Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014 | 08:14 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
Seems to be gobbling tires, especially in the front. How many hours per day is your typical track day?
2- 2 1/2
Old 11-04-2014 | 08:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
2- 2 1/2
Good to know. My track days are usually more like 1.25 to 2, though I've done up to 3. But unfortunately, my home track is fairly tough on tires. Do you flip L/R to even the wear out?
Old 11-04-2014 | 08:30 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
Good to know. My track days are usually more like 1.25 to 2, though I've done up to 3. But unfortunately, my home track is fairly tough on tires. Do you flip L/R to even the wear out?
Home track is horrible on tires (MSR). When I go to ECR, another local track, there is hardly any wear and I bet at least 1-2 more days can be gotten. if I don't dirve equal amounts of CW and CCW, I rotate.
Old 11-04-2014 | 08:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Guys down under finding it remarkably good on tyres and brakes - we run 90-110 mins a day and most seem to be getting 6 days and a few thousand roadies out of a set. Global consensus seems to suggest the 991 Gt3 is considerably kind on consumerables for the performance it offers. I tend to agree...
Old 11-04-2014 | 08:44 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Guys down under finding it remarkably good on tyres and brakes - we run 90-110 mins a day and most seem to be getting 6 days and a few thousand roadies out of a set. Global consensus seems to suggest the 991 Gt3 is considerably kind on consumerables for the performance it offers. I tend to agree...
Yes. I forgot to add that I have 8,000 + miles on the car.
Old 11-04-2014 | 10:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Any plans to go and see more tracks? Travel a bit further
I don't think I posted this one, first time at TWS. You can tell I was respectful of turn 1 the first few laps because I had a scary off there in an earlier session.

Old 11-04-2014 | 11:55 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

T1-T2 takes some large ones for sure.

I drag raced a 991 down the front straight at TWS, and I will say y'all seem to have more than 475 would indicate. I would venture to say a 4.0 would not be able to hang. Same guy was doing 1:50s lap times, which is about what the old girl will do on a cold day and lots of encouragement.
Old 11-07-2014 | 02:25 PM
Arth
Racer

A track day happened today at the Dubai Autodrome

Open day for all cars. Hope you enjoy

Old 11-21-2014 | 11:47 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Some track day impressions from last weekend. Sorry, no vid - Harry's Lap Timer glitched and only did data logs (yes, I have not bought a "real" system yet - still deciding which one). It was a two-day event, and I was instructing, so basically I was in a car from 9 till 5 with 3 short breaks every day. Drove 3 40-min sessions on one day and 4 40-min sessions on another. It was an interesting event for me because it was probably the first time I was driving the car at my 10/10. I had very few clean laps given a lot of traffic, but the car was very fast. I broke into high 3:20s with ~4-5 quick passes per lap. On the last session I was able to follow a NASA racer for an entire session, and when I later talked with him, he said he ran very low 3:20s without traffic and was VERY surprised I was able to hang on. So was I, to some extent. But I feel the car may go even under 3:20 with the stock tires.

Anyway, impressions:

1. Tires - I replaced my rear tires before the last session of the last day, and forgot to adjust pressure. An interesting observation was that new tires with 41psi hot were not too bad and gripped slightly better than 11-day tires with 35psi hot. Also, rear tires wear much less than fronts. I'm at -3 front and -2.5 rear camber, and it seems that it's just right or maybe a bit too much negative. Interesting thing - when they took old tires off, there was a nail in one of the tires. The nail punctured the thread and was sticking out inside the tire, but the inside lining of the tire stretched and covered it like a condom and was not punctured, so the tire was not leaking at all. Great technology.

2. Brakes - it was my first non-rain track day with Endless pads. I liked them a lot on one hand - very and consistent good brake feel. On the other hand, it was much easier to create deposits, so I had to be smoother/slower on brake compared to stock brake pads or Pagids on my other car. No heat issues and amazing performance all around.

3. Fatigue - one thing that many do not take into account is that this car is just magical in terms of providing great feel of road and steering without excessive vibration and harshness. In no other car I'd be able to drive so much and keep my senses. It really tires you less, and that matters in some cases.

4. Centerlocks - I posted more detail in another thread, but basically it took me less than 5 mins per wheel to replace them. Easy.

In general, driving this car closer to the limit is much more rewarding because it communicates more clearly closer to the limit. It felt great in every way.
Old 11-21-2014 | 11:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Max great feedback.

What hot temps are you targeting with MPSC2 these days?

It sounds like you went Endless ME20/22 not MX72? If so yes, you need to be careful with deposits. Old discs dont help here. If it continues tp be an issue try the MX72, I think youll get similar performance with less issues.

The car seems very kind on consumerables. 11 days on rear tyres. Those MPSC2 are unreal.
Old 11-22-2014 | 12:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Some track day impressions from last weekend. Sorry, no vid - Harry's Lap Timer glitched and only did data logs (yes, I have not bought a "real" system yet - still deciding which one). It was a two-day event, and I was instructing, so basically I was in a car from 9 till 5 with 3 short breaks every day. Drove 3 40-min sessions on one day and 4 40-min sessions on another. It was an interesting event for me because it was probably the first time I was driving the car at my 10/10. I had very few clean laps given a lot of traffic, but the car was very fast. I broke into high 3:20s with ~4-5 quick passes per lap. On the last session I was able to follow a NASA racer for an entire session, and when I later talked with him, he said he ran very low 3:20s without traffic and was VERY surprised I was able to hang on. So was I, to some extent. But I feel the car may go even under 3:20 with the stock tires.

Anyway, impressions:

1. Tires - I replaced my rear tires before the last session of the last day, and forgot to adjust pressure. An interesting observation was that new tires with 41psi hot were not too bad and gripped slightly better than 11-day tires with 35psi hot. Also, rear tires wear much less than fronts. I'm at -3 front and -2.5 rear camber, and it seems that it's just right or maybe a bit too much negative. Interesting thing - when they took old tires off, there was a nail in one of the tires. The nail punctured the thread and was sticking out inside the tire, but the inside lining of the tire stretched and covered it like a condom and was not punctured, so the tire was not leaking at all. Great technology.

2. Brakes - it was my first non-rain track day with Endless pads. I liked them a lot on one hand - very and consistent good brake feel. On the other hand, it was much easier to create deposits, so I had to be smoother/slower on brake compared to stock brake pads or Pagids on my other car. No heat issues and amazing performance all around.

3. Fatigue - one thing that many do not take into account is that this car is just magical in terms of providing great feel of road and steering without excessive vibration and harshness. In no other car I'd be able to drive so much and keep my senses. It really tires you less, and that matters in some cases.

4. Centerlocks - I posted more detail in another thread, but basically it took me less than 5 mins per wheel to replace them. Easy.

In general, driving this car closer to the limit is much more rewarding because it communicates more clearly closer to the limit. It felt great in every way.
Nice update, Max. Congrats on the 3:20! Let us know which endless pads you are using.
Old 11-22-2014 | 10:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Max and Sam, the lone wolfs tracking their cars and willing to share from the US tracks..
Old 11-22-2014 | 10:44 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Max and Sam, the lone wolfs tracking their cars and willing to share from the US tracks..
Gimme 2 months...
Old 11-22-2014 | 11:34 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thanks for posting your observations, Max. And Joe, we are waiting for you.
I wanted to post an interesting observation from Thursday. I went to the track with nearly worn tires, to have a few sessions in before I get a new set in preparation for COTA. There was no one on track the first session so I decided to run with ESC/TC off. Having no one on track would allow me to focus on driving rather than lap times.
I didn't know what to expect, since I always tracked the car with everything on as I wasn't (and still am not) trying to prove anything, just wanted to keep my car safe. The first few laps were 1-2 seconds slower (fear). I then gradually increased my speed. I eventually was able to go at my usual pace, very consistently (see pic, from second session). My lap times were the same as usual BUT saving the car from an inadvertent oversteer is much MUCH more fun with all off. Before, it felt the car (throttle) wasn't very responsive (TC) and the whole car (ESC) magically got back on line. With all off, you get the gratification of actually making the correction. In both scenarios, obviously, lap times go bye bye.
That day underscored and (to me) cemented what I thought all along: the nannies in this car do not interfere until you are about to lose the car.
I am going to post another observation and take it FWIW. I am (nannies on or off) a WHOLE second slower than in February. It is still possible that it is weather and atmospheric pressure related but it was cool this Thursday (high 40s first session). I have two things different on the car: Cargraphic manifolds with 200 cell cats, that my mechanic was very concerned their collector was clearly smaller in diameter than stock's and, ready for this, a new engine. I am not implying the new engine is slower or is a hair detuned but the thought is in my mind for sure. Before trading the car in for the RS, I will take the Cargraphic manifolds out and track the car. You bet I will post a conclusion on the engine if the car does the same lap times. I am not a conspiracy theorist, just posting what I observed (I keep an excel file with all my track events, times, weather, tire status etc).
I didn't take a video Thursday as I wasn't planning this. I may go tomorrow (if my car gets done today) and will post a systems off video if I do.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SamFromTX; 11-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2014 | 12:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks for posting your observations, Max. And Joe, we are waiting for you. I wanted to post an interesting observation from Thursday. I went to the track with nearly worn tires, to have a few sessions in before I get a new set in preparation for COTA. There was no one on track the first session so I decided to run with ESC/TC off. Having no one on track would allow me to focus on driving rather than lap times. I didn't know what to expect, since I always tracked the car with everything on as I wasn't (and still am not) trying to prove anything, just wanted to keep my car safe. The first few laps were 1-2 seconds slower (fear). I then gradually increased my speed. I eventually was able to go at my usual pace, very consistently (see pic, from second session). My lap times were the same as usual BUT saving the car from an inadvertent oversteer is much MUCH more fun with all off. Before, it felt the car (throttle) wasn't very responsive (TC) and the whole car (ESC) magically got back on line. With all off, you get the gratification of actually making the correction. In both scenarios, obviously, lap times go bye bye. That day underscored and (to me) cemented what I thought all along: the nannies in this car do not interfere until you are about to lose the car. I am going to post another observation and take it FWIW. I am (nannies on or off) a WHOLE second slower than in February. It is still possible that it is weather and atmospheric pressure related but it was cool this Thursday (high 40s first session). I have two things different on the car: Cargraphic manifolds with 200 cell cats, that my mechanic was very concerned their collector was clearly smaller in diameter than stock's and, ready for this, a new engine. I am not implying the new engine is slower or is a hair detuned but the thought is in my mind for sure. Before trading the car in for the RS, I will take the Cargraphic manifolds out and track the car. You bet I will post a conclusion on the engine if the car does the same lap times. I am not a conspiracy theorist, just posting what I observed (I keep an excel file with all my track events, times, weather, tire status etc). I didn't take a video Thursday as I wasn't planning this. I may go tomorrow (if my car gets done today) and will post a systems off video if I do.
Thanks, Sam! You've confirmed my exact thoughts on porsche's modern day ESC systems, though there are still those out there that would disagree with us.

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.