Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
wow, quite the impact!
That was some serious speed.
What do you figured happened?
Just a flat left rear on the fastest part of Road Atlanta..
I was passenger instantly.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Yikes. Sorry to hear and hope it's operational and back in business soon.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Owwww.....ouch.....really sorry. Glad you're ok.

I'm sure. When you get to be my age though, your perspective tends to change about some things. Check back in a few years and we can discuss.

Thanks Mike, I have a few years to go and I had good unexpected pure car buyers / sellers related reasons for selling them.

I'm pretty settled down usually, not much changed in my life the last 20 years. Very boring all, except for track cars and track days
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
On the other hand I really loved shifting the tough old bird last week until I crashed it anyway crashing (tire went down) makes me rethink $$$ track cars...
Peter, I am really glad you are ok. That was a hard hit, and someone is watching out for you. Don't rethink the track cars, that's what makes us happy the most, it really is hard for the first couple of weeks after crash as you play it in your head over and over again, but soon enough your passion is back and you want back in the saddle more than ever. Good luck my friend and really glad you are ok. By the way I watched your video, and that was some impressive driving prior to accident and also equally impressive attempts to recover from the spin,although not much you can do when you lose a tire at this high speed. Mark
Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's one reason I autocross. Yeah, I know all about a day wasted waiting around in the sun but it's a way to exercise the car with minimal risk.
Speaking of auto crosses... I thought of you last weekend while participating in an Autocross. I am not typically an autocross guy, but occasionally participate in some, but this last weekend was so much fun. It was very wet, and slippery and lots of slipping and sliding, but was not too bad with my 911 4s, the 4 wheel drive certainly help especially on straight sections to put as much power to the ground. First time in a 911 in an Autocross, as I always used my Caman or Boxster for Auto-cross events and 911 for the track. I actually had initially registered my GT3 for the event as I wanted to experiment with GT3 limits in a safe environment, and everyone was looking forward to meet the beast and were disappointed when I showed up with the 911 4S. I think the GT3 will probably shine in Autocross, especially with the 4WS so I am planning to bring her to an Autocross event when I get her back, and hopefully it will be wet again. Mark
Old 04-07-2014, 02:38 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No not minor. I always had track insurance in the RS, but this car was too cheap...

Glad I was in a halo seat, cage, etc.. This was Sunday a week ago.
I put picks on 964 forum "crash damage"
http://youtu.be/McKAI0sxUkI
Glad you are OK Peter. That was a hard hit. You are so lucky.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Speaking of auto crosses... I thought of you last weekend while participating in an Autocross. I am not typically an autocross guy, but occasionally participate in some, but this last weekend was so much fun. It was very wet, and slippery and lots of slipping and sliding, but was not too bad with my 911 4s, the 4 wheel drive certainly help especially on straight sections to put as much power to the ground. First time in a 911 in an Autocross, as I always used my Caman or Boxster for Auto-cross events and 911 for the track. I actually had initially registered my GT3 for the event as I wanted to experiment with GT3 limits in a safe environment, and everyone was looking forward to meet the beast and were disappointed when I showed up with the 911 4S. I think the GT3 will probably shine in Autocross, especially with the 4WS so I am planning to bring her to an Autocross event when I get her back, and hopefully it will be wet again. Mark
Cool Mark! I missed my first one last month and will miss a couple this month too. Maybe should take the Cayenne for grins, but it would probably just turn into an exercise in shredding all-season tires....
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

Glad you are ok! The seat and HANS did it's job. You could see the head movement being restricted very effectively. That's what I'm worried about the most while tracking cars without bucket seats - side/angle impact. Frontal or rear, and seatbelts paired with airbags and other safety tech in modern cars are VERY effective - progressive deceleration, well-controlled. I've seen people walk away from cars looking like a crumbled foil candy-wrapper. But impacts at weird angles are a different story. Road-specific safety systems are not as effective against those.

As soon as stop-drive is over, I'm getting right seats and harness set up.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 AM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive footage and impact. Glad you came out ok.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

PDK update: is it any good?

Experience from the Boxter loaner that has a PDK. I've rarely driven autos and never a PDK but was in the camp expecting the PDK to be a good fit with the engine in the 991 GT3.

First impressions with the Boxter: I HATE THE PDK! When in auto mode it drives just like an auto (no surprises I guess!). That's fine in traffic I guess but it's not appropriate for a sports car. I may as well get a Prius. So, I try it in manual: very hard to get used to at first. All sorts of things going on that get between you and what's happening to the drivetrain of the car. For example, it stop starts, it goes to neutral when you coast, cutting back in when you apply the brake. It kicks down when you floor it, even in manual - WTF?! It just feels like you're not driving it and a sports car is about how you feel interacting with the machine when driving it - not much else for me really. So I end up just leaving it in auto, perhaps with sport on so it doesn't change up at 1,200 r.p.m.

On further driving: I FORCE myself to use manual, even though I find it annoying, all the time, even in traffic. I put it in Sport Plus mode to get rid of the stop start and get the sportier throttle map. I use the gear **** because I hate the steering wheel buttons. I try not to floor it to avoid the kick down. After a couple of days of this I have now got used to it to an extent. It doesn't feel as though you have a connection with the machine as much as it does with a manual but there are some benefits, the best of which is it's easier to switch down a gear and I'm more likely to drop down into first.

Would I rather have a manual? Yes. But I am now enjoying using the car with the PDK.

I still have high hopes for the GT3 as I think PDK-S irons out some of the wrinkles I still have with the PDK: I hope it doesn't kick down when you floor it in manual mode, changes will be much quicker, I will prefer the paddles to the buttons, it should fix the fact PDK doesn't let me manually change up to 7th in Sport Plus mode, which means I end up fiddling with buttons on the motorway. Of course I will have to relearn how to move the gear **** the other way if I end up favouring that.

I bought my father a new wallet for his birthday after his old one finally wore out. When I asked him later if it was ok he said he found it annoying because it didn't have the same compartments and layout as his old one and he couldn't get everything into it the way he was used to. But he said that he was certain he would grow to love it as he did all his previous ones.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

No not minor. I always had track insurance in the RS, but this car was too cheap...

Glad I was in a halo seat, cage, etc.. This was Sunday a week ago.
I put picks on 964 forum "crash damage"
http://youtu.be/McKAI0sxUkI
Oh man – glad you’re ok – that was a hard hit. Amazing video up until that point though – great driving – I was out on track in a 73 yesterday….racing those cars must be incredible fun. Good luck getting her back on track
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 647 Likes on 327 Posts

Peter - what class do you run in? G or H?

(sorry this has continued off topic, but I gotta believe the 'topic' of this thread is beaten to death after 248 pages, maybe a little diversion???)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

Peter,glad you're ok! That was some impressive driving,you have talent. Too bad this unfortunate incident happened.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM
MAKHNO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Wait, why? Did they refuse to give you a refund for the GT3 if you didn't order another Porsche? or did you order the Boxster to avail a discount?
They refused to take the car back.
Boxster at full list plus $10.000 of a GT3 if I order it within the next 2 years.

Yes, it stinks, but no more stomach for this.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
PDK update: is it any good?

Experience from the Boxter loaner that has a PDK. I've rarely driven autos and never a PDK but was in the camp expecting the PDK to be a good fit with the engine in the 991 GT3.

First impressions with the Boxter: I HATE THE PDK! When in auto mode it drives just like an auto (no surprises I guess!). That's fine in traffic I guess but it's not appropriate for a sports car. I may as well get a Prius. So, I try it in manual: very hard to get used to at first. All sorts of things going on that get between you and what's happening to the drivetrain of the car. For example, it stop starts, it goes to neutral when you coast, cutting back in when you apply the brake. It kicks down when you floor it, even in manual - WTF?! It just feels like you're not driving it and a sports car is about how you feel interacting with the machine when driving it - not much else for me really. So I end up just leaving it in auto, perhaps with sport on so it doesn't change up at 1,200 r.p.m.

On further driving: I FORCE myself to use manual, even though I find it annoying, all the time, even in traffic. I put it in Sport Plus mode to get rid of the stop start and get the sportier throttle map. I use the gear **** because I hate the steering wheel buttons. I try not to floor it to avoid the kick down. After a couple of days of this I have now got used to it to an extent. It doesn't feel as though you have a connection with the machine as much as it does with a manual but there are some benefits, the best of which is it's easier to switch down a gear and I'm more likely to drop down into first.

Would I rather have a manual? Yes. But I am now enjoying using the car with the PDK.

I still have high hopes for the GT3 as I think PDK-S irons out some of the wrinkles I still have with the PDK: I hope it doesn't kick down when you floor it in manual mode, changes will be much quicker, I will prefer the paddles to the buttons, it should fix the fact PDK doesn't let me manually change up to 7th in Sport Plus mode, which means I end up fiddling with buttons on the motorway. Of course I will have to relearn how to move the gear **** the other way if I end up favouring that.

I bought my father a new wallet for his birthday after his old one finally wore out. When I asked him later if it was ok he said he found it annoying because it didn't have the same compartments and layout as his old one and he couldn't get everything into it the way he was used to. But he said that he was certain he would grow to love it as he did all his previous ones.
Programming of PDK in Boxster/Cayman is terrible.

When I first test-drove previous gen cayman R with PDK, it left me frustrated, compared to E90 M3 DCT. To my surprise, the current gen Cayman's PDK was not much better - faster and crisper shifts and fewer/no weird delays but all the wrong stuff you described was there. GT3 and most other dual-clutch transmission cars do not have that! Why Porsche chooses to make PDK behave like it belongs in a Camry in most of their cars is beyond me.

Anyway, do not judge by that experience - it's not representative of how dual-clutch transmissions in sports cars work.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MAKHNO
They refused to take the car back.
Boxster at full list plus $10.000 of a GT3 if I order it within the next 2 years.

Yes, it stinks, but no more stomach for this.
That is completely unacceptable.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?