Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Bingo.

I think I just heard a gasp from all .1 and .2 RS owners and dealers trying to sell their cars at inflated values based on the hype of "no more manual, no more motorsport engines".

The bubble just burst.
Agreed....
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
My gut says that it's either gonna be brand new as in - 4.0 liter 9a1. Perhaps the block will be slightly modified in order to incorporate removable cylinder liners or something to make the engine easier to rebuild for racing but I doubt it.

4.0 liter 9a1 is the likely answer. Either way, if they finally implement the motor in their racing program that's great news.
+1
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Bingo.

I think I just heard a gasp from all .1 and .2 RS owners and dealers trying to sell their cars at inflated values based on the hype of "no more manual, no more motorsport engines".

The bubble just burst.
If it in fact has a new motorsports motor -- absolutely. However, if it's just a 4.0 liter 9a1 - probably not.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Sounds all exciting...
What ever engine is going in the 911RS has already been undergoing testing to be ready for the production model due out late this year, therefore I cannot see this engine as the basis for the next generation cup and WC race engine as the rules have not yet been released to fully develop a new race engine?
My guess is that the RS engine will be the 9A1 bumped to 4.0L... Which alas is a little "different".
(Perhaps porsche will be using the 9A1 as the bases for then next generation race engine which means all current 991 GT3 models have a little race engine DNA)

In terms of manual, I cannot see a manual making it into the car as it would be going backwards in terms of evolution. The only manual in the porsche parts bin would be the one using th PDK box conveted as seen in the carreras. For low production that would be the only logical choice if any.

So much speculation, it is both exciting and fustrating for those interested in putting a deposit down.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Sounds all exciting...
The only manual in the porsche parts bin would be the one using th PDK box conveted as seen in the carreras. For low production that would be the only logical choice if any.
That's not true. They also have the 6-speed that's going in the GT4 (and the 6-speed that's already in all the 981's) mated to the same 9a1-based motor. The 7-speed is to meet emissions and fuel consumption regulatory nonsense.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

My gut says that it's gonna be brand new as in - 4.0 liter 9a1. Perhaps the block will be slightly modified in order to incorporate removable cylinder liners or something to make the engine easier to rebuild for racing but I doubt it.

4.0 liter 9a1 is the likely answer. Either way, if they finally implement the motor in their racing program that's great news.

It's possible Porsche has found the 9a1 to be totally inadequate to racing and is making Mezger 2.0 but I doubt it.
+1 - Seems like more of a marketing story due to lack of news than anything else.

For the current RSR, porsche priced it at a level to keep non-factory teams away (more than double the cost of the previous at 800k Euro) and only produced 3 years? It seems to be their testbed and setup for an engine switch without upsetting too many private teams.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Hopefully Porsche staff keeps giving us little bits and pieces. It's 7 long weeks until Geneva. Tough time to be a Porsche geak. Gt4 or 991rs???
Old 01-14-2015, 10:52 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything he said in the article about its appearance is nothing new - we have seen it all already.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Hopefully Porsche staff keeps giving us little bits and pieces. It's 7 long weeks until Geneva. Tough time to be a Porsche geak. Gt4 or 991rs???
Both at MSRP - go for the RS. They're not pushing the marketing hard enough on the GT4 for it to be too exciting/revolutionary. We've not even seen any serious mules out running for a while like we're seeing on the RS.

So either it's not that exciting, or they're pushing the GT4 release out further due to continued RS delays.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 111 Posts

The new GT3-R race car is also supposed to debut early next season. It's going to be a factory effort at first, which means "still testing" before they open it up for sale to everybody. This points towards, PERHAPS, a new motor. If it was just a revised car, with the same mezger (as someone else suggested), I doubt they would wait to sell to customers. I would expect them to release info on both the GT3RS, and the GT3-R in very similar timeframes. Definitely helps the motorsport theme, even if the RS motor is just a variant of the 9A1. Porsche seems very hard to put a finger on these days.

With regards to CUP cars, and the RSR (FIA GTE/GTLM spec), there is no reason the new engine platform can't make it into all these cars in their next variation. Look at how many Cup variants were offered with the 997 generations. The first Cup was based on the narrow body, 3.6L engine GT3, then they homologated the Cup-S on the RS wide-body, 3.8L, and 4.0L. I would expect the same for this 991 generation, expect a next gen. 991 Cup based on a wider body shell, and perhaps new motor. Perhaps more importantly, now with GT3 spec being global....the GT3-R may be their most important race car for sale, as it competes with the widest variety of manufacturers, WAY more than in FIA GTLM/GTE. I would expect a pseudo-factory effort for PWC with the GT3-R, as that is quickly becoming a cost effective series for manufacturers to go racing with the GT-Pro category. Nissan is doing it, so are others.

Porsche knows how to sell race cars better than anybody.

Seems to me, regardless of what "new" engine is in the GT3RS, they have deemed the regular GT3 as more of their "road car" fleet, and saved the RS as more of a "motorsport" car, unlike previous GT3 cars. Who knows, guess we'll find out in 2 months.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

That's not true. They also have the 6-speed that's going in the GT4 (and the 6-speed that's already in all the 981's) mated to the same 9a1-based motor. The 7-speed is to meet emissions and fuel consumption regulatory nonsense.
Not sure if it is able to handle the electronics and torque of the 991 GT3 motor.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

From what i was told Flywheel is what will make the RS a revolution and
the baseline to all the new RSR etc

notice that there are no batteries here nor turbos

turbos as P Hantz said will be on "cheaper" 911 series (991.2 or 992?)
my guess here is that will be an electric turbo

Flywheels or mechanical KERS will be for race RS RSR etc.

Question any GT3.2 with a Flywheel more DD oriented or we have to wait 992 GT3?

on RS Flywheel
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Mid-engined and rear-engined gearboxes are not interchangeable - you end up with one forward gear and 6 reverse speeds. You can invert the box, but then there are plumbing/oiling issues. Can be modified, but not an off-the-shelf exercise.

I also imagine that a ~525hp GT3 RS deserves a more robust box than the one in the 981.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:00 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche is in the money making mode. The Mezger engine is too expensive. It's not coming in the new RS. The 9A1 has been doing fine so far. I'll bet my stable that no Mezger is going to be offered in the new RS.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
This doesn't actually make sense. How can a new RS engine work its way into other models in the wider Porsche range? I can't think of another car in their range where it would be remotely appropriate. Plus the trend for the rest of their cars is capacity and cylinder downsizing and turbocharging.
Motorsports. (?) GT3 Cup, GT3 RSR, Daytona Prototype, etc.

GT4 eventually? Wider Porsche range doesn't need to mean street cars...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread