Sponsored by:

PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I can't agree with lodi more....everyone needs to take a breath and relax a bit on this manufacturers buyback issue. You have a well documented and well publicized history as to what the story is with these cars. The fact that by law these had to be bought back and engines replaced then put into a auction isn't the same situation as a manufactuers buyback because Porsche couldn't fix some sort of phantom problem with car that could not be retified and eventually had to be bought back from customer. In that situation sure there would be some real questions as to if problem was really resolved if you were to purchase one of those. Now the value proposition is whole different matter....the market will ultimately speak long term on what effects the title has on value but my guess is it will be minimal because of known engine replacement. These cars will be enjoyed and hopefully we are past any more GT3 major issues in general for the sake of everyone that owns or will own one.
these nuance details/differences are lost on the average buyer, and especially 2nd buyers a few years from now... I just think some of us are shocked that these cars brought MSRP or higher, and that's not really a judgment about anything one way or the other, except that it was surprising... the market is what the market is, always... my personal opinion though, is that whoever tries to sell these cars later will definitely take a hit and have to explain a lot of details because there are plenty non lemon GT3s out there... remember, Rennlist is an overly informed cohort compared to public....
Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
1. May simply confirm that demand is higher than supply at the moment, especially for cars that are available immediately, for which there are surely a couple dozen people around who don't care about paying a premium.

2. Harder to judge what this says about longer term demand vs supply.
Manifold, with due respect.

1. Ermm, did you just realise this!

2. Not really! Unless I'm missing something, nothing on this thread "says" anything about longer term demand vs supply.

If you're referring to values in the near or long term, its a no brainer. As has been stated many times on this forum... buying a car is rarely a financial asset! So take it as read, long term values will of course be lower!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:15 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Interesting to see how close the VIN's are to each other - there are two that are consecutive (102,103).
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RESPORT
[/URL]
#18 must be the one I referenced in my earlier posts on this thread.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

It's amazing that all but 2 of those cars sold for more than what my car stickered for.....guess I didn't add enough options
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
these nuance details/differences are lost on the average buyer, and especially 2nd buyers a few years from now... I just think some of us are shocked that these cars brought MSRP or higher, and that's not really a judgment about anything one way or the other, except that it was surprising... the market is what the market is, always... my personal opinion though, is that whoever tries to sell these cars later will definitely take a hit and have to explain a lot of details because there are plenty non lemon GT3s out there... remember, Rennlist is an overly informed cohort compared to public....
I agree. The purchaser of one of these vehicles is buying: 1) a car that has marred title, unlike all other 2014s with clear title regardless of whether the car is 100% mechanically sound, 2) a car that is one year older than the 2015s selling now, 3) a car that was likely eligible for $2k / mo compensation, say $15k, that the buyer now does not see or receive benefit, 4) a car if optioned with memory seats that could have been another $4k check that the buyer now does not see or receive benefit.

I'd say those facts merit a cut in price of at least $25k to $30k from MSRP and probably more. The dealers grossly over paid and, so will any uniformed buyer. If true, it's no surprise that California and Florida are where these cars ended up. There is no shortage of people with more money than brains willing to buy one of these over priced cars in these states.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Since there's no reasonable explanation as to why these cars sold for what they sold,my sick mind can only see a scheme between PCNA and dealers to keep depreciation low. They must have offered the buying dealers huge incentives. It happens all the time in the auto industry. The buying dealers will not be able to sell these cars above MSRP to make a profit,although there will be a few suckers. Even so,a dealer would not gamble whether they'll find suckers in a timely manner. For those that still haven't figured out,from my experience I haven't met a dealer that stayed in the business and proved successful by giving out " deals " and not making money on certain transactions. They simply do not exist.
Unfortunately,it is also my personal opinion that there are PAG/PCNA trolls and dealer trolls among us that are playing their agenda. I am not accusing anyone in this thread,I have no info in either direction,it is just my guy felling and take it FWIW.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it interesting how this auction went down. To Eduardo's post and his careful wording, I interpret it to mean that those dealers who passed, were looking for 10k to 20k off MSRP to make the transaction worthwhile. This to me seems reasonable given the transaction costs associated with the auction (fees, shipping, etc) and a desire to perhaps discount the cars by, say, 5k to reflect lack of 5 year warranty and marred title.

I think in the short term, these cars will not wear the scarlet letter b/c of demand and b/c they will be sold from a dealer, who adds credibility to the sales transaction.

In the medium term, say, 2-3 years in a private sale scenario I would predict they will be 'story' cars, a term that has been thrown around here in this forum quite a bit. I'd not want to be a seller 2-3 years from now, but I'd possibly like to be a buyer if I could snag a great discount.

In the longer term, say 5+ years out I doubt any of this will matter. All 14's and 15's will be mechanically identical, and mileage and condition will dictate resale. If the powertrain proves durable, then all cars will be sought after. If notable issues crop up (beyond what we say with 7 GT3's). . . well, who knows.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HFM, those numbers are probably high. I'll bet most received compensation of around 10k and the memory seats brought an additional 2.6k.

Maybe just maybe, there was an after purchase incentive waived at the dealers, offering the compensation that was not paid to the original 20 buyers?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
HFM, those numbers are probably high. I'll bet most received compensation of around 10k and the memory seats brought an additional 2.6k.

Maybe just maybe, there was an after purchase incentive waived at the dealers, offering the compensation that was not paid to the original 20 buyers?
Perhaps, so. Let's add: 5) these are used cars, not new, with miles on them, with someone else's build options, and with seats that were likely subject to that other guy's farts for those miles to account for the numbers then.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Since there's no reasonable explanation as to why these cars sold for what they sold,my sick mind can only see a scheme between PCNA and dealers to keep depreciation low. They must have offered the buying dealers huge incentives. It happens all the time in the auto industry. The buying dealers will not be able to sell these cars above MSRP to make a profit,although there will be a few suckers. Even so,a dealer would not gamble whether they'll find suckers in a timely manner. For those that still haven't figured out,from my experience I haven't met a dealer that stayed in the business and proved successful by giving out " deals " and not making money on certain transactions. They simply do not exist.
Unfortunately,it is also my personal opinion that there are PAG/PCNA trolls and dealer trolls among us that are playing their agenda. I am not accusing anyone in this thread,I have no info in either direction,it is just my guy felling and take it FWIW.
Everyone has great input but I think we are over thinking this....very reasonable explanation: dealers feel like they can sell them.......period! If they didn't want them or didn't think market was there the auction prices would have been lower, that simple
Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Perhaps, so. Let's add: 5) these are used cars, not new, with miles on them, with someone else's build options, and with seats that were likely subject to that other guy's farts for those miles to account for the numbers then.
Not too mention nasal mucus under the driver seat!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Sullvan's comment about..."nuances being lost on the average buyer.." What person buying a $150,000 car is average??? Please. IF you are getting these cars at a bargain price (NOT) and IF you are keeping ti long term, (maybe) he's right it might not matter. BUT, good luck on resale to a non-Porsche dealer. Sorry, but I believe these WILL wear the scarlet letter! And as for the legacy story...right..its called a blemish or an asterisk on Porsche model history. Ebay has non-branded 2014 GT3s at somewhat reasonable prices and they arnt exact selling like hot cakes...drive on
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Gotta be more to this story. I was offered one of these cars at under sticker. There must be a backend or huge incentives not included in the sale price for these to have sold for those numbers!!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree.

Quick Reply: PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today