911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

not....
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Main advantage of PCCB over steel is when driving at Autobahn speeds. Rotors get very cold very fast at 200kph+ in short order particularly on cooler days. When you need brake and they are cold or even freezing, there is little to no initial "bite" when the brake pedal is first depressed on steel. Initial bite at those speeds on PCCB is very confidence inspiring in comparison. If you drive the A's there is no comparison in performance and they are well worth the extra money however I would not spend any time on track with them lest they burn up on you.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

FYI, just be aware of a "major" issue with new PCCB: http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/80406...ing-off-3.html
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM
todo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks very much for all your comments - I guess you are about to save me 10,000 dollars.
As I stated above, I have never used Porsche Steel Calipers and my Turbo PCCB's brake way better than the competition.
I will change my order to steel brakes BUT if anyone has used both Steel and PCCB and if they can comment if they find a difference in braking and feel - I would like to know.
The proof is in the pudding instead of marketing jargon...
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I decided against PCCB's though many of my friends that have them love them. Porsche steel brakes are more than adequate for the type of driving we all will do.

The benefits of PCCB's basically involve two areas. The have a better initial bite which some find more comforting AND they do last about four times long than steel. BTW, the so called weight advantage is a bogus claim. PCCB's because of their size weigh almost the same as steel.

The downside is replacing PCCB's is about $20-25,000 compared to $2000 for steel. Also, PCCB's are not track worthy regardless of what some claim AND much more susceptible to being damaged even during regular maintenance like changing a tire.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
FYI, just be aware of a "major" issue with new PCCB: http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/80406...ing-off-3.html
So maybe the logo wears off the hub (not the caliper) due to high heat, or maybe it's something totally unrelated.....meh. If so, badge of honor; shows the owner has been working the brakes hard.

Originally Posted by Nick
I decided against PCCB's though many of my friends that have them love them. Porsche steel brakes are more than adequate for the type of driving we all will do.

The benefits of PCCB's basically involve two areas. The have a better initial bite which some find more comforting AND they do last about four times long than steel. BTW, the so called weight advantage is a bogus claim. PCCB's because of their size weigh almost the same as steel.
The PCCB's dust minimally which is a plus. Also, the weight issue isn't bogus. The savings probably isn't 10 lbs per wheel because the new PCCB's have about 20% more material than the 380mm cast iron rotors; it works out to around 7-8 lbs IIRC which is still significant. Edit: While this applies to the fronts which are 410mm vs 380mm at the rear the diff is only 10mm, 390 to 380, so I figure the weight savings back there is much closer to the advertised 10 lbs per wheel.

Sure, bling is part of the equation. Those giant platters look great behind the new wheels. I passed on the $3200 LED's because the standard bi-xenons are perfectly adequate, so I get the argument about passing on the PCCB's. I just wanted them anyway.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-12-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 474 Posts

Just do it. Cosmetically and Resale wise, they rock, and their INITIAL bite is absolutely tremendous...this is why people think they brake better...and honestly for the road its pretty nice. I didnt even have to think about it when order time came up. Front axel lift is an actual discussion though...
Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

I loved them in my 997S. I drove steel back to back with pccb and the pccb car felt more lively and initial bite was clearly better. They way they engaged, to me, was more confidence inspiring.

However that was on early 997.1's, not a 991 GT3 so who knows. Pad compositions, rotor materials, brake bias and other setup parameter change over time. So the comparo might be worthless.

The feeling of liveliness could, of course be a placebo effect. But the initial bite was unmistakable. I would not get them on a tracked car, but would in a heartbeat in a street car, cost be damned.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Wait, so these aren't $9k to replace, they're $20-$25k?!?!?!? Wow, I had no idea, newbie shock moment. That basically removes any doubt, I'm going iron for mine. I was thinking ab doing a complete performance spec, saving money on all the leather interior junk, and just getting pccb and front lift (and black headlights :-). ). But I can't imagine ever having to spend the price of a nice small car on brakes.

So, when buying a used gt3 with ceramics, this is a major consideration huh?... How do you know that whatever track days haven't compromised the rotors And the owner is selling just to save himself a $25k bill?

No brake dust and big platters would have been nice.. Sigh.. Note to self, Must make exponentially more money.. Linear increases just aren't hacking it :-)
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I think Porsche marketing has really tainted some people, and we are seeing the placebo affect on people who buy into PCCBs.

It makes zero sense to me why a PCCB equipped car would stop better or 'feel better' than a car with iron rotors doing silly panic stops on public roads. Someone please explain this to me.

The benefit of PCCB is lightweight and heat/fade resistance. That is all. The don't stop any better. They don't last much longer than iron rotors if tracked.

My spyder had better pedal feel and stopped quicker AFTER I removed the PCCB rotors and switched to iron. WTH? Why? Because I was able to run track compound pads, and wasn't held hostage to only OEM pads on PCCB. I can tell you the car accelerates, brakes, and handles just as well with the iron rotor setup.

The ONLY reason I can see getting PCCB is that the larger caliper and rotors you get have a larger heat capacity. If the standard calipers and iron rotors that are smaller are insufficient for heavy track use (unlikely on a GT3), then getting PCCB and immediately removing the rotors and switching to iron is the answer (unless you're ok with paying $20k to replace the rotors). If you want it for the bling/novelty, that's cool too.

My friend attended the PSDS in Alabama where he was told that they NEVER have to replace the PCCB rotors used in their fleet of cars. He ordered a PCCB car based on this info coming for Porsche representatives. His PCCB rotors went on to wear out after only a few track days, which was followed by a letter from Porsche telling him that PCCB will wear out if tracked.

Marketing.
Agree with this. Have driven both Im sure they have got better, Thing is on the street you can only really stop as fast as the car on your **** or you end up with an expensive damage problem. Also 996 gen ones I drove were poor cold. All of thos made me think they were better suited for the track than road....but then people found they didnt last the track....I like red calipers and shiny drilled discs and 9200 in my pocket thanks - plent of track day tyres for that money. That said for latest tech and looks for the road hard to beat I guess and much improved over old I should think....
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, when buying a used gt3 with ceramics, this is a major consideration huh?... How do you know that whatever track days haven't compromised the rotors And the owner is selling just to save himself a $25k bill?
Not really. You can replace the PCCB rotors with iron if they wear out or are damaged.

PCCBs make a lot of sense on the Autobahn and Nurburgring, not only the initial bite, but fade resistance when braking hard frequently from well into triple digits. Not so much here in the US.

PCCB rotors are indeed lighter, but the larger calipers are heavier, as will be the larger iron rotors if you ever replace your PCCB rotors. So the weight-saving argument is a thin one.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had steel brakes on my 991 C2S and found them to be excellent. In a couple of situations where I thought that an accident was inevitable, they responded so effectively beyond expectations that I completely avoided danger. Very competent brakes indeed.

Now I have ceramics on my 458 and find that I have to apply a lot more pressure on the pedal to get results and I can't really say that they are any superior in results. So unless you have an aversion to brake dust, which steel brakes generate a lot of, I don't think Pccbs are worth the price as an option. However, when they are a standard on a vehicle i.e. turbo S, I would just go with the flow.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I had steel brakes on my 991 C2S and found them to be excellent. In a couple of situations where I thought that an accident was inevitable, they responded so effectively beyond expectations that I completely avoided danger. Very competent brakes indeed.

Now I have ceramics on my 458 and find that I have to apply a lot more pressure on the pedal to get results and I can't really say that they are any superior in results. So unless you have an aversion to brake dust, which steel brakes generate a lot of, I don't think Pccbs are worth the price as an option. However, when they are a standard on a vehicle i.e. turbo S, I would just go with the flow.
FWIW, I've read the new PCCB's designed for the 918 and offered now on the GT3 have excellent initial bite and don't require excess pedal pressure. Based on your description of the ceramics on the 458, it sounds like the new Porsche brakes may be superior to the Ferrari's.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
FWIW, I've read the new PCCB's designed for the 918 and offered now on the GT3 have excellent initial bite and don't require excess pedal pressure. Based on your description of the ceramics on the 458, it sounds like the new Porsche brakes may be superior to the Ferrari's.
That is indeed possible. German engineering is on the cutting edge. Hard to beat. Ferraris are more about sound, looks and super star status.

But both brands use brembo if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by aamersa; 10-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM
gpennington
Intermediate

I didnt read all the posts. No need too. I have raced Porsche's on steel brakes for 10 years. The ceramics are great, but not necessary for a street car. People buy them simply for resale value. All my cars have steel brakes.

Quick Reply: To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3