991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014 | 03:58 AM
Stevie B
1st Gear

I would personally not recommend PCCB on GT3. The reason is they are not fit for heavy track use! I burned my disks after 12,000 km!!! Almost only track though. While it is true that you can drive hours without cooling down the discs and still no fading. WAW!. BUT I have friends that have GT3 with steel discs with similar track days and km and they are still good.
Next time, I would buy my GT3 with regular steel disks and when they are done, change for movit ceramic. Awesome, more resistant and roughly same price as PCCB option
Old 01-28-2014 | 09:14 AM
sidicks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stevie B
I would personally not recommend PCCB on GT3. The reason is they are not fit for heavy track use! I burned my disks after 12,000 km!!! Almost only track though. While it is true that you can drive hours without cooling down the discs and still no fading. WAW!. BUT I have friends that have GT3 with steel discs with similar track days and km and they are still good.
Next time, I would buy my GT3 with regular steel disks and when they are done, change for movit ceramic. Awesome, more resistant and roughly same price as PCCB option
I presume that you're referring to the old version PCCBs (v1 or v2) and not the 3rd generation that are also fitted to the 918 Supercar?

Allegedly these are far superior and perfectly suitable for track use providing you manage the heat build up appropriately.

I guess time will tell...
Old 01-28-2014 | 09:24 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

You guys are still at it...

The equation is simple :

Track=brake a lot
Street=not so much

Brake a lot=wear(PCCBs/Steel)

PCCB=$$$$$$$$$
Steel=$$
Old 02-05-2014 | 02:04 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Jakermc can you share your experience with the RSC pads; how long you have been running it, under what conditions (track or street) and how they and the ceramic disks have been holding up under those 2 scenarios...

Just following up after a long day at PBIR, running 5 sessions (25 minutes each) with RSC1 pads on PCCB rotors. The combination was pretty much flawless. Consistent stops each and every time with no hint of fade ever. Braking distances were certainly longer than in my race car, but that's due more to vehicle weight and tire compound than the brake set-up. (Running on Pirelli Corsa's on this particular day). Though the Pagid Blacks on the race car certainly have MUCH higher initial torque.

With regards to wear, the rotors showed no visible change at all. No cracks, no grooving, no change in color. I measured the front left and its showing 34.8mm versus a min wear thickness of 33.8mm. Not sure where they start but I suspect a full mm of wear remaining means they are basically brand new. Car as 16,600+ miles on it.

Other relevant info: ambient temp about 82 degrees, track is not hard on brakes but there I do hit 142+mph on the back straight before making a 2nd gear right hander. I am generally a lighter braker than most with a driving style that tends towards mid-corner speed. YMMV.
Old 02-05-2014 | 02:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stevie B
Wait, I must be missing something. Your PCCBs lasted you 12,000 km (mostly track, so about 70-80 track days?) and you still wouldn't recommend them? And friends had steel discs that lasted them 70-80 track days? Was it a perfectly circular track?
Old 02-05-2014 | 11:22 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jakermc
Just following up after a long day at PBIR, running 5 sessions (25 minutes each) with RSC1 pads on PCCB rotors. The combination was pretty much flawless. Consistent stops each and every time with no hint of fade ever. Braking distances were certainly longer than in my race car, but that's due more to vehicle weight and tire compound than the brake set-up. (Running on Pirelli Corsa's on this particular day). Though the Pagid Blacks on the race car certainly have MUCH higher initial torque.

With regards to wear, the rotors showed no visible change at all. No cracks, no grooving, no change in color. I measured the front left and its showing 34.8mm versus a min wear thickness of 33.8mm. Not sure where they start but I suspect a full mm of wear remaining means they are basically brand new. Car as 16,600+ miles on it.

Other relevant info: ambient temp about 82 degrees, track is not hard on brakes but there I do hit 142+mph on the back straight before making a 2nd gear right hander. I am generally a lighter braker than most with a driving style that tends towards mid-corner speed. YMMV.
Thanks for the update Jake.

Old 02-06-2014 | 02:09 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Wait, I must be missing something. Your PCCBs lasted you 12,000 km (mostly track, so about 70-80 track days?) and you still wouldn't recommend them? And friends had steel discs that lasted them 70-80 track days? Was it a perfectly circular track?
70-80 days??? Thats more like 20-25 with kms travelled to get to/from the track...

Quick Reply: To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3