Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Back on topic, it's interesting that the load ratings on the previous RS tires were not increased over the GT3 to cope with the extra aero. This car's jump of 20% in tire load ratings seems to confirm some rumors we've heard previously- that it's going to produce lots of downforce, perhaps up in Viper ACR territory. That car likely dropped over 10 seconds on the 'Ring due to aero (the 2010 model's best of 7:12 is still impressive). If this is similar downforce, while tire grip and power are up... I'd think lap times will be surprising as a result, a much bigger gap than previous RSs. I wouldn't be surprised if they intend take a serious run at the GT-R's time, currently sitting on a best of 7:08...

Originally Posted by Macca
PeteV.... Thanks for your insight here....always interesting to anticipate Porsches next move aye!
Absolutely, thanks, and always...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99
If the GT3 RS tires are the same size as the 918, maybe Porsche will offer the magnesium wheels that are available. Of coarse, at $32,500 (cost on 918) that would make for an expensive option. All the option prices on the 918 seem to be inflated so maybe they will offer them at a more reasonable cost on the RS. PCCBs and magnesium wheels would be a nice combo. Wishful thinking maybe.
I was thinking the same thing. Better yet, maybe they have taken the GT3's wheel design and secretly forged those in Magnesium. The spy photos of the RS have been shown with 'flat' black rims...maybe it's more than a color/finish option.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Back on topic, it's interesting that the load ratings on the previous RS tires were not increased over the GT3 to cope with the extra aero. This car's jump of 20% in tire load ratings seems to confirm some rumors we've heard previously- that it's going to produce lots of downforce, perhaps up in Viper ACR territory. That car likely dropped over 10 seconds on the 'Ring due to aero (the 2010 model's best of 7:12 is still impressive). If this is similar downforce, while tire grip and power are up... I'd think lap times will be surprising as a result, a much bigger gap than previous RSs. I wouldn't be surprised if they intend take a serious run at the GT-R's time, currently sitting on a best of 7:08...
Intriguing isn't it! PAG need to come back fighting on the GT3 so your predictions could well come true. AP talked earlier on of the GT3RS being "far more extreme" and by this it was suggested in composition and asthetics/design rather than by way of increased HP. I think what we are seeing is the realisation of this statement. Its almost certain the GT3RS will not be significantly (if any) lighter than the 991 GT3. The BHP/torque bump will be relatively modest (40bhp on paper?) and the wider body will mean its unlikely the top speed will be improved more than a niminal few kmph for marketing purposes. Given the 991 GT3 chassis is already very well accomplished with reduced understeer, more grip and RWS then aero+grip could well point the direction to how PAG will eek out some meanigful top line performance figures for this car - especially the numbers the marketing department so want to talk about...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

I just want to bully the GT-R's even on the laps when they aren't overheated yet.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gearing will have nothing to do with the tire OD change- it's easy to adjust ratios to get whatever speed in gears you'd want.

The change to 21s is going to be driven primarily by grip. It's not an accident that as cars get more powerful the tire diameter tends to go up. Think drag racers, funny car, top fuel, even F1 for some extreme examples. Part of the reason is to extend the length of the contact patch, which does improve grip, particularly at speed, where friction usually drops off.

The best tire models include speed, because rubber's friction is also a function of how long it's in contact with the road. This is because it's a viscoelastic material, meaning "flows" into the roughness of the road to grip, and as speed increases it has less time in contact with the road to flow. By increasing the OD of the tire you increase the length of the contact patch, thereby increasing the time the rubber has to flow. A long contact patch also reduces the slip angle a tire operates at, increasing the tires responsiveness in the process.

Porsche themselves have used progressively larger diameter rear tires- the RSRs, for example, for half a decade used a tire over an inch taller than the Cups to increase grip. Unfortunately in motorsports wheel diameter has been frozen at 18" for nearly two decades to limit costs, so an increase in sidewall height was required to get this larger OD, slowing the rear tire's response. This leads to a number of undesirable traits that must be countered, including slower turn-in and both transient and steady state oversteer. It would be far better to run a short sidewall and get quicker response.

Porsche seemed to prove this by winning Le Mans with 20" wheels before they were banned, but they aren't banned on the street, so as power and grip climb to ex-Le Mans levels it's no surprise we're seeing larger wheels. It is heavier and more expensive, the large, low profile tires requiring more segments in the multi-piece tire molds, costing more to make. However on a high power car that both needs the grip and has the horsepower to spin big wheels you should see better overall performance for those penalties.

Two other things caught my eye looking at those tires:

First, the Q2 2014 estimated launch date. Seems to suggest we were originally supposed to have GT3 RSs on the road already, as I think we already know.

Second, the tire load ratings: 108 rear, or 2205 lbs, and 99 front. Much higher load ratings than the other cars, and with tires higher is not better. In fact all else being equal you generally want to use the lowest load rating you can- they increased load rating for a reason.

The load rating is up is up 221 lbs vs the 918's identically sized rears, 276 lbs from the GT3.

The front load rating is up as well: an increase of 353 lbs from the GT3, and 188 lbs from the 918. In fact the RS's fronts now have nearly as much load rating as the GT3's rears!

Unless you think RS is getting lead bumpers, this seems to point to only one thing: a huge amount of downforce at speed. Back of the napkin, between 500 and 600 lbs more than the GT3 at Vmax.

That'll help those 'ring times...
This is so informative and makes sense. As usual, very well written. Thanks for a very informative post.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing you didn't bring up F1 Pete, because they use 13" wheels.

F1 cars don't handle for beans, so I guess showing a dragster is more relative for a road racing conversation?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
This is so informative and makes sense. As usual, very well written. Thanks for a very informative post.
I'm here to balance out the thread...
Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, thanks, and always...
And the Vipers ran big fat 18" tires. :icon107
Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm here to balance out the thread...
Hey, I'm loving it...
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Good thing you didn't bring up F1 Pete, because they use 13" wheels.

F1 cars don't handle for beans, so I guess showing a dragster is more relative for a road racing conversation?
Again purely rules, been that way for decades. You saw what they tested last week?

Extrapolating based on things done for compliance rather than performance will lead you to incorrect conclusions. Look towards competition without limits (Le Mans before the 18" limit, hypercars, etc) to see where unconstrained development actually leads.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
TrackFan
Banned

You're right. Big wheels are the future.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Again purely rules, been that way for decades. You saw what they tested last week?

Extrapolating based on things done for compliance rather than performance will lead you to incorrect conclusions.

Yup! Those are 18". I know about the change they're talking about.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Yup! Those are 18". I know about the change they're talking about.
Yep, on a 1400 lb car. Must mean they are also ideal for a 3400 lb car, right?

Or perhaps they are simply going to do whatever the rules makers tell them to...
Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Yep, on a 1400 lb car. Must mean they are also ideal for a 3400 lb car, right?

Or perhaps they are simply going to do whatever the rules makers tell them to...
It seems to work ok on the Cup cars.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread