Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
I was in manual mode. I ran with ESC off and didn't experience any gearbox induced downshifts that I didn't control. I did run a few laps in automatic - it was actually pretty good about up/down shifting in the same areas I would have. I just preferred to be a bit more involved with the car. I was threshold braking in a few areas (i.e. after the long straight) but rarely got into ABS. I can't remember getting the traction control to kick in. I also ran the car on the skid pad and must say that it was very difficult to get the rear end loose, even when trying to induce oversteer (flicks, power-on) - I think the lower speeds of the skid pad, combined with the rear wheel drive steering seemed to counteract oversteer. I did get the back end to move in some faster sections, albeit very controllable.

I also found that running in the sport shock setting, the car was far more twitchy with the setup I was running (tended to oversteer more - especially in the two areas where the car "catches air", and the car seemed to also understeer and oversteer more frequently out of moderate speed corners (whereas in the stock shock setting, the car was much more settled)). The stock setting was certainly faster and more stable on this particular track set-up. I found the same thing to be true in my gen 2 RS. If I were to change anything on the car, I would change out shocks for 2-ways. I was running tire pressures around 33-35 hot (measured with tire pressure gauge and not the TPMS).

FWIW - I bought the sunglasses cam from Amazon - Amazon.com : Inventio-HD Pro 1080P Video Sunglasses (1080p 30fps & 720p 60fps) : Sports And Action Video Cameras : Camera & Photo

A few comments about them - bulky, had to wear a open face helmet, and I usually take out the lenses when using. I purchased them to have a better idea where my eyes were and if my head was turning while driving. For that purpose, they met my needs.
Thusly,
appreciate your track insights.
Did you have stock align settings?

Has anyone experimented with lowering their 1GT3?
appreciate insights,
P
Old 05-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LEFT-FOOT Braking

Now that there are only two pedals, are people using their left foot to brake on the track?
Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm braking with left foot both on track and in daily driving.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by levd
I'm braking with left foot both on track and in daily driving.
Cool! I've been practicing the skill in daily driving as well. It's definitely different, like using your left hand.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:06 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Laguna Seca last Friday recorded using the Porsche Track Precision app:

Only managed a 1:43 so far. Tons of opportunities for improvement! Still getting comfortable with the feel of the car... note the lift in front of the sound booth before I had my sound fix fully debugged.

Thought some folks would appreciate that the Porsche Track Precision app actually works sometime (with video manually exported over Apple AirPlay).

LOL at the car at the end of the video for those that watch it all the way through!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Any hopes of adding second Camera? I suppose you could place the camera behind you so you can see actual drivers input (and check with graphics) and still see the track out the windshield...

Do these symbols show if PSC or TC come one, if the car over or under steers?

Looks cool
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Any hopes of adding second Camera? I suppose you could place the camera behind you so you can see actual drivers input (and check with graphics) and still see the track out the windshield...

Do these symbols show if PSC or TC come one, if the car over or under steers?

Looks cool
Yes those supposedly indicate amount of wheelspin and understeer / oversteer. But they never move that much... we need Chris Harris to do a lap with the Porsche Track Precision app to see what they indicate.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

"Back it in and wack the throttle"

Thanks, look forward to more video's from the app.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Laguna Seca last Friday recorded using the Porsche Track Precision app:

Laguna Seca in 2015 GT3 recording using Porsche Track Precision app

Only managed a 1:43 so far. Tons of opportunities for improvement! Still getting comfortable with the feel of the car... note the lift in front of the sound booth before I had my sound fix fully debugged.

Thought some folks would appreciate that the Porsche Track Precision app actually works sometime (with video manually exported over Apple AirPlay).

LOL at the car at the end of the video for those that watch it all the way through!
I'm gonna have to give the track app one more try this Friday just so I can see how that understeer/oversteer gauge and traction control gauge works. Is there some sort of app you can know of that will let me export? I don't have appleTV...
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ Thanks for Beta testing guys!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that had to be a blast (sorry was watching mid ohio vid)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier this month, I went to a track/lapping day on the big track at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (formerly known as Mosport) with the 6th Gear group. It was a beautiful sunny and warm day and first track day for me this year. I couldn't beat my previous best laptime of 1:34.7 from last fall, and I wonder whether it's because I let my tires reach 38-41 psi (hot) as the day wore on.

Open lapping the whole day......passing only allowed on the straights and only with the driver in front pointing you by.

Here is a video of me chasing down many cars over a 10 minute period:

And here is a video of me following a 991 Turbo, which was following a another 991 GT3:
Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive had a similar experience here in NZ. I put it down to tyres. I have less than 50% left on them after 1000km track and 10500km fast road and touring. They are almost 18 months old. Ive just had new ones fitted for a track weekend coming up and hope performance is restored. I was around 2s off on a slightly shorter track. Im thinking the grip has fallen off possibly the tyres are heat cycling. They still showed 3.78mm inside and 4.8mm outside tread depths when I changed them over. -2.0 F+R camber. I think perhaps driving them for 15 months on road across a variety of temp ranges (0C to 30C) has taken its toll...
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm gonna have to give the track app one more try this Friday just so I can see how that understeer/oversteer gauge and traction control gauge works. Is there some sort of app you can know of that will let me export? I don't have appleTV...
I just use the app "X-Mirage". Windows or Mac version, $16. Lets you easily record AirPlay wireless video streams.

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.