Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:34 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That's with factory brakes too? Any fade? Amazing time! Congrats!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
That's with factory brakes too? Any fade? Amazing time! Congrats!
Factory brakes, steel rotors but Endless pads. The only thing that faded was my mental capacity at the end of the day - some fellow drivers were not sure about letting me drive back. I drove 7 sessions, and was fighting a cold.

One strange thing happened. Low oil notification came up in the morning. So I added 200ml (all I had with me - stupid). After 6 sessions, the notification comes up again while at the grid before last session, but this time it's red - low oil, do not drive! I pit in to add oil, add another 200ml, and it shows oil full to the max now. I think the sensor may be confused a bit. Maybe it has something to do with the cold - we had low 40s all day even hail for few minutes...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Max. How are you enjoying the endless? Are they ME22? How are they wearing?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ditto Max. Can we get an ENDLESS review from you.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a different note Sam, love your red carbon fiber. Can you post some pics of your interior, perhaps in the GT3 pic thread? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:45 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The pads are N05U, which I believe is either newer version or next grade from ME20 - higher friction coefficient and more temp stability. Work very well with GT3s relatively low brake boost.

The wear is good. Seems like a bit less or no visible taper and noticeably less dust. No fade at all. Also, almost no noise. I ran two sessions in a row (40 mins total), one of them being a time-trial session, and had no fade after that.

My only gripe is that sometimes at threshold braking they have this strange stick and let go behavior, which is a bit similar to ABS but weaker, except it's uneven and a bit scary. It's similar to what happens when you have pad deposits, except I do not have any visible deposits, and it happens only at very strong braking. Did not happen with stock pads.

They also have a bit of a burnt clutch smell for few minutes after a session. I thought I stepped into dog poo :-). It's not too bad - just funny. Definitely not as bad as some other track pads smell, and just more "organic".

I may try PFCs next.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

The promised videos. As you can see, at least a second can be shaved by cleaning up simpler mistakes, and more is definitely possible.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:15 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
The promised videos. As you can see, at least a second can be shaved by cleaning up simpler mistakes, and more is definitely possible. Video Link: http://youtu.be/EzxtBIg5pL4 Video Link: http://youtu.be/KQ11bLExB-8
Nice driving and thanks for posting! The audio sounds much better! When are you gonna get a solo DL so I can steal your secrets?

Btw, what do you think of taking a tighter line through turn 3? I've noticed that most 911s I follow take a wider line, but turn 3 and 4 is where I gain a lot of ground on them. Is this a rear engine thing?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:38 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The promised videos. As you can see, at least a second can be shaved by cleaning up simpler mistakes, and more is definitely possible.
Awesome, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Very nice driving! Orthojoe, I always took the high line on 3 with a mid track approach and always felt it was the most stable and quickest in my 991S.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nice driving and thanks for posting! The audio sounds much better! When are you gonna get a solo DL so I can steal your secrets?

Btw, what do you think of taking a tighter line through turn 3? I've noticed that most 911s I follow take a wider line, but turn 3 and 4 is where I gain a lot of ground on them. Is this a rear engine thing?
Turn 3 had a lot of dirt and some water on the inside through the first half of the turn, so I was just staying away from that. Normally I hug the inside through most of turn 3. Turn 4 was just not done well in these vids - my best for that day in that turn was 0.5 seconds slower than my best from previous track day (on 5 mile bypass), which is huge for just one turn. So I need to review vids and understand how I did it better before.

Rear engine thing is happening in turn 8, I think, where after I turn in, the car just keeps rotating, so I often need to straighten the wheel before apex, like in a go-kart. I'll need to turn in smoother and/or turn in with maintenance throttle to have the rear more planted.

Regarding Solo DL - that thing is just too complex for me. All these wires and mounts, and separate parts to buy. I know I'll buy it wrong way and it will be just sitting in my garage uninstalled. I think I need a smartycam and Solo DL dash thing, but that seems redundant since both are data loggers. So I am not sure if I'm missing something there.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Turn 3 had a lot of dirt and some water on the inside through the first half of the turn, so I was just staying away from that. Normally I hug the inside through most of turn 3. Turn 4 was just not done well in these vids - my best for that day in that turn was 0.5 seconds slower than my best from previous track day (on 5 mile bypass), which is huge for just one turn. So I need to review vids and understand how I did it better before.

Rear engine thing is happening in turn 8, I think, where after I turn in, the car just keeps rotating, so I often need to straighten the wheel before apex, like in a go-kart. I'll need to turn in smoother and/or turn in with maintenance throttle to have the rear more planted.

Regarding Solo DL - that thing is just too complex for me. All these wires and mounts, and separate parts to buy. I know I'll buy it wrong way and it will be just sitting in my garage uninstalled. I think I need a smartycam and Solo DL dash thing, but that seems redundant since both are data loggers. So I am not sure if I'm missing something there.
If we're at an event together next year, I'll show you my setup. It's really very simple with a Solo DL and smartycam. The software is actually the complicated bit.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Makes sense. Yeah, it didn't look like you put yourself in a good position for 4.

Interestingly, I used to have the same problem that you are experiencing in turn 8 with my spyder as well. I think that you are correct that the remedy is to turn in with maintenance throttle. Once I started to do that, the rear felt much more planted and I found myself going through the apex more more smoothly and with even higher apex speed.

Too complex? You're a tech guy! I'm a glorified carpenter!
I'll be connecting the solo DL to my car. We can do the install together if you want and I can show you how it all works.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
If we're at an event together next year, I'll show you my setup. It's really very simple with a Solo DL and smartycam. The software is actually the complicated bit.
+1. I'm just not a fan of smartycam. The software does take some time to learn.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great vid Max!! Besides the Endless pads, anything else you have done for your current set up? What type of geo are you running? How about sways?? Also, I assume your are aiming for the typical 29/30 hot tire press? Thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Great vid Max!! Besides the Endless pads, anything else you have done for your current set up? What type of geo are you running? How about sways?? Also, I assume your are aiming for the typical 29/30 hot tire press? Thanks
My set up is stock position for sway bars, not 100% sure about the camber since the last adjustment - checking with my mechanic. Pressures were 30/32 F/R. I also have the wing adjusted to the more aggressive angle (one hole up), but I do not think either the adjustment or wing are big enough for it to be noticeable. Everything else standard. I'm new to driving 911s, so I'm trying to not make too many adjustments until I build up enough experience with the car to understand what's making things better and what's making them worse.

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.