Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 256 Posts

I think many are overlooking the primary advantage of the system. The massive savings in un-sprung, rotational mass, and its benefits, is certainly not marketing hype.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I think many are overlooking the primary advantage of the system. The massive savings in un-sprung, rotational mass, and its benefits, is certainly not marketing hype.
It's marketing hype if it doesn't translate into any real world benefit other than placebo.

Has anyone actually shown any proven improvement in lap time or performance with PCCB? "Hey it feels faster and brakes better" doesn't count. Ever wonder why Porsche doesn't advertise improved 0-60, 60-0, or lap times over standard brakes with PCCB? Has anyone actually seen a side by side comparo?

For endurance and pro racing where hundredths of a second count and you have a crazy budget, I get it. Otherwise....
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's marketing hype if it doesn't translate into any real world benefit other than placebo.

Has anyone actually shown any proven improvement in lap time or performance with PCCB? "Hey it feels faster and brakes better" doesn't count. Ever wonder why Porsche doesn't advertise improved 0-60, 60-0, or lap times over standard brakes with PCCB? Has anyone actually seen a side by side comparo?

For endurance and pro racing where hundredths of a second count and you have a crazy budget, I get it. Otherwise....
Exactly. The benefits are theoretically there, but within the margin of error any testing in reality. Just a marketing exercise...
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 197 Likes on 97 Posts

Great points!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Good points, Joe. I'd like to have seen whether C&D could have matched that 135' 70-0 stop with cast iron brakes.

Still, a number of highly respected reviewers including Pete Stout, who should have a good basis for comparison, have raved about the new PCCB's. And hundreths of a second count in almost every autocross I compete in.

But I get what you're saying. Let's just say I'm stupid enough to get them because they look tremendous (think of PTS for brakes), dust minimally, and won't leave rusty water spots inside my wheels like vented cast iron rotors do. Beyond that, any perceived performance gain, placebo or otherwise, is a bonus AFAIC. As for the budget part, no point in leaving ALL my money to my kids.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Good points, Joe. I'd like to have seen whether C&D could have matched that 135' 70-0 stop with cast iron brakes. Still, a number of highly respected reviewers including Pete Stout, who should have a good basis for comparison, have raved about the new PCCB's. And hundreths of a second count in almost every autocross I compete in. But I get what you're saying. Let's just say I'm stupid enough to get them because they look tremendous (think of PTS for brakes), dust minimally, and won't leave rusty water spots inside my wheels like vented cast iron rotors do. Beyond that, any perceived performance gain, placebo or otherwise, is a bonus AFAIC. As for the budget part, no point in leaving ALL my money to my kids.
I hear everything you're saying, Mike. My only point of contention is that you won't find hundredths of a second improvement at an autocross. Autocross courses are too short and too slow speed to see any benefit. I'm talking hundredths of a second improvement over a road course. I'd also like to see stout or any reviewer drive PCCB and iron back to back. Somehow I doubt Porsche will make arrangements for such a test
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I hear everything you're saying, Mike. My only point of contention is that you won't find hundredths of a second improvement at an autocross. Autocross courses are too short and too slow speed to see any benefit. I'm talking hundredths of a second improvement over a road course. I'd also like to see stout or any reviewer drive PCCB and iron back to back. Somehow I doubt Porsche will make arrangements for such a test
Well, maybe. A couple of hundreths isn't much and on a 50-60 second course I could imagine that kind of a gain from the 30-40 fewer pounds, if nothing else. In fact, we measure our times in thousandths, and sometimes it takes the 3rd decimal place to decide a placing. Granted, that's almost literally splitting hairs, and I don't make my living as an autocrosser (thank god), so the timing improvement (if it exists) is pretty much irrelevant in my case. But like I said, I'm stupid enough to buy PCCB's just for the intangibles.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
And there are maybe a dozen drivers in the world who would even notice or be able to take advantage of this benefit.

Most Americans would benefit more from losing 50 pounds from the carbon-based unit in the driver seat.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
And there are maybe a dozen drivers in the world who would even notice or be able to take advantage of this benefit. Most Americans would benefit more from losing 50 pounds from the carbon-based unit in the driver seat.
Lol, Bill

+1!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no reason the steel versions won't stop in the exact same distance as the PCCB's given the same tires. After multiple stops you might see a slight difference from fade, but I doubt it.

As to weight savings, what do the calipers of the PCCB weigh compared to the standard? What does a 410mm ceramic rotor weight compared to a 380 mm steel?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
And there are maybe a dozen drivers in the world who would even notice or be able to take advantage of this benefit.

Most Americans would benefit more from losing 50 pounds from the carbon-based unit in the driver seat.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by doubleurx
There is no reason the steel versions won't stop in the exact same distance as the PCCB's given the same tires. After multiple stops you might see a slight difference from fade, but I doubt it.

As to weight savings, what do the calipers of the PCCB weigh compared to the standard? What does a 410mm ceramic rotor weight compared to a 380 mm steel?
Both brakes use 6 piston calipers at the front and 4 at the rear but I don't know if there is a weight difference. Porsche claims a 50% savings or about 10 lb per wheel for equivalent sized PCCB over cast iron rotors. The front PCCB rotors are bigger (the math was done in another thread) so figure around 6-7 lbs at the front per rotor. The rears are 390mm vs 380mm so it's close to the full 10 lbs per wheel. Bottom line, I figure the overall savings is probably something between 30-35 lbs for the rotors.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Both brakes use 6 piston calipers at the front and 4 at the rear but I don't know if there is a weight difference. Porsche claims a 50% savings or about 10 lb per wheel for equivalent sized PCCB over cast iron rotors. The front PCCB rotors are bigger (the math was done in another thread) so figure around 6-7 lbs at the front per rotor. The rears are 390mm vs 380mm so it's close to the full 10 lbs per wheel. Bottom line, I figure the overall savings is probably something between 30-35 lbs for the rotors.
I thought I read somewhere that the front calipers are actually larger as well? I would hope so, or are they just squeezing in larger pads?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the braking distance between PCCBs and Steels may be so small as to not be measurable, the "Placebo" effect of the PCCBs can in fact translate into faster lap times if they instill confidence in the driver thereby causing them to go deeper into the braking zone. Just saying...

Plus they look good and we all know that's good for about 2 seconds per lap when bench racing...

Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I thought I read somewhere that the front calipers are actually larger as well? I would hope so, or are they just squeezing in larger pads?
The tech/marketing literature I have mentions larger rotors and expanded friction surfaces, better cooling, improved ceramic composition, and increased wear resistance but nothing about larger calipers. Beyond that, I just don't know.

Quick Reply: To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3