Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
From
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...and-new-engine

The eagerly anticipated Porsche 911 GT3 RS will get a brand-new, naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine according to company bosses, with the unit eventually working its way into other models within the wider Porsche range.

Details are scarce, but during an interview at the 2015 Detroit Motor Show, Porsche R&D boss Wolfgang Hatz confirmed a completely new engine for the upcoming GT3 RS. There had been rumours of turbocharging within the 911 range – but Hatz insisted that would be reserved for lesser models, and only when the 991 variant gets an overhaul later this year.

He also told us that the RS will be PDK-only to begin with, but that a manual hasn’t been ruled out in the long term. The dual-clutch automatic gearbox is the only option on Porsche’s standard GT3, but changes gear in a matter of milliseconds.

Defending this decision, he said: “I have customers who said, ‘now we understand.’ PDK proved a lot of people wrong.”

Hatz also commented on how he wanted to create more distinction for the 911 GT3 RS. He hinted that the GT3 RS will be a bigger step up than before, with more separation from the standard GT3 than we saw on the previous-generation 997 versions.

Porsche 911 GT3 RS spies rear side
“Performance has to be the main objective. Customers love the current GT3. The RS has to be the peak. The 991 GT3 was very much a surprise for everybody because it’s a very useable car for every day. The GT3 RS will be more extreme,” he said.

There will be more changes to the body and more changes to the car’s aero in an attempt to shave even more time off the GT3’s already impressive 7 minute 25 second Nurburgring lap time. Hatz couldn’t go into what those changes might be, but we can expect a more sculpted exterior, with a lower ride height and an even bigger fixed wing.

In other news, Hatz confirmed a new Cayman variant – likely the track-focused GT4 – for release in the spring. As a result it’s safe to predict a Geneva Motor Show debut in March.

He said this too would be a step up from the previous flagship model, saying: “We’ve moved it a little bit up [from the Cayman R] – it’s a proper motorsport car.”

The objective for Porsche’s investment in the Cayman GT4 is to create a road car that would be compliant with current regulations in the highly competitive race series. The GT4 European Series currently includes models such as the Aston Martin GT4 Vantage, BMW M3 GT4 and Lotus Evora GT4. If all goes according to plan, we could see the Cayman GT4 appear as soon as next season.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...#ixzz3OnKwvr00
Seems pretty clear this new motor is likely to form the basis for upcoming motorsport offerings, which would get the ethos of the GT3 back on track.

One by one Porsche seems intent on addressing the key criticisms of the new car: lack of transmission choice, failure to take advantage of the inherent weight savings of the 991 tub and 9A1 motor, and lack of motorsport application. Bravo.

The new RS looks set to be a complete beast.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 210 Posts

Wow, very interesting news. I like the idea of some cross pollination between Motorsport and the GT-series again. However, if Porsche doesn't maintain the current 991 GT3 motor in some form, all those 991 customers are going to end up short changed. Maybe that's why they offered the free visit to the Porsche performance center to soften the blow.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

What is "long term" for 600 units worldwide and allocations that seem impossible to nail down without buying a 918 first? What does brand new mean? Redesigned GT3 engine? Completely new design from clean sheet of paper? Does the RS engine superceed the GT3 engine? How is this new engine supposed to find its way into other 911s which are supposed to be turbocharged? Frankly this "interview" raises far more questions, many of which are troubling, than it answers.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

What I take from it is that there will be more than one year production...if they are considering manual 'later', I would think they would never offer a transmission choice in only 600 unit production.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first read "brand new engine" I straight away thought 'brand new from 991 GT3.' It's starting to occur to me that "brand new engine" means 'brand new RS engine, and not a Mezger engine.' Especially that Hatz says that it will filter down into other Porsche cars. It makes sense if it's the 9A1, and not some completely new 3rd engine. Just my .02 fils
Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronan
What I take from it is that there will be more than one year production...if they are considering manual 'later', I would think they would never offer a transmission choice in only 600 unit production.
Apparently the RS is Euro5 compliant but not Euro6 compliant (someone on Rennteam), and Euro6 is mandatory from September 2015. Therefore all RS would have to be built before September, and hence the low number of 600 cars, as per the 4.0... Just a guess.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
When I first read "brand new engine" I straight away thought 'brand new from 991 GT3.' It's starting to occur to me that "brand new engine" means 'brand new RS engine, and not a Mezger engine.' Especially that Hatz says that it will filter down into other Porsche cars. It makes sense if it's the 9A1, and not some completely new 3rd engine. Just my .02 fils
My question may not be shared will all of you but I thought that the 2016 rule changes for the WEC GT cars had not been finalized. This had been the reason why they were waiting on potentially developing a new engine as the homologation basis. It would seem that Porsche was able to to clarify what was going to be allowed.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Seems pretty clear this new motor is likely to form the basis for upcoming motorsport offerings, which would get the ethos of the GT3 back on track.

One by one Porsche seems intent on addressing the key criticisms of the new car: lack of transmission choice, failure to take advantage of the inherent weight savings of the 991 tub and 9A1 motor, and lack of motorsport application. Bravo.

The new RS looks set to be a complete beast.
Bingo.

I think I just heard a gasp from all .1 and .2 RS owners and dealers trying to sell their cars at inflated values based on the hype of "no more manual, no more motorsport engines".

The bubble just burst.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:49 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

The main point here is "new engine". What the hell does this mean. Does it mean no Mezger in the RS and its just a 9A1 4.0? Or is is a completely new bespoke engine completely diff to the 2014-15 Gt3 engine? Why would Porsche waste all the R&D for the GT3 motor only to use it in only one application? Lots of questions.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The eagerly anticipated Porsche 911 GT3 RS will get a brand-new, naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine according to company bosses, with the unit eventually working its way into other models within the wider Porsche range.
This doesn't actually make sense. How can a new RS engine work its way into other models in the wider Porsche range? I can't think of another car in their range where it would be remotely appropriate. Plus the trend for the rest of their cars is capacity and cylinder downsizing and turbocharging.

Note that apparently he said "wider Porsche range", not other 911 models. Is he talking about putting this in a Panamera? Don't think so! Note that this part of the report was not a direct quote unlike most of the other passages so it could be misworded.

One possibility is that it could share an engine with the 960 but recent reports say that's been shelved.

It will be really interesting how the new engine compares to the one in the 991 GT3. If it really is different it could be make or break for GT3 owners, depending on what the differences are!

My bet is the article is misquoted and the RS will be exactly like every other GT3 RS has been. I.e. same engine, same capacity, different intake (visible from spy photos), different (titanium) exhaust (reported from Sweden), only minor power gains. Most of improved lap times down to wider tyres, track, aero, lower ride-height etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 111 Posts

I wouldn't worry to much, they called the engine in the 991 GT3 "completely new" as well, even though it's basis was the 9A1.

Porsche uses a lot of word play these days.........
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
The main point here is "new engine". What the hell does this mean. Does it mean no Mezger in the RS and its just a 9A1 4.0? Or is is a completely new bespoke engine completely diff to the 2014-15 Gt3 engine? Why would Porsche waste all the R&D for the GT3 motor only to use it in only one application? Lots of questions.
To me it's sounds like a completely new engine! Or, lost in translation?????? Not the first time.....
That it will be really extreme and difference itself a lot from the gt3 probably means low option cars means lightweight. That's a cheap easy way to achieve good ring times. Noisy and not a great road car. Might hurt the value of the 1gt3 a bit but doesn't take anything away from that it's a great car.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by 917962
My question may not be shared will all of you but I thought that the 2016 rule changes for the WEC GT cars had not been finalized. This had been the reason why they were waiting on potentially developing a new engine as the homologation basis. It would seem that Porsche was able to to clarify what was going to be allowed.
This issue only applies to the Cup-derived R and RSR variants. These represent a tiny fraction of the Cup-based motorsport production. The glaring ommission was the decision not to use the new powertrain in the GT3 Cup, which runs in Porsche-controlled spec series around the world. Porsche (and VAG) have complete autonomy regarding how they choose to spec these cars.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 917962
Hasn't been finalized - but I expect the WEC GT rules, which are set by the FIA, to include much stricter fuel regulations going forward. They'll want to see the GT class get more inline with the Hybrid/FI trend of the LMP class. IMO reducing the fuel allowance per race is an easy way to do it vs saying no to NA all together.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

My gut says that it's gonna be brand new as in - 4.0 liter 9a1. Perhaps the block will be slightly modified in order to incorporate removable cylinder liners or something to make the engine easier to rebuild for racing but I doubt it.

4.0 liter 9a1 is the likely answer. Either way, if they finally implement the motor in their racing program that's great news.

It's possible Porsche has found the 9a1 to be totally inadequate to racing and is making Mezger 2.0 but I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread