Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mike my warning is just take the risk off the table and wait a bit longer.

Than again, maybe you should not take advice from idiots who could not afford to keep their 4.0 and track it.
Great advice about taking "risk off the table". You can always buy another GT3 down the road.

As for the 4.0, I was offered an allocation, and turned it down. My logic? I already have a 3.9 Manthey, so why the heck would I need a marginally faster 4.0? I'd like a "do over" on that decision.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand everyone's frustration, but it is what it is. For me, I have several other cars to drive but only one other track car. I bought this car to track and after the new motor, I'm going to drive the hell out of it. I plan on getting a RS also but going to keep this one to and probably make it my daily driver. I do love the way it drives...
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
So Mike, are we to assume this testing didn't happen first time around or that it did and failures were ignored??? If they were carried out extensively as one would hope, I can't see how a design made it to production that now needs to be re-designed... It's not like this happened in the battles of track use, it was in the battles of break in...

Even Hyundai and Kia don't have recalls on rod bolts.
Chris, I was told that this defect did not show itself in all of the extensive testing done on these cars until the two specific failures occurred.

Even if one doesn't believe that, there is another fact for which I have yet to hear an adequate explanation from anyone. There are hundreds of these cars in the hands of owners, many already with substantial mileage, others driven hard on track. With the exception of the two cars that were almost literally right off the showroom floor, none have experienced this failure. Perhaps you or someone else could come up with a theory on why hundreds of cars with an obvious design problem could be so trouble free in thousands of miles of driving, and two others could exhibit failure right out of the box.

We've all been slamming the letter for it's lack of specifics in several areas. Personally, I suspect there is more information surrounding the cause and solution than was outlined in the e-mail.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Even Hyundai and Kia don't have recalls on rod bolts.
According to the letter the problem is the "piston rod screw connection" not necessarily the screw/bolt itself. And they are testing an "optimized screw connection". That sounds like the fix is really a redesigned connecting rod.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 PM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche997s
I am not an automobile engine designer, but I have designed plenty of other high speed rotating equipment. It would seem to me that connecting rods and bolting design are fundamental to the design, development and test of a new engine ... How could a company like Porsche get this wrong? It just seems inconceivable that they would push this engine to 9000 rpm and not perform good engineering due diligence. Anyone have any experience with con rod design that could elaborate.
I do not have a horse in this game, but, agree. We are talking simple old connecting rod, cap, bearing bolt/nut stuff here... how much is there to really invent? The communication referred to loose, but nothing exactly specific on anything breaking...or that a connecting rod hold sheered...etc. I thought that this part of the engine assembly was done with human intervention. Is it not possible that it could be as-simple-as human error on assembly?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just out of curiosity, precisely what specific "updates" would make people feel better?
Mike I only can speak from our own experience. As I mentioned in the past we are a mobile emergency pumping systems manufacturer but we also manufacture other equipments such as heat machines, off road trucks, and hydraulic turbines for energy recovery. 35% of our units are sold to rental companies such as Hertz, or the US army. As rental units or even army equipment they get abused, and of course they still expect warranty after all the abuse. So there is big emphasis on our designs to be "Abused-Proof". However from time to time, and especially with a new product something breaks or become loose and we will have to pull the equipment from the filed and bring it back to our facility for evaluation and possible redesign. What typically we do, is develop a timeline showing when the equipment will be returned back to the end user. This timeline is developed with engineering & production as engineering is in the best position to estimate the design & testing cycle, and production is in the best position to estimate the schedule to manufacture or source the new components. Marketing then constructs an overall timeline showing the entire process and estimated completion date. We update this schedule showing our progress against our initial estimate, and send this update weekly to the affected customers. The customers are usually very happy with this approach as they can determine the end point and allow them to plan for other arrangements, until this end point is achieved (equipment returned).

The weekly progress report also shows them how the factory is doing against their proposed timeline, and if they are working hard enough to fix the problem. It also places pressure internally on the manufacturer to hustle and make the proposed schedule.

The lack of information from Porsche and also leaving the issue open ended opens people to speculation and does not allow the end user to plan or find other solutions. They need to treat this as a project and assign it a project manager who develops a time line for this project and provide us with weekly updates about the factory progress and the chances of meeting the proposed deadline. If Porsche ends up beating the proposed deadline they will come out as a hero, otherwise they will be !!!!! (leave it to your imagination).

I too believe Porsche will end up giving us a great car with a reliable fix but I have no idea when. I would feel much better if I know what is going and not rely on wild speculations from this forum or others. Of course they would also have to compensate us fairly for all of this and perhaps give us some solutions of how to handle upcoming track events without our GT3. They owe us at least this much. Mark
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mike my warning is just take the risk off the table and wait a bit longer.
Maybe your a poor engineer, but I must be poorer because I would not take a risk like that for fun.
Better than egg on your face risking a possible 30K+ in instant depreciation on a car that's not dependable while you have to make payments and cant get rid of because of owing more than it's worth.
I can see guys like us not putting money down because we plan to keep the car forever, but what if its bad all around even after this engine fix, running a couple dozen engines?? What about the previous millions of test miles, if that did not do it, whats a dozen engines running gonna do?

Maybe your wife would agree with me and let you buy an RS

Historically RS is only $15-20K more, but maybe now its $50k due to the overwhelming success of the GT3.....

I know there are not yet many proven alternatives for a GT3, but than again the 991 GT3 has proven itself to be plenty troublesome off and on the track, (right from the journalists test drive) to give something else a try. GM seems to be trying the hardest, I think a Corvette or even CaymanGT to be introduced next month would be a good alternative to carry one to an RS or at least the forever more valuable 2015 model, its only a few months behind the fixed 2014..

Than again, maybe you should not take advice from idiots who could not afford to keep their 4.0 and track it.
Peter, I appreciate the advice, but I simply don't feel that my investment is at risk. Porsche will figure out how to fix a con rod bolt, FCOL, and the engine will be good as new; certainly as good as those in any future GT3, RS, or Cayman GT. Unless, of course, you believe that Porsche has just packed it in with regard to ever producing a reliable car ever again.

The car is paid for, there are no payments. I'm willing to see how this plays out. If the fix isn't satisfactory it will give me more ammunition to deal with them in the future. My daughter is quite a good lawyer.....another investment that paid off.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I personally believe that the engineers were astonished that their technologic marvel could have been undone by normal parts quality variation in a critical area where perhaps the computers cut the performance safety envelope a little too close. These types of failures have a "swiss cheese" component where two or more factors must align to result in failure whereas one alone would not. That alone should provide current owners with confidence that the new engine will be a winner since a repeat failure is extremely unlikely. I owned a 95 530i BMW that had the nikasil cylinder liners that crapped out w/ the high sulfur gasoline. The extended warranty meant nothing, the value of the car tanked and nobody cared anyway. I mention this because a GT3 is not a BMW or any other car for that matter. Owners and non owner car enthusiasts care about the GT3, something that is not true about most cars. I'd sit tight if I owned one and let Porsche work to make it right. I believe Porsche has big plans for this engine and is not about to let it die on the vine. I'm looking forward to round 2 which is why I leased my C4S.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomGTA
Hello, long time since I last posted!
Yesterday I had dinner with the chief aftersales manager from my PC (lifelong friend of mine) he was in Barcelona for the presentation of the Macan and they talked about the GT3 too. It's VERY sure we'll all get new engines, the GT development team (Preuninger included) have not had one free weekend since the recall. They have done over a 1000 laps of Leipzig with GT3's to find a fix the issue (I've seen a video and it's impressive to see 5-6 GT3's lapping as hard as they can, relentlessly). We will get all the info on Monday, but it seems it's the conrod bolts which aren't in spec.
Porsche is very aware the owners are not happy and they had a whole team working on the compensation package. Apparently GT3 owners still are Porsche's most valued customers as they consider us technically versed, good drivers, brand loyal and aware of the heritage (we are internally ranked higher priority than Turbo or 918 owners!).

Anyway we are all getting new engines, current owners first (in the order of delivery) and undelivered cars next.
All details will be sent to the aftersales guys Monday afternoon in Europe, so we will get official letters on Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted!
PS: cup and RSR are currently testing with the DFI engine and a Turbo with energy recovery (like F1) so that they cover all bases for next regulations.

Link to video of 5-6 GT3's lapping Leipzig as hard as they can relentlessly please!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Mike,you know how much I respect your opinions,but this is Porsche marketing BS at its best!!!

This is the video I've been looking for a long time. I can't stand and watch this BS any longer! No way the engine problems wouldn't develop in this ^^^kind of testing! I'd say the chances of no rod bolts failures during the testing,had they've been using same parts(and it makes no sense whatsoever why they wouldn't) are less than 10% IMHO!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an April delivery date, so I can relate. I've been looking at this in positive ways - like maybe we will get the RS motor - or something more advances and powerful - especially if they are going to replace all motors as part of correction that must include a redesign. I remember when I had a slight concern about my '01 C4S motor, and they sent an entire new one in a crate from Deutschland.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mqandil
Mike I only can speak from our own experience. As I mentioned in the past we are a mobile emergency pumping systems manufacturer but we also manufacture other equipments such as heat machines, off road trucks, and hydraulic turbines for energy recovery. 35% of our units are sold to rental companies such as Hertz, or the US army. As rental units or even army equipment they get abused, and of course they still expect warranty after all the abuse. So there is big emphasis on our designs to be "Abused-Proof". However from time to time, and especially with a new product something breaks or become loose and we will have to pull the equipment from the filed and bring it back to our facility for evaluation and possible redesign. What typically we do, is develop a timeline showing when the equipment will be returned back to the end user. This timeline is developed with engineering & production as engineering is in the best position to estimate the design & testing cycle, and production is in the best position to estimate the schedule to manufacture or source the new components. Marketing then constructs an overall timeline showing the entire process and estimated completion date. We update this schedule showing our progress against our initial estimate, and send this update weekly to the affected customers. The customers are usually very happy with this approach as they can determine the end point and allow them to plan for other arrangements, until this end point is achieved (equipment returned).

The weekly progress report also shows them how the factory is doing against their proposed timeline, and if they are working hard enough to fix the problem. It also places pressure internally on the manufacturer to hustle and make the proposed schedule.

The lack of information from Porsche and also leaving the issue open ended opens people to speculation and does not allow the end user to plan or find other solutions. They need to treat this as a project and assign it a project manager who develops a time line for this project and provide us with weekly updates about the factory progress and the chances of meeting the proposed deadline. If Porsche ends up beating the proposed deadline they will come out as a hero, otherwise they will be !!!!! (leave it to your imagination).

I too believe Porsche will end up giving us a great car with a reliable fix but I have no idea when. I would feel much better if I know what is going and not rely on wild speculations from this forum or others. Of course they would also have to compensate us fairly for all of this and perhaps give us some solutions of how to handle upcoming track events without our GT3. They owe us at least this much. Mark
Mark, it sounds as if your company is a good one to do business with.

Maybe it has something to do with the culture of a smaller (not to be presumptive re: the size of your company) versus a very large business. I did engineering for a giant telecommunications firm. We frequently did work which directly impacted consumers. In 30 years I can't think of a single instance where we provided detailed information to customers regarding our planning, engineering, and construction schedules. I don't mean to say that's the best way to do business, but it's not unusual.

I'd love to have daily or weekly updates on the progress of this thing. I'm just not sure how much impact a few web forum members are going to have on a German multi-national corporation. It's possible I'm being defeatist, but I suspect I'm being realistic.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.. is there anyone on the thread that can shed light on this matter, with diagrams of crank, connecting rod, etc., as to precisely what connector and screw(s) are loosening?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

Depreciation most definitely on those 2014's will be absolutely huge. I can see an easy instant 30-50k hit on the 14's. Easy. Not so sure what my "contact" meant that this was a supplier issue?? How did this not show up in their testing for 2 years and 100's of thousands of miles and then when it hit production all of a sudden it was an issue? As this is still playing out I would be ok with a car 1 year from now or an RS...... but its pretty risky taking one these with an relatively untested "supplier" parts.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Historically, how much worse was the depreciation on 997s with various issues?

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?