Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014 | 04:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

It goes to show you that you can find bigger idiots at the track than on the street. Cheap pride that can cause accidents. He should get black-flagged. That guy was nowhere near Apexes,braking zones or a decent driving line.
Old 12-14-2014 | 05:58 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Neanicu sums it up unfortunately. ^^^ +1

Great driving Sam! Way to avoid being an ID 10 T casualty.
Old 12-14-2014 | 06:12 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

^agree! Sam great defensive driving. The VetTE guy is dangerous. Painful to watch the mid-apex braking.
Old 12-14-2014 | 06:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Agree with comments above about mid apex braking, made me very nervous following him in turns. That said, had we made contact in that turn (little bend), it would have been my fault since I knew he was right there. Hence the "red mist strikes again" title.
Old 12-14-2014 | 07:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
This is how he is, always. It became pointless to talk to him. That HPDE used to allow passing anywhere with a point in the red group but has now taken that away because of one particular driver.....
Wth? How come that guy is still allowed to participate in events? He should be booted and not allows to return. Ridiculous.
Old 12-14-2014 | 07:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Wth? How come that guy is still allowed to participate in events? He should be booted and not allows to return. Ridiculous.
He and his very sweet wife have attended every single event for this DE school since inception except for a handful and he knows everybody. He is a good guy off track and I actually had lunch with them after that session. I gave him loads of **** but his conclusion was that I needed driving lessons.
Old 12-14-2014 | 08:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

He and his very sweet wife have attended every single event for this DE school since inception except for a handful and he knows everybody. He is a good guy off track and I actually had lunch with them after that session. I gave him loads of **** but his conclusion was that I needed driving lessons.

Dunning Krueger effect at it's finest....
Old 12-14-2014 | 10:33 PM
spooky
Intermediate

I needed driving lessons.
Great video thanks for sharing
Old 12-14-2014 | 11:31 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Nice driving sam
Old 12-14-2014 | 11:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

So no one else at these events has noted his driving and behavior as problematic? Is everyone else like him?
Old 12-15-2014 | 12:05 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
So no one else at these events has noted his driving and behavior as problematic? Is everyone else like him?
He wouldn't get away with driving like that at a PCA or NASA event, IME.
Old 12-15-2014 | 12:07 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Chasing the same track modded Z06 with a modified and bored C5R engine, 600+ hp at RW, Hossiers. Glad the grip gods intervened.
Porche 991 GT3 at MSR 1.7 m CW close call/red mist on Vimeo
Did you reposition your mic at this event ? the wind buffeting sound seems greatly reduced compared to your last COTA vid.
Old 12-15-2014 | 09:41 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Dunning Krueger effect at it's finest....

Originally Posted by spooky
Great video thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by jenk12m
Nice driving sam
Thanks!

Originally Posted by hf1
People have complained but it's not going anywhere.

Originally Posted by rockitman
He wouldn't get away with driving like that at a PCA or NASA event, IME.
True.

Originally Posted by rockitman
Did you reposition your mic at this event ? the wind buffeting sound seems greatly reduced compared to your last COTA vid.
I didn't yet. I normally have the external mic taped to the bottom of the passenger's seat back, to reduce buffeting but also to capture tire noise. At COTA, I thought if I cover that mic with another thin foam layer, buffeting would be eliminated/reduced but it actually made it worse!! So, I removed the extra foam this time around. Also, the long straights at COTA are faster (138 and 158 Vmax) while at this track it's in the 120s and that may be another reason for the perceived less buffeting.
Old 12-15-2014 | 01:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

I did a Thunderhill day yesterday, and it went better than I expected. I did multiple 1.56.x laps, including some with passing. I'm especially proud of 1:56.5 with a passenger and full extended tank of gas! Best theoretical was 1.55.1. All stock except pads. MPSC2 new rear tires and fronts with about 2 days left in them.

My front tires wear so well/evenly that thread disappeared pretty much everywhere already. With my current set up, the car is a bit understeery, but it's probably because of older tires at the front. It was most neutral to slight oversteer when I had the same set up but old tires at the rear and new the front. Not changing all 4 at once is always a compromise. But I like current set up. It allows me to push closer to the limit of my ability, because it's more similar to how my M3 felt. It does plow into T4, and forces me to breathe off the throttle to make the T15 apex, resulting in almost a second lost in those two places compared to my previous setup, but I'm faster everywhere else now. This is my second time running the East track in this car, by the way, but I did few days on the long track, so I was fairly comfortable with the most of it.

I'm confident the car will do under 1:55 with ease, and probably under 1.54, even with me driving and with stock tires, which I think is great. I remember one member posted "56's OTT in GT3's are always on cheater tires. Always. And they are hero laps under perfect conditions " in another thread. I do not think it's the case with 991.

Will post videos shortly.
Old 12-15-2014 | 01:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I did a Thunderhill day yesterday, and it went better than I expected. I did multiple 1.56.x laps, including some with passing. I'm especially proud of 1:56.5 with a passenger and full extended tank of gas! Best theoretical was 1.55.1. All stock except pads. MPSC2 new rear tires and fronts with about 2 days left in them. My front tires wear so well/evenly that thread disappeared pretty much everywhere already. With my current set up, the car is a bit understeery, but it's probably because of older tires at the front. It was most neutral to slight oversteer when I had the same set up but old tires at the rear and new the front. Not changing all 4 at once is always a compromise. But I like current set up. It allows me to push closer to the limit of my ability, because it's more similar to how my M3 felt. It does plow into T4, and forces me to breathe off the throttle to make the T15 apex, resulting in almost a second lost in those two places compared to my previous setup, but I'm faster everywhere else now. This is my second time running the East track in this car, by the way, but I did few days on the long track, so I was fairly comfortable with the most of it. I'm confident the car will do under 1:55 with ease, and probably under 1.54, even with me driving and with stock tires, which I think is great. I remember one member posted "56's OTT in GT3's are always on cheater tires. Always. And they are hero laps under perfect conditions " in another thread. I do not think it's the case with 991. Will post videos shortly.
Damn, max!! That's what I'm talking about! 1:56 is fast on mpsc2!!! Congrats! What is your alignment setup?

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.