Sponsored by:

PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:08 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have no idea what the working capital is for a Porsche store but a couple of GT3's wouldn't move the needle.
2-3 million minimum for the smallest store so you are very correct
Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. That's why the above argument that smaller dealers got less allotments doesnt hold water unless these were the dealers that bought at auction
Old 09-23-2014, 11:24 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by promocop
I agree. That's why the above argument that smaller dealers got less allotments doesnt hold water unless these were the dealers that bought at auction
I don't necessarily think a lot of small stores ultimately purchased but they certainly might have helped raise the auction values by bidding....I think the stores that got these GT3s were larger high showroom traffic stores that knew they could turn them quickly and were willing to pay big to get a car on the showroom. A friend that operates a Porsche dealer (big city store) said that at one point on a Saturday they fielded over 50 inquires by phone and internet asking about GT3 availability a couple months back! Think about what the total inquires have been since GT3 was announced at that store?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:26 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the dealers are paying MSRP for lemons they should pay more than MSRP for non lemons. NICE!!!!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well stated. And IF these cars are all sold here what happens in two three years when they get sold? What person in their right mind is going to buy a "branded" car when there might be many unbranded ones for sale. I say good luck to those who are trying to sell one of those. I for one may buy a used 2015 in a few years but I most certainly NOT buy one of these auction cars. No sir!
I don't think there will ever be "many" 991 GT3s for sale. This run is pretty limited to say the least. Another thing to consider is how well the replaced engines are doing. I haven't heard of an issue yet so it seems the stigma with the car might be for nothing because the new engines are proving their worth to date and don't seem tainted to me at least.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,616 Likes on 5,092 Posts

Maybe if you buy one of these dealer buy-back auction GT3s you get two engines.

The new one in the car, and the recalled one.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

It's definitely a confounding result to hear what dealers paid.. When you consider their margin I wonder how much they will have to sell over msrp for?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

I think the majority were bought at invoice or close to it, based upon my analysis of the data. The Hennessy cars are priced reasonably fairly vs. what they paid for them at auction. I'll be interested in seeing how long they are there, and since I drive by Hennessy every day, I'm sure I 'll see them parked out front. I would imagine someone on their long list of contacts will get a call and bite. They are an extremely high volume dealer.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

New cars can be exported. Done all the time in South Florida. Export market is very lucrative often cash buyers who can easily pay premium to get what they want immediately. US lemon law of not consequence outside US. Some dealers may plan to hold these cars until production ends. Basically placing a 6-8 month bet that by next spring they can get premiums on even a lemon law car. I think that if production were not ending these cars would have sold for substantially less.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djcxxx
New cars can be exported. Done all the time in South Florida. Export market is very lucrative often cash buyers who can easily pay premium to get what they want immediately. US lemon law of not consequence outside US. Some dealers may plan to hold these cars until production ends. Basically placing a 6-8 month bet that by next spring they can get premiums on even a lemon law car. I think that if production were not ending these cars would have sold for substantially less.
New cars cannot be exported per dealer agreement, are they... Yes but Porsche gets a report each month of cars reported through customs on way out......if new car VIN that a dealer was allocated is on that list dealer gets a allocation penalty, usually 2 for 1 meaning they would lose 2 allocations for each 1 exported. Do they catch every one, I don't know but do they catch some, YES

Also keep in mind maybe it's worth risk for dealer of getting caught if they are offered big enough profit margin on a particular product.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

They can't hold on to these cars. The 'flooring' costs will kill them. They want to strike fast and neat.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

They can't hold on to these cars. The 'flooring' costs will kill them. They want to strike fast and neat.
You would be surprised at how low a rate dealers get on floor plan, and not all dealers floor on used inventory.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

They can use them for advertisement , and see other cars. People will oodle over them, and buy something else until they can get a premium.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone have a list of the selling prices from the auctions today?

Thanks.

Vivian.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:39 AM
marz7490
Instructor

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
Interesting thread. I can't imagine this is coincidental given this info, but I though you all would like to hear this. I received an email at 4:46 PM today from one of the dealers I pinged last month looking for an allocation. This is the email in its entirety; "We just bought a 2014 GT3 Sapphire Blue. We will be asking 159,990. Thought you might be interested. I can forward the build sheet if interested." Not sure what the build looks like but the price they're asking has to be at least at MSRP or higher (given the range we've typically seen).
Was it Porsche of North Houston?

Quick Reply: PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today