TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Maybe it is all over..http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ext-911-gt3-rs
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Al is based on a single post on Autocar , so I would not despair yet. Maybe true, but far from a fact.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:39 AM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bullsh*t, bullsh*t, bullsh*t

The GT3 RS is fully developed, ready for sale, and no freakin' turbocharger.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1

thank you

its a brand new engine and everyone is so quick to believe some bs rumour that the engineers can't get anything out of it

ffs the mezger 4.0 was good for 500.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hzoenvy33
Bullsh*t, bullsh*t, bullsh*t

The GT3 RS is fully developed, ready for sale, and no freakin' turbocharger.
exactly.

there may be some tweaking going on, but it's basically a done deal.

turbo RS down the road, maybe... it's not happening this round.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:38 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
^ +1

thank you

its a brand new engine and everyone is so quick to believe some bs rumour that the engineers can't get anything out of it

ffs the mezger 4.0 was good for 500.
agreed.

and, as iconic a car it is, and it IS... a large percentage of them ate their lunch and needed new engines. This after how many decades of R&D. geez... i'll give the 991 some breathing room.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
agreed. and, as iconic a car it is, and it IS... a large percentage of them ate their lunch and needed new engines. This after how many decades of R&D. geez... i'll give the 991 some breathing room.
+1

People conveniently forget the issues of the previous gen, including the 4.0.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't get angry at me but it could be very true. All the major European exotic and high end car makers are going with turbocharging to make big power while increasing reliability and fuel economy. At Fabspeed we are seeing everything starting to change over to twin turbos as we design and manufacture exhaust systems and get all these cars into the shop for development.

The worst part is that OEM car makers see the other big hitters switching to advanced turbocharged cars as they get major power and fuel economy and reliability and then the small auto manufactures switch over.

Mercedes started it all AMG cars are all twin turbos that really rip. The little CLA 2liter makes 365 stock and 430 with a tune and exhaust crazy power on pump gas. AMG 5.5 twin turbo engines make big power and sound great. Sport cats and a flash tune another 100 to 150hp on pump gas with decent mileage.

BMW twin turbo engines are everywhere and M5 is a rocket . We have had several of these beasts. BMW and Mercedes have a personal autobahn power struggle for supremacy.

Bentley twin turbos everything new audi 4.0liter V8 over 540hp stock lighter better mileage
Of course audi will install this across the product line. Likely into Lamborghini cars at some point

Maserati switched over cars to twin turbo engines. Maserati engines are built by Ferrari which is owned by fiat. at Fabspeed we recently has both the quattroprte and ghibli in and made sports race cats and exhaust. Cars are rockets .

McLaren automotive everything is twin turbo and the same engine is tweaked and installed in P1 and mclaren mentions a cheaper affordable version of the MP4-12c . Fabspeed has had many of these cars into the shop for builds. It's super easy to get major power reliably.

Ferrari has started the switch over to high output twin turbo engines. The new California T is a twin turbo V8 that makes close to 600hp on California pump gasoline. The Ferrari chat guys are just like Porsche guys as they are panicking that the V8 Ferrari 458 Italia is going to be twin turbo charged and all the magical sports car sound will disappear.

I think more cars will switch to turbos as it is inevitable. For example the Ferrari 458 Italia has a 4.5 liter V8, with flat crank, titanium rods, DLC coatings on many parts to reduce friction, lightweight internals and super advanced cam timing and tuning and 12.5:1 static compression ratio for California pump gasoline and the 458 makes 570HP. The 458 Specialie has 14:1 CR with other F1 engine tweaks and makes 605 HP on lousy pump gas!

It's crazy all that power on a small V8 super high compression, multiple variable camshaft timing, F1 internal engine polishing, lightening, windage internal tricks, variable speed oil pumps, and etc. I have Ferrari specialie sales book in my hands in written both in Italian and English with CAD Catia models showing everything. It's Nutz.

Next even Chevrolet and Ford are supercharging their base engines to way over 600HP in the corvettes, camaros and mustangs.

Given all that. I can see Porsche executive planners saying we can't get much more power out of a 911 normally aspirated engine and especially the high strung GT3 engines. The Ferrari drive train engineering team must be having these same conversations. Then as Porsche and Ferrari see Mercedes, BMW, McLaren and Audi switching over to advanced turbo engines on high end sportscars.........Porsche and Ferrari have to make a move in that logical direction.

Porsche is already slated to twin turbo the Boxster cayman cars.

I personally think Porsche can stroke the 991 GT3 get 4.0 liters easily make over 525hp and stay normally aspirated on pump gas and keep us all very happy.

But maybe the debacle on the failed 991GT3 engines in conjunction with many problems with regular GT3 engines and the potential for problems and or timing out on high strung engines in general can force anyone to logically consider advanced turbocharging.

For professional racing purposes if new corvette, BMW, Mercedes, mclaren , and other cars show up with factory homologated turbocharged engines........Porsche and Ferrari could get their asses kicked and can't continually beg for restrictions or weight penalties to level the playing field.

Or perhaps Porsche and Ferrari will make advanced turbocharged engines and it will be a horsepower war all over again and we could all benefit. Don't hate turbocharging........I have owned and driven many Porsche turbo cars over the years from 955tt, 996tt, 997TT., Gt2RS ........my favorite is my 1987 930 factory slantnose with 430hp........it's ignorant but a lot of fun and I kept her.......drove it to long beach island New Jersey with a Fabspeed IMSA style 934 ZORK tube grinning all the way passing knuckleheads in politically econo boxes shooting 2 foot flames on over run.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
People conveniently forget the issues of the previous gen, including the 4.0.
You think? Where is Chris (911rox)? Let's wake him up in Australia!

In the meantime, here is a short list of the well-known 'issues':

a) Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure
b) Center Lock Wheels problems
c) RMS leaks
d) FMS leaks
d) LSD wear
e) Shifter Cable (wear)
f) Clutch sensor switch (needed replacement)
Plus some blown engines.

Still, a hell of a sport car!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
You think? Where is Chris (911rox)? Let's wake him up in Australia! In the meantime, here is a short list of the well-known 'issues': a) Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure b) Center Lock Wheels problems c) RMS leaks d) FMS leaks d) LSD wear e) Shifter Cable (wear) f) Clutch sensor switch (needed replacement) Plus some blown engines. Still, a hell of a sport car! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
Eduardo--I agree with you, that many have known the issues and pain firsthand!

My point is that there are folks on this board (some trolls, naturally), who do nothing but bash the 991 GT3, while placing the 997 versions on the proverbial pedestal.

Certainly, many folks have been even handed in their opinions. My comment pertains more to those who have enjoyed piling on the 991 GT3 during this fiasco--and, yes, it has been a fiasco!

- Tim
Old 05-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Last NA engine GT in limited numbers (possibly only two model years and shortened ones at that) and a fantastically well reviewed car - that's a pretty good basis for a collector car, don't you agree?

Your point is well taken on the reliability and pedigree issues, but those may be dealt with and become non-issues when we look back on these cars in the future.

I personally have faith that the engine fix will be durable although I can understand the skepticism at the moment.

I'm less certain about the future of the 9A1 in racing applications, because I think it depends a lot on the sanctioning bodies, i.e., the FIA and ACOE, etc, deciding what the GT regs for 2016-on will be - I get the sense Porsche is hanging on with the Mezger to see which way that goes.
I'd rather a turbo engine (or hybrid) that shares significant commonality with a race-proven engine than a high-revving NA engine that has absolutely zero motorsports credibility whatsoever.

I think the continued use of the Mezger in motorsport evidences (1) the aforementioned frailty of the 9A1 block for top end motorsports and (2) Porsche's unwillingness to dedicate resources to developing an all-new engine given the long-term uncertainty of the rules.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Joe. One of the most enjoyable posts I've read for a long time! When you present it like that it seems inevitable we will be getting snails with all our pork in the future!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Joe. One of the most enjoyable posts I've read for a long time! When you present it like that it seems inevitable we will be getting snails with all our pork in the future!
+1 hold onto your Mezgers gents!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Until the GT turbo comes with electric torque fill, I'm out. Long live NA
Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

We will see how long the Mezger owners hold onto their cars after they start getting passed by the 991GT3 on the track lots of big egos here

Peter

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread