Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:36 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Cage, buckets, exhaust, extra wheels, brand new daily driver, lavish European vacation, etc.
Haha. No offense, but if you think you'll have that much spare change from the price delta, I would be frightened to be behind the wheel of that daily driver and I would fear for your life at whatever lodging establishment you select for that EU vacay!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Haha. No offense, but if you think you'll have that much spare change from the price delta, I would be frightened to be behind the wheel of that daily driver and I would fear for your life at whatever lodging establishment you select for that EU vacay!
No, I don't honestly believe that. I exaggerated to empasize my point that the 991 GT3 will depreciate like most other $100k+ sports cars, whereas the 997 GT3 variants will continue appreciating. I am honestly confident that prices will converge in the next 2-3 years, at least with respect to 997.2 cars.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:55 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I don't honestly believe that. I exaggerated to empasize my point that the 991 GT3 will depreciate like most other $100k+ sports cars, whereas the 997 GT3 variants will continue appreciating. I am honestly confident that prices will converge in the next 2-3 years, at least with respect to 997.2 cars.
Yes, I picked up on that.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:13 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Haha, Tim! +1
Old 05-30-2014, 01:25 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Turbo makes perfect sense and would be my choice and prediction for Porsche’s new GT Model
for the following reasons:
1. The Torque of Porsche’s 3.8 Liter engine maxes out at 325 Ft. Lbs for GT3 and C2S.
2. Additional N/A Engine HP can come only by increasing RPM or displacement.
3. Rotational Stresses increase hugely at RPM compromising reliability.
4. Both 991 GT3 and 997 GT3RS 4.0. Engines have required numerous replacements.
5. The 911 Design makes larger displacement Engines over 4L problematic.
6. Porsche has more experience with Turbocharging than any other car company.
7. The 4WD TT and TTS already make more Torque than competitors 3.8 L Engines
8. The 2011 997 GT2RS makes 620 HP so a 2015 TTS Engine could easily make 650 HP
9. The higher Fuel Efficiency of Turbocharged engines is required to avoid “Gas-Guzzler” Taxes.
10. “Spy Photos” of the new GT models being tested already have rear fender Turbo-like inlets.

If a 650 HP TTS Engine in a 991 GT3RS (or GT2) does not raise your pulse rate, IMHO you must
have a very severe adrenaline deficiency.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Haha, Tim! +1
Indeed +2

Given that this is speculation (predicted depreciation) based on speculation (991 GT3 being an "odd duck") we've reached a pretty lofty level of absurdity.

Whether I agree with the idea that the 991 GT3 will depreciate unusually quickly or not (I don't), is irrelevant. I don't buy cars like I do investments, I drive them to enjoy them. The enjoyment level of the 991 GT3 is off the charts, as anyone who has spent any time with the car would know. As I've said before, how much I get for my car when I sell it is the last thing I'm thinking about right now. Others can speculate about that...
Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE][Whether I agree with the idea that the 991 GT3 will depreciate unusually quickly or not (I don't), is irrelevant. I don't buy cars like I do investments, I drive them to enjoy them. The enjoyment level of the 991 GT3 is off the charts, as anyone who has spent any time with the car would know. As I've said before, how much I get for my car when I sell it is the last thing I'm thinking about right now. Others can speculate about that...
__________________QUOTE]

Agree completely with that view. Of course, its nice if depreciation is moderate, but its about the experience of driving a car, not the ROI.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Turbo makes perfect sense and would be my choice and prediction for Porsche’s new GT Model
for the following reasons:
1. The Torque of Porsche’s 3.8 Liter engine maxes out at 325 Ft. Lbs for GT3 and C2S.
2. Additional N/A Engine HP can come only by increasing RPM or displacement.
4. Both 991 GT3 and 997 GT3RS 4.0. Engines have required numerous replacements.
5. The 911 Design makes larger displacement Engines over 4L problematic.
6. Porsche has more experience with Turbocharging than any other car company.
7. The 4WD TT and TTS already make more Torque than competitors 3.8 L Engines
8. The 2011 997 GT2RS makes 620 HP so a 2015 TTS Engine could easily make 650 HP
9. The higher Fuel Efficiency of Turbocharged engines is required to avoid “Gas-Guzzler” Taxes.
10. “Spy Photos” of the new GT models being tested already have rear fender Turbo-like inlets.

If a 650 HP TTS Engine in a 991 GT3RS (or GT2) does not raise your pulse rate, IMHO you must
have a very severe adrenaline deficiency.
I agree completely but I don't think turbo charging will hit the 991 GT3RS. To make any sense, both GT3 cars should be the same, ie both NA or both TC. So for the next car (?992), I strongly suspect the GT3 (and RS) will become TC but for the 991 RS, I am betting NA.

Also, the spy videos we saw sounded NA.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Turbo makes perfect sense and would be my choice
I'd say you'd looking for a new GT2. However many feel it lacks the precision and involvement of the GT3/ RS, meaning there's plenty of room for both models in the lineup. As for a couple of your points:
Torque is a double edged sword. Not only does it alter the driving experience, but it adds additional weight to the gearbox to handle the stress, etc.
Reliability is not necessarily compromised when correctly designed. There are many examples of high RPM engines that are perfectly reliable (Honda S2000 @9000 rpm, bike engines, etc).

Normally aspirated motors continue to have both better response and higher power to weight ratios than any street turbo motors. Thus for a given power level a normally aspirated RS would have a balance and precision advantage over a turbo. And that, rather than raw speed, is really what the GT3 has been all about, hasn't it?

I understand Porsche has been having trouble getting the power and reliability out of the new motor thus far, and thus I could see turbo being tempting. However a turbo "GT3 RS" would really mean the loss of a GT model, another legend for which there isn't a modern replacement. I'm sure the new model will be great, but that would still be a sad day.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Indeed +2 Given that this is speculation (predicted depreciation) based on speculation (991 GT3 being an "odd duck") we've reached a pretty lofty level of absurdity. Whether I agree with the idea that the 991 GT3 will depreciate unusually quickly or not (I don't), is irrelevant. I don't buy cars like I do investments, I drive them to enjoy them. The enjoyment level of the 991 GT3 is off the charts, as anyone who has spent any time with the car would know. As I've said before, how much I get for my car when I sell it is the last thing I'm thinking about right now. Others can speculate about that...
+1
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before and I will say it again.......until they place a proven racing lump in the GT3/RS, there will be problems for this niche product.

As a 2 time buyer of previous versions, I have no interest whatsoever in a new GT3/RS without a racing derived lump. And I'm not the only one...
Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^ that's why I'm holding off. Got a cayman just for the track season. if they go turbo for gt3rs, then 4.0 prices will seriously skyrocket. No other option really for a street/track car.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:44 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the future for the trackmaniac will be the cayman gtx the rest of gt cars will be in the ferrari range so to make some trackday and for flaunt :money , horse power and technology
Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it'll make the 991 GT3 an odd duck. People will look back and say "Oh yeah, that was the one they made in between the Mezger cars with the race motor and the turbo cars. They got cute with the engine and had to recall all the cars - nightmare."
Last NA engine GT in limited numbers (possibly only two model years and shortened ones at that) and a fantastically well reviewed car - that's a pretty good basis for a collector car, don't you agree?

Your point is well taken on the reliability and pedigree issues, but those may be dealt with and become non-issues when we look back on these cars in the future.

I personally have faith that the engine fix will be durable although I can understand the skepticism at the moment.

I'm less certain about the future of the 9A1 in racing applications, because I think it depends a lot on the sanctioning bodies, i.e., the FIA and ACOE, etc, deciding what the GT regs for 2016-on will be - I get the sense Porsche is hanging on with the Mezger to see which way that goes.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

From a branding perspective I just cannot see the 991RS as anything other than N/A

(1) It is normally a superset of the GT3

(2) They do to have to do a gigantic increase in output if they concentrate on weight/aerodynamics for performance

(3) If they do go turbo it is tantamount to saying that the n/a engine in the GT3 is close to the edge of its performance envelope, a pretty damning statement for a new engine.

(4) It makes for an unclear product with too much crossover to the Turbo and GT2.

If you think of the 3.8 GT3 and RS the power differences were actually quite modest, so a similar differential does not sons heroic to me.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread