Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its a possibility but given the price of those wheel options on the 918 youd probably need a lazy 20G to buy them!

If you look at the chart I posted youll find the 991 GT3RS factory tyre fitment in those sizes is 10lb heavier alone than the stock GT3. Then add the extra weight of a 21" rear wheel x 2 and Im sure you will talking close to 18lbs. The PCCB on the GT3 is about the same weight as the steelies due to the larger thickness and diameter of the ceramic discs so no real benefits there. +18lbs of un sprung weight is probably no big deal to handling but along with a heavier body shell you can see small stuff like this adds up and it will need a very big effort indeed to get this car to the sub 1400kg published weight it ideally should be (given differences with previous gen RS cars)....

A set of tyres for the 991 GT3 will be $2500 USD plus shipping according to their site - around $360 USD a set more than the 991 GT3 factory sizes and over $500 USD more than most "other brand" R comps should run to when sizes are available....

By was of comparison the correct size fitment Michelin Super Sport tyres cost $1400 USD a set.....Im going to be running these after the MPSC2 on my car are finished to see what the overall time difference is at my local track. Im betting less than 2 seconds on a 2 mile track with much better wet track/road performance and 30%+ longer tyre life in mixed usage so for a saving of almost $800 USD a set given a mixed usage if only 1-2s in it I will save the money and go with the non N rated MPSS and bank the difference!
Couldn't agree more that the RS operating costs sound like they could be astronomical, probably f-car league, especially if tracked heavily. Ironic, given that philosophically the RS is diverging towards a track-purposed car and away from the GT3 so much more this iteration. Looks like they're upping the exclusivity and making the RS a car fewer track enthusiasts can enjoy. Certainly out of my budget range and truthfully not what I'm looking for, making me happier that I went with the GT3!! Even on the GT3, the price of many basic options (brakes, garage door opener!, paint) adds up to way more than I'd previously imagined paying.

As for MPSS tires, I'd love to hear your thoughts once you swap, since that is the direction I'd like to go too. In fact, seeing as I'll be receiving my GT3 in the winter (mostly rain here, vs snow), I may even want to start on MPSS's and leave the MPSC2 for the warmer weather.

BTW, off topic, I know, but has anyone seen a Dunlop tire on a GT3 yet?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the Dunlop Maxx thing on the GT3 was a enigma. They never have surfaced on any 991 GT3 fitted from factory anywhere in the world I have seen. I wonder what happened. Either the tyre wasnt as good as they thought or more likely Dunlop wouldnt drop their pants as far as PAG asked them too?

I agree. I think the 991 GT3RS target market is the Ferrari 458 SP. The GT3RS will be priced cheaper but IMO will be the quicker and more suitable rack tool. The track day running costs however on this generation RS will be far closer to Ferrari $$$ than previous generations. The 991 GT3 is already one step up but the RS will be a magnitude more I suspect in both brake/tyre/wheel terms. I just love the 459SP and would have one in a heart beat but like many here its not in my pay grade - and more specifically running it with a 50/50 road/track mix isnt in my pay grade either (its expensive enough tracking an old 993, now theres the new GT3 - my wife will be buying more shoes!).
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 AM
<3mph
Drifting

...now theres the new GT3 - my wife will be buying more shoes!).
My wife is cut from the same cloth!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike.

Here is the data from tirerack on the two tyres.

The new 991 GT3 has a reasonable increase in front contact patch with the 265 over the 245 at the front. So along with the slightly wider track we can expect reduced understeer and more front end grip. But you will notice the front rolling radius is quite a lot more than the 245. I have done something similar on the 993 for track use (235/245 fronts).

Now look at the rear. the rolling radius is larger too. The tyre contact patch is considerably wider at 1.1" over the 305/20 tyre!

How ever the revs per mile have fallen dramatically (almost 10%!) and are totally out of alignemnet withthe front tyres (not an issue as such).

When you increase the rolling of the drive wheel on a car you effectively make its gearing higher. This is how they will pull out the 1 mile per hour increased top speed. I dont believe its much to do with grip. The track is already increased. The rear engine configuration already provides in a 911 more grip in a straight line than you need! If the car was packing 800 bhp I could see the advantage iut not at circa 500.

So the front tyre is wider for more grip and less understeer but the rear is only slightly more contact patch for higher gearing (often not so good on track but good for Vmax runs)

The fact is you can order 265+325 on 20 combo right now as they will fit fine on the 991 Gt3 9+12J rims and benefit from some of this same theory.

It will be interesting if the car looks visually odd for the larger front wheels. Chances are the 21" rear rims will hide this. You could notice it with my 993 if you were fussy - but it doesn't affect dynamics. However increasing rear rolling radius does make a noticeable difference to the on track gearing has I have learned and smaller rolling radius wheels are generally accepted to be "faster"....so....

Heres my prediction - they will shorten the ratios in the box and make a big plus point from this (when actual fact uit will just be accommodating the lower rev per mile effect of the larger diameter rear rolling radius hardware!).

P.S. Im not an engineer!
Macca, it does seem counter-intuitive but the Road&Track article I linked to above says the following. BTW, this isn't the first time I've read this....

" Merely increasing the width of a tire doesn’t increase the area touching the pavement. It just makes it a wider, shorter patch."

If correct, then moving from a 245 to 265 tire, or from a 305 to 325, gives a wider contact patch but overall doesn't put more tire in contact with the pavement. I suspect that's one reason why (among others), over the years tire diameters continue to increase as chassis engineers search for ways to put more rubber in contact with the road.

I'm not a chassis engineer either so maybe someone else can shed more light generally on this subject.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by <3mph
My wife is cut from the same cloth!
there were two factories operating at the time. Adam factory and Eve Factory! .....there were also some manufacturing defects, a few broken in transit, a couple lost and a number stolen, some go left out in the sun too long and some exceeded their shelf line....but they all bloody well like shoes!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Macca, it does seem counter-intuitive but the Road&Track article I linked to above says the following. BTW, this isn't the first time I've read this....

" Merely increasing the width of a tire doesn’t increase the area touching the pavement. It just makes it a wider, shorter patch."

If correct, then moving from a 245 to 265 tire, or from a 305 to 325, gives a wider contact patch but overall doesn't put more tire in contact with the pavement. I suspect that's one reason why (among others), over the years tire diameters continue to increase as chassis engineers search for ways to put more rubber in contact with the road.

I'm not a chassis engineer either so maybe someone else can shed more light generally on this subject.
Hi Mike, I'm no engineer either (more like plumbing for me).
But as I read it, the article is speaking of increasing width but maintaining constant overall tire diameter.
In the GT3 vs RS comparison, the overall tire diameter is not constant, but is also increased (for the RS) in addition to the width.

Background:
Increased diameter does indeed increase contact patch area (as the article stated). Tire diameter increases since the absolute sidewall height increases as section width increases (245--265) given a constant profile (35), for the front tires for example. Recall:

Sidewall height=width*profile.

Tire diameter=(sidewall height*2) + wheel diameter. (Where wheel diameter on the front is constant at 20". On the rear the increase in overall tire diameter is even greater since the wheel diameter also goes up from 20 to 21".)

Therefore, the article is speaking about a different theoretical situation than the comparison of the following two tire dimensions.

GT3:
Front - 245/35ZR20
Rear - 305/30ZR20

GT3 RS:
Front - 265/35ZR20
Rear - 325/30ZR21

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7 has some illustrations which helped me.

My apologies if I misread your post and I answered a different question than you were asking with things you already knew!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Hi Mike, I'm no engineer either (more like plumbing for me).
But as I read it, the article is speaking of increasing width but maintaining constant overall tire diameter.
In the GT3 vs RS comparison, the overall tire diameter is not constant, but is also increased (for the RS) in addition to the width.

Background:
Increased diameter does indeed increase contact patch area (as the article stated). Tire diameter increases since the absolute sidewall height increases as section width increases (245--265) given a constant profile (35), for the front tires for example. Recall:

Sidewall height=width*profile.

Tire diameter=(sidewall height*2) + wheel diameter. (Where wheel diameter on the front is constant at 20". On the rear the increase in overall tire diameter is even greater since the wheel diameter also goes up from 20 to 21".)

Therefore, the article is speaking about a different theoretical situation than the comparison of the following two tire dimensions.

GT3:
Front - 245/35ZR20
Rear - 305/30ZR20

GT3 RS:
Front - 265/35ZR20
Rear - 325/30ZR21

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7 has some illustrations which helped me.

My apologies if I misread your post and I answered a different question than you were asking with things you already knew!
Hi <3mph, informative post, and no apologies necessary. We're all learning here, at least I'm trying to!

Clearly this whole subject is complicated and nuanced. Macca originally brought up the issue of what possible reason Porsche could have for going to a 21" rear wheel/tire combination over the 20" wheels on the 991 GT3, which are in turn an increase over the 19's on the 997 GT3. The suggestion I was trying to make was that, along with other factors, one important part of the equation for getting more rubber in contact with the road while maintaining or decreasing tire profile, seems to be to go to larger diameter wheels.

Porsche, along with other manufacturers, apparently feels the trade offs of added weight and expense are worth it and that the benefits are real. I'm having trouble believing that the development team decided to put 21's on the rear of the new RS just because they thought they would look better! Whether it's worth it to the owner who drives the car on the street or track, and ends up with reduced and/or very expensive choices in replacement tires, is another matter entirely.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-29-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Mike, aha, I understand your point! And it makes perfect sense to me now. The chart Macca posted clearly confirms what you say: the increase in width from 325 to 345 mm (with constant 20" rear wheel) would only increase diameter from 27.2" to 27.7"; whereas going to a 345 mm width 21" wheel increases the tire diameter by another inch to 28.7--and a much bigger gain in contact patch too presumably.

Agreed, the fact that they put these tires and wheels on the 918 seems to suggest a significant enough benefit is obtained (beyond looks, which I actually think look pretty hot on the 918). I consider that car to be a bit of a no-expense-spared exercise, and so evidently the trickle down of technology to other "lesser" models does not appear to come cheap either. That's why the Macan costs more than a comparable CUV--it's the 918 look-alike steering wheel!!!

As a newbie, I'm more than happy to learn from you--thanks for your posts!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike. I think you have nailed it. It must be the size of teh fornt and rear contact patch from an engineering point of view followed by a high top speed whilst utilising a lower gear set (i.e. the increased diameter allows lower gears to be used for track work without decreasing the overall Vmax of the car).

I believe those are the two benefits of the RS wheel choice and I guess we will kow for certain shortly!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
I don't see this as a good track car compared to the 997.2

tires selection is going to be a challenge.

can't wait to be proven wrong

I hope I can save me from myself.

Last RS was beautiful then the track bug hit.....

Hope I can keep this one off of the track
Straight to the track it goes when you get tired of all that racing hassle and hard work :-) Just buy tires even at $1000.00 a tire this is cheaper than arrive and drive full service Boxter racing....

Originally Posted by Nizer
Load rating has nothing to do with performance. it relates to the load carrying capacity of each individual tire.

What's interesting is that the 918 Spyder is likely to end up being 500-600lbs heavier than the upcoming RS yet is spec'd with a lower load rating tire.
Weird?!

^^^ my guess is the 918 tyres were designed long ago and Michelin have come up with a newer more load capable design in the passing years. Just a hunch.
How do you explain that to the 918 guy that just wrote a $1,000,000.00 check?

I think the Dunlop Maxx thing on the GT3 was a enigma. They never have surfaced on any 991 GT3 fitted from factory anywhere in the world I have seen. I wonder what happened. Either the tyre wasnt as good as they thought or more likely Dunlop wouldnt drop their pants as far as PAG asked them too?

I agree. I think the 991 GT3RS target market is the Ferrari 458 SP. The GT3RS will be priced cheaper but IMO will be the quicker and more suitable rack tool. The track day running costs however on this generation RS will be far closer to Ferrari $$$ than previous generations. The 991 GT3 is already one step up but the RS will be a magnitude more I suspect in both brake/tyre/wheel terms. I just love the 459SP and would have one in a heart beat but like many here its not in my pay grade - and more specifically running it with a 50/50 road/track mix isnt in my pay grade either (its expensive enough tracking an old 993, now theres the new GT3 - my wife will be buying more shoes!).
So I can get a Fiat 458 driving experience without have to be seen in one and it costs and breaks down less? That's not all bad for many people.

Mike. I think you have nailed it. It must be the size of teh fornt and rear contact patch from an engineering point of view followed by a high top speed whilst utilising a lower gear set (i.e. the increased diameter allows lower gears to be used for track work without decreasing the overall Vmax of the car).

I believe those are the two benefits of the RS wheel choice and I guess we will kow for certain shortly!
With enough power more bigger = more better? Maybe all the RS is, is sexier big butt (I Like, I cant lie), non poser seats, lighter, re-geared, more down force, more power? If it out laps a 458 what may it cost?

I think they should give me one for free, but I can see some value here

I should be going to Paris in October
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 21" rear tire is stupid for the RS. I'm not sure what Porsche is thinking? I don't even like 20", or even 19" now that I think about it.

Race cars use 18" tires. Look at the Cup car. Is it slow in the turns?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think they should give me one for free, but I can see some value here
U be Sebring test dummy - makes total sense. Enough of this cushy Ring stuff; time to see if it really holds together
Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Test dumbass. Got it.
I give it 30 track days, so 2 months after it arrives from ED after the summer.
First stop Manthey?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm having trouble believing that the development team decided to put 21's on the rear of the new RS just because they thought they would look better!
Normally I would agree with that, then I think about the centerlocks on the GT3's.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Gearing will have nothing to do with the tire OD change- it's easy to adjust ratios to get whatever speed in gears you'd want.

The change to 21s is going to be driven primarily by grip. It's not an accident that as cars get more powerful the tire diameter tends to go up. Think drag racers, funny car, top fuel, even F1 for some extreme examples. Part of the reason is to extend the length of the contact patch, which does improve grip, particularly at speed, where friction usually drops off.

The best tire models include speed, because rubber's friction is also a function of how long it's in contact with the road. This is because it's a viscoelastic material, meaning "flows" into the roughness of the road to grip, and as speed increases it has less time in contact with the road to flow. By increasing the OD of the tire you increase the length of the contact patch, thereby increasing the time the rubber has to flow. A long contact patch also reduces the slip angle a tire operates at, increasing the tires responsiveness in the process.

Porsche themselves have used progressively larger diameter rear tires- the RSRs, for example, for half a decade used a tire over an inch taller than the Cups to increase grip. Unfortunately in motorsports wheel diameter has been frozen at 18" for nearly two decades to limit costs, so an increase in sidewall height was required to get this larger OD, slowing the rear tire's response. This leads to a number of undesirable traits that must be countered, including slower turn-in and both transient and steady state oversteer. It would be far better to run a short sidewall and get quicker response.

Porsche seemed to prove this by winning Le Mans with 20" wheels before they were banned, but they aren't banned on the street, so as power and grip climb to ex-Le Mans levels it's no surprise we're seeing larger wheels. It is heavier and more expensive, the large, low profile tires requiring more segments in the multi-piece tire molds, costing more to make. However on a high power car that both needs the grip and has the horsepower to spin big wheels you should see better overall performance for those penalties.

Two other things caught my eye looking at those tires:

First, the Q2 2014 estimated launch date. Seems to suggest we were originally supposed to have GT3 RSs on the road already, as I think we already know.

Second, the tire load ratings: 108 rear, or 2205 lbs, and 99 front. Much higher load ratings than the other cars, and with tires higher is not better. In fact all else being equal you generally want to use the lowest load rating you can- they increased load rating for a reason.

The load rating is up is up 221 lbs vs the 918's identically sized rears, 276 lbs from the GT3.

The front load rating is up as well: an increase of 353 lbs from the GT3, and 188 lbs from the 918. In fact the RS's fronts now have nearly as much load rating as the GT3's rears!

Unless you think RS is getting lead bumpers, this seems to point to only one thing: a huge amount of downforce at speed. Back of the napkin, between 500 and 600 lbs more than the GT3 at Vmax.

That'll help those 'ring times...

Last edited by Petevb; 07-29-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread