Not a trade, just a straight sale to these dealers desperate to get their hands on the rare GT3.

My personal 2014 will arrive brand new in early November, and when I approached my dealer about trading it in immediately on a 2015 order, the question posed was how far under MSRP was I willing to take. Another dealer would not commit to the purchase, as they were uncertain what my brand new 2014 would be worth 1 month from now.

Just another perspective, but I suspect there is more than just unadulterated market forces at play with these exceptionally good auction results. I certainly am curious to know, but the more important question is what these 20 bring at retail.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AHHHH

I think I figured it out. They will all be CPO cars, therefore the dealers can charge more for them right from the word go. And probably Porsche cut some deal with the dealers on lower CPO costs for these cars, so more margin.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
I agree, but to test this high value mark, why don't some of you with 2014s see how much your dealer will buy them from you for. You have barely used 2014s ( clean title) with an extra year of warranty, so you should be able to collect MSRP easily right? Not a trade, just a straight sale to these dealers desperate to get their hands on the rare GT3.

My personal 2014 will arrive brand new in early November, and when I approached my dealer about trading it in immediately on a 2015 order, the question posed was how far under MSRP was I willing to take. Another dealer would not commit to the purchase, as they were uncertain what my brand new 2014 would be worth 1 month from now.

Just another perspective, but I suspect there is more than just unadulterated market forces at play with these exceptionally good auction results. I certainly am curious to know, but the more important question is what these 20 bring at retail.
Dealers will give the song and dance about any trade regardless of these recent results. The new "line" will be because 20 just came to market that the 991 GT3s just aren't worth that much anymore because the market is "flooded" with them, and if this reason doesn't pop up there will be 40 others they will use. They will always try to get a trade for less than you feel it is worth...I have never heard any friends say that they got thousands more than they originally wanted when they walked in?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
What I'm suggesting is that a buyer who knows the car's history might conclude that the car isn't really "used" at all in the usual sense, with a brand new engine and extended warranty.
Mike,with all due respect,please check the listing again. The cars have miles on them up to 1900. Brand new engine,but what about transmission,suspension etc? I'm sorry but that's used where I'm from...
Old 09-24-2014, 06:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Also, late reply on my part, but thank you for posting this list!
Stunning how many in white...I'm down to rhodium to unseat agate. Agate matches asphalt better than any other offered color. In the distance you blend into the road compared the a brighter color. With cop radar gunning, I feel agate will give you a better chance...lol
Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike,with all due respect,please check the listing again. The cars have miles on them up to 1900. Brand new engine,but what about transmission,suspension etc? I'm sorry but that's used where I'm from...
Nick, 13 of the 20 cars have less than 1K miles. 11 have 500 miles or less. All have completely new engines. The wear factor on the other components is inconsequential, IMHO. The cars may technically be used, but they aren't really used in a way that will be meaningful to the usefulness of the car, IMHO. You may disagree.

Regardless, we're arguing semantics now, which seems pointless, much as I enjoy going back and forth with you. I'll just leave it at this; I can understand how a prospective buyer might consider one of these cars if their local dealer has no 2015 allocation to give them, or other options are impractical, and they really want a 991 GT3. I personally wouldn't pay over MSRP for one, and in fact wouldn't pay over MSRP for any car, but other people do lots of things I wouldn't do and it doesn't necessarily mean they have no sense which is what you originally suggested and what prompted my reply. Clearly you have a different opinion and I respect that.

Quick Reply: PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today