Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Cup running costs vary depending on a number of factors:

- are you club racer or pro racer
- are you fighting at pointy end of the stick or happy to be mid pack
- are easy or hard on equipment
- do you adhere rigidly to maintenance intervals or push them

Figure $3k/hr run time for "normal" maintenance, mid-level support, and transport and you're getting close.

Any comparison of Cup vs street running costs has to be done on like-for-like basis or it's irrelevant, i.e, both cars on slicks, both same %throttle, etc.

Last edited by Nizer; 08-03-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I think it's hard to make a CUP work without slicks, biggest difference.
Not being able to move it without trailer main inconvenience.

If used as a DE car it will wear roughly the same as a street car in DE if driven similarly.
Once you race, well how fast you want to go? How much you want to spend right?
CUP or anything else.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets not mixup racing with track days. Not many will buy a new RS, and race it, but doing track days with it makes sense.

If you had the money to buy a Cup car for just track days. The expense would be much less than racing it. I'm sure it would still be higher than an RS, but that's the price you pay to track a real race car. Racing it will of course be very expensive.

Lets face it. Putting any Porsche on the track for racing, or track days won't be cheap. Don't do it to impress anybody. Do it for yourself, because you love it. That's the only way to justify the expense.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Do you think you will ever make the switch to a track only car like that of a cup with maybe a race or two? or will you continue to run street legal cars ***** to the wall for the hell of it?

Im trying to figure out which direction to go with my next purchase.
I use my GT3 for joy-rides and DE/practice -- only racing arrive&drive/rentals over the last five years. I got the GT3 in a package with a Trailex trailer but have only towed it twice in 1.5 years. Prefer to just drive it to/from the track. Much less hassle.

The arrive&drive/rental racing market is pretty tight -- don't think anyone is becoming too rich in that business. Skip Barber is barely profitable (if at all). In each instance, I estimate tops 10% profit margin over the total costs I would incur if I owned and raced the equivalent car. If a Cup rental is $12k for a club race weekend, then it would probably cost you $11k (all in) to race your own Cup in the same event and at the same level of competitiveness.

In return:
- you save precious time (how much is an hour of your time worth?) towing it to/from shops for maintenance, or arranging transport and logistics for faraway tracks.
- you get to pick and choose the cars and events/series you wish to race (fly & race).

The more stuff I own, the more I realize that ownership is over-rated.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
True on so many fronts.. I need to look into these arrive/drive events, makes so much sense from a time perspective
Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I've use my GT3 for joy-rides and DE/practice -- only racing arrive&drive/rentals over the last five years. I got the GT3 in a package with a Trailex trailer but have only towed it twice in 1.5 years. Prefer to just drive it to/from the track. Much less hassle.

The arrive&drive/rental racing market is pretty tight -- don't think anyone is becoming too rich in that business. Skip Barber is barely profitable (if at all). In each instance, I estimate tops 10% profit margin over the total costs I would incur if I owned and raced the equivalent car. If a Cup rental is $12k for a club race weekend, then it would probably cost you $11k (all in) to race your own Cup in the same event and at the same level of competitiveness.

In return:
- you save precious time (how much is an hour of your time worth?) towing it to/from shops for maintenance, or arranging transport and logistics for faraway tracks.
- you get to pick and choose the cars and events/series you wish to race (fly & race).

Plus, you have the expense of buying the Cup car to start off, and that can be lost in a bad wreck.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Plus, you have the expense of buying the Cup car to start off, and that can be lost in a bad wreck.
Liability (or insurance) is the same whether you wreck your own Cup or someone else's. No difference on that front.

EDIT: Correction. You do get some economies of scale advantages with insurance (liability) when offered through a bigger shop/organization (Skip Barber) vs. getting it on your own for your own race car. Also, insurance companies could offer lower rates when they have some assurance that the car has been maintained properly (less likely to get wrecked) by an outfit with whom they have a long history/statistics of previous business.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Cup running costs vary depending on a number of factors:

- are you club racer or pro racer
- are you fighting at pointy end of the stick or happy to be mid pack
- are easy or hard on equipment
- do you adhere rigidly to maintenance intervals or push them

Figure $3k/hr run time for "normal" maintenance, mid-level support, and transport and you're getting close.

Any comparison of Cup vs street running costs has to be done on like-for-like basis or it's irrelevant, i.e, both cars on slicks, both same %throttle, etc.
Edit: Only one guy I know that runs street GT3 same way as Cup and trust me he isn't spending any less than I am.

Last edited by Nizer; 08-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Actually, both cars will have approx the same costs if used in the same enviroment.
A street RS raced used for racing will consume the same tires, crew, support, rebuilds etc whereas a Cup used at a street legal car level would last as long a street RS...
It is when the car rubs the tire wall is when the price becomes different.

all in theroy of course
^
a Cup will always be more expensive due to Race gas differential and the additional transport expense...trailer and truck/SUV.
Then, there is the Cup engine/seq. trans rebuild expense...ouch!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Because Mezger...

Put DFI and no rebuild for life!
Amen, brother!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Because Mezger...

Current porsche DFI implementation does have a carbon maintenance issue. Discussed this with my shop engine builder and they are seeing carbon on their turbo customer engines. Not as bad as Audi or Mini however, but it does require engine drop to address (pull intake manifold). One of their turbo customers with about 30k on his 997.2 engine was getting retarded ignition and having power issues. Carbon build up was the issue. That said, he has not seen a lot of this mostly due to lower mileage on most of their customer cars he thinks.

Also asked him about mezger/new engine platform. He loves the split case mezger design, well known, knows every nuance and exactly what to expect and how to extract the most performance. He's built who knows, how many, from 1000+ hp turbos applications to big HP high compression race engines to street builds.

He does have quite a bit of experience with the new engine platform used on the 997.2 and 991 mostly in the turbo applications, which is the platform basis for the new GT3 engine, and had lots of good things to say about it from a design and internals perspective (and NOTHING good to say about the engine used in the 997.1 / 996 non gt/turbo cars). They have quite a few turbo cars making huge power on this platform, and reliability has been very good.

Based his opinions of the design and on his relationships at motorsport he expects it to be used in the race cars soon enough.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I'm with Nizer, I have tracked many many gt3 variants.
amd two cups
if u use them similarly the street car is maybe $500 less per hour less than cup, which in big pic is irrelevant

each has their own issues. to say one is better than the other is simply wrong. analogy would be would u like a 8' long pole or a 24" diameter pole up the rear? they all do similar damage I would imagine.

lmk once you guys try it, then can complete my thesis.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Lets not mixup racing with track days. Not many will buy a new RS, and race it, but doing track days with it makes sense.

If you had the money to buy a Cup car for just track days. The expense would be much less than racing it. I'm sure it would still be higher than an RS, but that's the price you pay to track a real race car. Racing it will of course be very expensive.

Lets face it. Putting any Porsche on the track for racing, or track days won't be cheap. Don't do it to impress anybody. Do it for yourself, because you love it. That's the only way to justify the expense.
despite the recent anger post on u being troll. I think above post shows u know what u talking about. now become a member and bitch with the rest of us who have too much time on their hands
Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^
a Cup will always be more expensive due to Race gas differential and the additional transport expense...trailer and truck/SUV.
Then, there is the Cup engine/seq. trans rebuild expense...ouch!
In the same enviroment (race class) the street car will be on same tires, fuel and logistics as cup.
However the transmission in the Cup does cost more per rebuild then a 996 Cup tranny in a street car converted to race....

The Cup does tip the scales in operating but gets it back in seconds on the track.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Because Mezger...

Well, that is not entirely true...

The Mezger when timed out can be torn down and rebuilt over and over again.
The DFI when timed out is replaced not rebuilt.

The replacement cost of the Mezger is high whereas the DFI replacement cost is resonable.

The DFI has shown to be quite dependable. However it is still too soon to know for sure which is partly why some gear heads are looking for 2007-2009 turbos instead of the the 2010-2013 turbos...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread