Sponsored by:

PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I don't think Edwardo was saying a salvage title moniker disappears after auction. Edwardo said this: "In this particular state, the only 'branded' title is salvage. And this, according to the General Manager of this Porsche dealership, will not be a 'salvage title'! As far as this dealership is concerned, this gt3 is one more car to sell into a high demand environment!"

I interpret this to mean for certain states, such as Georgia, only a car that was declared a total loss by an insurance company and is repaired and given a "salvage title" after repair is marked with any kind of negative reporting on a title. Georgia doesn't list "lemon law title" and only lists "salvage title" when that case applies. So, if the car was salvaged, even in Georgia it would say Salvage title. But, if the car was a lemon in CA, it would have its title defect scrubbed after sale in GA since it is not salvage title but merely lemon law title which is meaningless in the state of Georgia.

California on the other hand may indicate "DMV$20, MANUFACTURER'S BUYBACK/LEMON LAW (AC) AS IS/NO ARB VEHICLE REPURCHASED FOR EXCESSIVE TIME DOWN WHILE WAITING FOR ENGINE TO BE REPLACED AS PART OF FEDERALLY MANDATED RECALL-REPLACED ENGINE"

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8355...r-auction.html

That title will be scrubbed because the car was sold from GA. When it's brought back into CA, even though lemon laws intended the title to read as indicated above, that language will be missing. To that extent, I think your use of the word lemon and laundry is appropriate.
Your reading of Eduardo's meaning may be correct. In any event, this information about how a state like Georgia handles the transaction helps clarify the issue because some statements earlier in the thread suggested it was impossible for a branded title to be scrubbed. Based on your example, it isn't at all impossible, which is what I was told originally.

As long as everyone involved is honest and knowledgeable about the history of these cars the fact that the title is clear is ultimately of benefit to the buyer as well as the seller, IMHO.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:45 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Dan ( who likes to place editorial comments at the end of his posts)

I wonder if you will start a trend?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:48 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, from what I've heard there is another auction of this type still to come..... such drama.

Really don't see what the hype is all about. The factory made all these cars right. Those of you that already have 2014s have the SAME car, only thing different is the title. These cars are worth MSRP imo.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by am722
That seems to me to be the simplest explanation for this whole thing, to be honest. Who benefits from 20 engine-replaced, branded title GT3s being sold at auction at or near their original MSRPs?

It's not a ton of cars. Couldn't PAG could afford a little bit of side-dealing with bidders to avoid a lot of headaches from watchful current owners? Wouldn't you spend a little bit of money on the front end to avoid an embarrassing PR problem? Why was it a closed auction in the first place? Would it be legal to hold an auction where some of the bidders had a deal with the seller that the other bidders didn't know about?

Would you pay over MSRP for a branded-title 2014 sitting at the dealer, or pay MSRP for a 2015 that you had to wait a few months for?
Who knows, maybe PCNA offered an additional allocation with each successful bid. Then the auction price would reflect both the car bought, plus the value of another sale guaranteed at MSRP.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Who knows, maybe PCNA offered an additional allocation with each successful bid. Then the auction price would reflect both the car bought, plus the value of another sale guaranteed at MSRP.
Could be anything. Could be nothing, too. But not having articles coming out today about engine-replaced GT3s selling way under MSRP (and you just know that a lot of those articles would not highlight the title issue as a factor) is a very nice thing for everyone.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:03 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True. Now I'll wait for 992. LA auto show. For sure.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Sorry, I tried to read all the previous posts, but who said or confirmed that these 20 cars sold close to MSRP at the auction? I've been trying to look for them at Manheim.com, but I don't see any record of these cars.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:13 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
Sorry, I tried to read all the previous posts, but who said or confirmed that these 20 cars sold close to MSRP at the auction? I've been trying to look for them at Manheim.com, but I don't see any record of these cars.
They are not on Manheim anymore. I believe someone posted vins and prices a few pages back
Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

But they are MSRP, not sold prices.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
BTW, from what I've heard there is another auction of this type still to come..... such drama.

Really don't see what the hype is all about. The factory made all these cars right. Those of you that already have 2014s have the SAME car, only thing different is the title. These cars are worth MSRP imo.
Agree!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Regardless of the title, they are all "used" cars with miles with it. How can they be worth MSRP?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,616 Likes on 5,092 Posts

Regardless of the title, they are all "used" cars with miles with it. How can they be worth MSRP?
Because they are ....

G T 3

Old 09-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

They're "worth" what dealers think they can sell them for and what prospective owners will pay for them. These are very low mileage examples of a desirable and relatively hard to get, apparently limited edition car. Go figure...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

These cars are fresh from the factory with new engines with no miles.

Technically used, but without miles on the engine (other than factory test miles).
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

I agree with you, but what they are worth will be determined when they are sold to the consumer. I don't have any data points, but somehow I can't see buying a used 2014( forget the title issue) for the same price as a new 2015.

Quick Reply: PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today