Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
And therein lies the crux of this mass delusion. To those of us who have actually participated in replacing an engine, installing a known defective engine makes complete sense.

*How do you QC the various systems and subsystems with no engine connections (electrical/fluid/vacuum) attached?
*If not QC'ed, and discovered problems corrected, is manufacturing actually complete?
*How do you set wheel alignment on a car with no engine?
*How do you secure all that crap hanging down back there that's not attached to anything?
*How do you weatherproof the open ends of all that crap? (Wires, hoses, tubes, fittings,etc)
*How do you secure, with ability to rotate with no interference, the inboard ends of the CV shafts?
*How do you get a car that doesn't run under its own power out of the factory and moved amongst the various storage locations? Donkeys? Dog teams? Slaves?
*There's no electrical system available! How the f*ck are you going to lock it? How will you crack the windows so you can latch the doors closed and then get them back open? Disconnect your battery with the windows rolled up and then try to close your doors.

I'm sure others can add to the list.

When you live on dreams and fantasies, of course reality doesn't matter. After all, what you don't understand doesn't exist
That makes sense. Actually alot. They have to make sure it's within spec once everything is mated together. Mike
Old 04-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
That makes sense. Actually alot. They have to make sure it's within spec once everything is mated together. Mike
Whether or not Porsche knowing put a defective engine into cars built after they knew of the defective is not the issue. The question is when will these car be delivered to their owners.

Let's assume that these cars were built with the bad engines for reasons outlined above. These cars are still at the factory waiting for engines which are now being produced. Porsche knows they need to replace the engines and then ship the cars (6-8 weeks) to the owners. Does anyone doubt that these cars will get engines before the Y2015 model?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:44 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Whether or not Porsche knowing put a defective engine into cars built after they knew of the defective is not the issue. The question is when will these car be delivered to their owners. Let's assume that these cars were built with the bad engines for reasons outlined above. These cars are still at the factory waiting for engines which are now being produced. Porsche knows they need to replace the engines and then ship the cars (6-8 weeks) to the owners. Does anyone doubt that these cars will get engines before the Y2015 model?
PCNA has unequivocally said ever since the recall that engines will be swapped in order of original production and that no 2015s will receive the new engine prior to the swaps on 2014s being complete.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Since cars already built have priority for the new engines, a November date for your 2014 would mean no 2015's will be built before then and that doesn't make sense either. Sadly, there's a lot of bad information floating around and I suspect/hope you have gotten some.
Hope you're right Mike, but when the misinformation is coming directly from PCNA, what am I supposed to believe?
Old 04-26-2014, 05:21 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
So based on what is in the Porsche system Porsche is going to build a 2014 model after they build AND deliver a 2015 model????? Buyers with late deposits get the 2015 model to drive before those that had earlier deposits get their 2014 model and delivered after 2015 model?

What universe is Porsche living in? I don't think so. Understand this. Engines being built for the GT3 will go first to the 785 affected cars which include I believe those at the factory. Nothing else makes any sense.
Nick,
one qualifier, I believe there are more than "785 cars" identified in the Feb. 20th Stop Sale recall that need a new engine. I know there are several cars that began production in March.
I believe GT3 prod was not stopped until March 20th?
So who knows how many additional engines need to be built, before MY'15s start?
Only PAG...
And, the 'RT' post stated that only 25 of the 40 daily engine prod would be shipped, due to 1,000kil. bench testing...what happens to these 15 after? tear-down?, inventory? don't know yet.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,455 Likes on 759 Posts

Does any one have confirmation that each engine will be bench tested. If so, does any one have an idea why they would be. Now, I would assume it would be to ensure every new GT3 engine leaving the factory will be perfect. Also, if this is truly confirmed then a short break-in period would be warranted and then let her rip
Old 04-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The talk of the 1000km bench test is reported on Rennteam but should be taken as a rumour at this stage. It is however logical and feasible. A well known and trusted board member here also mentioned to me a few weeks back that his contact within PAG has commented they were using every available test room on the engines. I suspect it's prudent to continue this practice on the first 800 production engines. This should be the most tested engine to go into a new production model for years. If the engines are confirmed bench tested I run in should be necessary.....
Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,455 Likes on 759 Posts

Being that the 2 cars that went up in flames did so with very low mileage; this bench testing would make sense just to ensure that all is well
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully they will let us know officially of the 1,000km bench test if the rumor is correct. thus saving from wasting time with the break in period. Not looking forward to that.. will be hard to keep under 4-5k RPM for 1000mi after all this wait!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They will confirm this I suspect. I will be running a one tank of gas run in procedure just like the factory recommended to me personally first time around with ED. My run in will be the 300km to the two race tracks I'm taking the gt3 to when I get it back...
Quite frankly the factory will be anticipating very few people following the manual break in procedure due to their frustration at waiting so long to get their cars on the road .
Frankly after the wait and with the extended warranty and the questionable MY2014 residuals I can fully understand most will take this car and just drive the pants off if it which is a great idea!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

My break in miles on my 6gt3 was 300 miles. Plan to keep that break in stage on any new car : ). Mike
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know how people are interpreting the RT rumor about the daily engine prod?
I interpreted it as PAG would bench test 15 of the 40 daily units to make sure each batch was sound (if one of the 15 failed during testing, PAG would recall the other 25 before the owner took delivery/engine installed).
So 25 of the batch would not be bench tested and shipped/installed immediately.
Hard to believe PAG would bench test every engine.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Hard to believe PAG would bench test every engine.
In the circumstances, it's hard to believe they wouldn't.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
In the circumstances, it's hard to believe they wouldn't.
Once Porsche is satisfied it identified the problem and fix, standard practice requires some testing but to test all the engines would be an indication they do not have confidence in their solution. I just don't see that as a plausible situation. We'll know in a couple of weeks if not sooner.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:23 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand there is as cold bench test and a hot bench test. For cold they would just spin the engine using an external drive vs hot they would actually start the engine. At least that is what some one posted months ago. So if they do not run it hot you still need to go through the break in period since it would not experience full thermal impact to the engine.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?