Sponsored by:

PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Gotta be more to this story. I was offered one of these cars at under sticker. There must be a backend or huge incentives not included in the sale price for these to have sold for those numbers!!
That is plausible. Porsche gives the dealer say a $30k incentive but requires purchase by the dealer at MSRP so as not to drag down the resale price and to allow dealer to show an invoice purchase price at MSRP or close to it when selling to a buyer.

Dan (thinks you got the answer)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

2 other quick points:

1) Regardless of ultimate dealer asking price on these units, if a dealer makes only $1000 markup its $1000 more profit they had without car in stock

2) this is the aspect that had been overlooked...financing these units at dealership. The flat fee or finance reserve (difference between actual rate and what they mark rate up) just for arranging loan could be potentially $4k plus on these loan amounts and in this case they could profit with no markup in sale prices at all (not likely but plausible). I might add this would be plus any potential extended warranty, maintenance agreements, potential trade ins, etc, etc
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
The vin numbers should be posted as a sticky somewhere to protect RL members down the road.
What are you protecting them from? It actually would help some one confirm they were buying a "branded title" that was not the result of an accident.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta be more to this story. I was offered one of these cars at under sticker. There must be a backend or huge incentives not included in the sale price for these to have sold for those numbers!!

Your source was lying to you Rosenbergendo. Think about it, how can he possibly offer you one of these cars?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree. Would like to know the rest of the story.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Correct,huuuge incentives!!!

Some people might get confused between MSRP and Invoice. A friend of mine that used to work for a dealer explained to me how the process works. He even risked getting fired to show me in the computer system how the pricing is set up. The difference between MSRP and Invoice can be in a few thousand range to a lot more depending on model,options and manufacturer incentives. Although one might think Invoice is the price the dealer bought the car for,it is actually incorrect. The dealer buys the car below Invoice but a sales associate has no way of seeing the actual buying price,it is password protected in the system and only a manager higher up can see it.
So,if you think there's not enough " play room " in the price,think again!
All I'm saying is,even though a dealer bought a branded title GT3 at MSRP in this auction,he might be receiving a 20K incentive(just an example) back from PCNA or other benefits.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:25 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neanicu
Correct,huuuge incentives!!!

Some people might get confused between MSRP and Invoice. A friend of mine that used to work for a dealer explained to me how the process works. He even risked getting fired to show me in the computer system how the pricing is set up. The difference between MSRP and Invoice can be in a few thousand range to a lot more depending on model,options and manufacturer incentives. Although one might think Invoice is the price the dealer bought the car for,it is actually incorrect. The dealer buys the car below Invoice but a sales associate has no way of seeing the actual buying price,it is password protected in the system and only a manager higher up can see it.
So,if you think there's not enough " play room " in the price,think again!
All I'm saying is,even though a dealer bought a branded title GT3 at MSRP in this auction,he might be receiving a 20K incentive(just an example) back from PCNA or other benefits.
These cars were sold as used cars, new car holdbacks and other new car profits would not apply to these in this auction sale
Old 09-24-2014, 01:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
These cars were sold as used cars, new car holdbacks and other new car profits would not apply to these in this auction sale
That's what you think and what makes sense,but do you have any way of knowing for sure PCNA did not work some kind of a backdoor deal with the buying dealers?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I followed this auction 'saga' on Manheim, since I have access to their website. I also contacted this morning two Porsche dealers I know to see if they were planning to bid on the gt3's at the auction. Both said yes! I asked them to give me a report at the end of the day & they both graciously agreed to do so. And they followed up on their promise, for which I am most grateful!

One dealer bid on three gt3's and failed to get any! They all went for higher amounts than that particular dealership thought it was worth it for them to make the purchase. Read the above text carefully...I worked at the wording carefully to make sure it conveys the proper context! The other dealer bought one of the auctioned gt3's. They paid roughly $700 less than its original MSRP. They will add up the shipping (approx. $1000) from that particular Manheim auction site, plus some auction fees, to evaluate their total investment in the transaction. And then they will immediately put the gt3 for sale and ask around $8K over their cost!

This dealership looks at this as a simple auction transaction...and they are not worried about 'title' issues! In this particular state, the only 'branded' title is salvage. And this, according to the General Manager of this Porsche dealership, will not be a 'salvage title'! As far as this dealership is concerned, this gt3 is one more car to sell into a high demand environment! Period, end of story. And the GM specifically mentioned that he also looks forward to see what kind of 'trade-in' vehicle (hopefully a late Porsche model) they might get from the buyer for this gt3! Don't forget that part in the $ equation! There are a lot of folks with '13 & '14 991S & 4S, some heavily optioned, that are trading them in for the new 991 gt3's! And the dealers are getting these 991's at very 'low' wholesale prices. So, this dealership is planning to make a reasonable profit at both ends...plus financing incentives* if that is required on the sale! All together, a well-thought out plan...if they can get the right buyer for this gt3 bought at auction!

So that is the way just two prosperous & well-managed Porsche dealers saw this auction today. One took a pass. The other made a purchase. Take from it what you will. It's capitalism at work and I am impressed at how well it all went down! It bodes well for resale values of the .1 991 gt3, that can't be denied.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*from lenders & leasing companies, including Porsche Financial Services.
Thanks for the context, Eduardo. Despite some of the comments about the impossibility of clearing a branded title, what you have described seems very close to what my source told me originally about the title being "laundered". My choice of wording may have given the wrong impression but the end result seems to have been exactly the same based on the example you cited; the cars will carry no stigma. at least not on the title.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:42 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neanicu
That's what you think and what makes sense,but do you have any way of knowing for sure PCNA did not work some kind of a backdoor deal with the buying dealers?
No, but we are hunting for conspiracies and secret dealings that DID NOT HAPPEN. It's ok for us to take the results as they are. Supply and demand
Old 09-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jlanka
And no black at all. I guess thats not as popular as black on a Carrera
When we were on the factory tour we were told that the most popular color in Germany was black, followed by silver. Here it's white, by far. Interesting since white is the German national racing color, but the natives there seem unimpressed by that fact.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

It will come down to people buying these cars with money to burn and no possibility of getting a 2015 allocation....for some $20 - 30K doesn't mean much and the "I gotta have one" mentality will take over.....
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
these nuance details/differences are lost on the average buyer, and especially 2nd buyers a few years from now... I just think some of us are shocked that these cars brought MSRP or higher, and that's not really a judgment about anything one way or the other, except that it was surprising... the market is what the market is, always... my personal opinion though, is that whoever tries to sell these cars later will definitely take a hit and have to explain a lot of details because there are plenty non lemon GT3s out there... remember, Rennlist is an overly informed cohort compared to public....
I respectfully disagree. As has been pointed out the issues around the 991 GT3 have been well documented and fully explained. There's no mystery or uncertainty left, and it's uncertainty that drives up concern and drives down valuation.

The market for this car is proving far more resilient than anyone thought and everyone who has predicted doom and gloom so far has been proven wrong. I think there's a lesson there for the future as well. My $.02.

With regard to the conspiracy theories; the simplest explanation is usually correct. Dealers who bid on these cars think they will be able to sell them without prejudice or difficulty and make a profit. Period.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for the context, Eduardo. Despite some of the comments about the impossibility of clearing a branded title, what you have described seems very close to what my source told me originally about the title being "laundered". My choice of wording may have given the wrong impression but the end result seems to have been exactly the same based on the example you cited; the cars will carry no stigma. at least not on the title.
Interesting. Dealer in CA or other state has a car that would be branded lemon title, sells it to buyer in GA. It is sold clean title then the Dealer buys it back and then sells in CA or other lemon law title state with a clean or "laundered" title? Not a bad deal for the dealer paying say $800.00 shipping. Bad for the consumer who is unaware and unprotected from the lemon law titling intent.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I respectfully disagree. As has been pointed out the issues around the 991 GT3 have been well documented and fully explained. There's no mystery or uncertainty left, and it's uncertainty that drives up concern and drives down valuation.

The market for this car is proving far more resilient than anyone thought and everyone who has predicted doom and gloom so far has been proven wrong. I think there's a lesson there for the future as well. My $.02.
I think AcidShort's response when he found out about the engine swap is the more likely scenario.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11642931

Many buyers, as crazy as it sounds, will not know about the engine fire, stop sale, engine replacements or any of the history or documentation and explanation you base your opinion upon.

Dan (read a ton of your posts and appreciated all your comments, thanks Mike)

Quick Reply: PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today