Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Will do
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Here it is. Note, quite a few changes to the car since the article, but the essence is there:
Just so awesome.

Between you and Macca ... it's like being in the company of uber greatness.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just so awesome.

Between you and Macca ... it's like being in the company of uber greatness.
Appreciate it, but don't leave out Pete's phenomenal car.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

Appreciate it, but don't leave out Pete's phenomenal car.
Of course not. You, Macca, Pete, and everyone else with your talent, gumption, dedication and passion.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Of course not. You, Macca, Pete, and everyone else with your talent, gumption, dedication and passion.
It's a fun hobby - thanks for the nice words
Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Project Nasty is up on jack stands in the shop getting..... More power and some additional suspension goodies. Engine out right now.

Last edited by Spyerx; 08-05-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought it directly from the builder (sight unseen from a Rennlist ad in 2003 - I had someone describe it to me over the phone when it was being shown at Porsche Parade in FL - we made a verbal deal and he drove it to me in Denver after driving to FL from Quebec).

I bought the car for a price that would seem ludicrously low today, but it was not cheap for a lowly 911T in 2003 (ordinary stock samples traded for around $10k to $12k then and I paid several times that). He may have made a profit on the parts (but I doubt it), but he must've written off his labor (of love) that took him two years. He only tracked the car for one morning and feared the car was too nice to be used that way. I didn't share the sentiment - this has been the most enjoyable car on the track I've ever driven and really fun in the local mountains here (I've added a period correct heater/defroster with Stainless heat exchangers, as well as many performance enhancements).
Wow. Thanks for that Grant. You've owned the 73 almost as long as Ive owned my 993 (2001). Unlike my 993 your 73 has unintentionally proven a very prudent investment as I should imagine if you were to sell it today you would get twice what it owes you all in (Im guesisng on the US market here but if it were Europe or UK that would certainly be the case!). Unfortunately my 993 will take at least another decade before it reaches that value and probably a further decade before I am in profit! Just as well we do these things for fun and not money :-) !
Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Unlike my 993 your 73 has unintentionally proven a very prudent investment as I should imagine if you were to sell it today you would get twice what it owes you all in !
No, I've put lots of work into the car and added some very expensive hardware (custom WEVO gearbox and accessories alone were 5-figures, all in - just one of several examples).

Last edited by GrantG; 08-05-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,766 Likes on 2,363 Posts

i have read the article on grant's car numerous times when it was published.
i have seen petervb's car at T Hill few years back
both are insanely phenomenal.
if peter can only convince his builder (who is less than 10 miles from my house) to do something similar..... and provided i learn how to drive an early car... i dont think i can stop myself from building one.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Grant I understand as I have a closet full of those T shirts for the 993. Ive just spent almost 25K USD on G50 gearbox rebuild, new GT LSD with billet ramps, 993TT/RS big brake upgrade, Endless MX72 pads all round, OZ alloys, full engine out service including valve clearances (Im running hot cams with backdated solid lifters), Rennline shyerical suspension arms, new Kuhl air con evaporator install (big job alone) etc etc etc The boys at the track find the 993s handling impressive, especially in the tight stuff where it can pretty much keep up with well driven and modded 6.2/7.1 GT3s (they kill me on the straights) but in actual fact it would be far more sensible I tell them to shell out for a used 7.3 GT3 with a few choice suspension/brake mods and they would not only spend less than I have trying to make something old fast, but have less hassle with old stuff braking under duress etc. That being said old girl has never let me down once in 14 years including some 2000 and 4000 mile track tours with touring etc.

Here she is in March this year even with broken synchros hunting down a 997 3.8 on PCCB and R888s (driven by the owner an ex Porsche series winner who was familiar with the track - it was my first and only say at that track). Hes chasing a supercharged Evora and Im chasing him. Unfortunately I had to double clutch as you can see as my synchro had gone between 2/3 (I couldnt use 2nd at teh corner before teh straight which also cost me time). Thsi was before the bigger tyres/LSD and all above mentioned improvements were pad in April/May. Im now very keen to drive her on back to back sessions with the 991 GT3 in sept ember at a couple of teh tracks Im a bit more familiar with. Im not driving god as you can see from the video - still learning lots (including how to be more/drive sympathetic to gear box and engine after recent big bills!. Listening to the engine on song never bores me tho!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
@9:05
"Forget horsepower. Let's keep things light and raw-dog."
The whole relevant statement starts around 8:40.

That's what RS should stand for, IMO. And judging from the direction this thread has taken, I'm not alone.

There's already Carrera, Cayman, Boxster, CS, and (regretfully now even) GT3 to be the jack of all trades. Who cares if you can't drive a GT3/RS to dinner or drive it to work every day?

GT3 should be at least 200lbs lighter than a CS. RS should be 300lbs lighter on top of that. That + suspension + rawness is where most of their premium should be. Don't even care if they keep the horsepower the same.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
provided i learn how to drive an early car... i dont think i can stop myself from building one.
John - everything you know about driving GT3's will translate beautifully to a well set-up early 911. Although they have a reputation as a handful, they actually are extremely forgiving (and communicate their intention and proximity to the limit so clearly). The lighter weight gives you more margin for correction and develops less momentum in a sideways moment. If you have learned the proper instinctual response to a scary situation (to go for the gas, instead of the brake) as you undoubtedly have, you'll have an absolute ball.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:35 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here she is in March this year even with broken synchros hunting down a 997 3.8 on PCCB and R888s (driven by the owner an ex Porsche series winner who was familiar with the track - it was my first and only say at that track).
Great stuff - nice going!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

By way of comparison here is my first ever session in the 991 GT3 at another track. Very cold day (8C). Was testing the 993 and at the end of teh day hoped in the 991 GT3 and did a session (tyres cold, trunk full of gear, camera thrown in last minute, gearbox sport auto with all driver aids on etc). Very different driving experience but I must confess just as much fun (if not more). Bad lines, turning in too early on two corners and not getting enough speed over the hill - the car takes slightly different lines than the old girl...Grant I know you might think there is nothing as fun as throwing your old timer around the track and I thought the same too but I walked away mightily impressed and now would have a real struggle to decide which keys to grab for a hot lap (probably the GT3 as its still new to me and overtaking on the straights is a real novelty!)

Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Grant I know you might think there is nothing as fun as throwing your old timer around the track and I thought the same too but I walked away mightily impressed and now would have a real struggle to decide which keys to grab for a hot lap (probably the GT3 as its still new to me and overtaking on the straights is a real novelty!)
That was fun to watch (and probably a welcome relief to those reading this thread who would like to see something remotely relevant to this particular thread/forum )

Having to choose between the 993 hotrod or 991 GT3? You have it rough

If I get the Cayman GT4, I'm hoping to also have my 911 (hoping not to sell either for awhile) and then I'll be forced with the same sort of quandary. I'm ready to step into this century car-wise, but not sure I can give up the manual gearbox yet (hoping to have a choice of manual on the GT4).

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread