Sponsored by:

To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
I think the best option if you can stomach the $9k option is to go with the PCCB option for all of the advantages already iterated. Porsche will soon be releasing an iron rotor that's equal in size to the PCCB rotor, so it will allow you to have a track set of iron rotors that are larger than the non-PCCB. You get the bling upside and option to use PCCB with an even larger rotor set to provide slightly better fade resistance in the track scenarios.
I am probably in the minority here but I don't want the yellow callipers and would probably have then painted red (going with deviated stitching, dials and belts in red) I am trying to convince myself to go with PCCB but I do frequent the track often. Sure its great to be able to have larger rotors and even switch to larger steel rotors if the carbons are just going to get torn up. But knowing it will all but eliminate 19" wheels and a larger selection of tires has me torn. To upgrade to PCCB and then just switch to steel seems silly to me as well. Sure you can have larger rotors but I never really thought the smaller steel rotors were an issue to begin with.

I am glad these are the issues I must face in my life.......
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
The GT3 brakes are great. I had PCCB on both of my GT3s and never a problem. The reason to get PCCB is because YOU want them. The steels are great.
I still want to meet someone that has 1st hand experience of the much vaunted failings of PCCB on a tracked car ... and not hearsay
Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I still want to meet someone that has 1st hand experience of the much vaunted failings of PCCB on a tracked car ... and not hearsay
I'll be at Sonoma on 11/23 if you want to talk about how my PCCBs still wore just as much as iron on track. My buddy with the TTS that wore through his PCCB will be there too
Old 10-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Porsche has said that the material composition of the new third generation PCCB's has been "completely revised, especially the outer friction layer". They go on to say that a "significantly higher proportion of ceramic in the carbon-fiber reinforced ceramics, has greatly increased the wear resistance of the new disc generation, even under extremely high loads". Given that these exact brakes were designed for the much heavier and faster 918, hopefully they have been changed significantly and track wear characteristics are improved. Guess we'll find out in time....
Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCCBs, front lift kit, and LEDs are the only options that matter. Everything else offered is just glitter...don't get me wrong, I like a little glitter now and then too.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Well, and the racing buckets, but I'm still trying not to get my hopes up too high on those being available stateside until it's 100% confirmed on timing. Plan on dragging my feet w/ my dealer as long as possible until that's confirmed (and letting others in line jump ahead of me if it's just the difference of a few months).
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Dan39
Racer

PCCBs, front lift kit, and LEDs are the only options that matter. Everything else offered is just glitter...don't get me wrong, I like a little glitter now and then too.
The LEDs are not glitter?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Dan39: Ha, that was just to make sure you were reading. Agreed, it's 90% glitter, but 10% enhanced function and I'm getting them as an option and have argued to myself that the minor enhancement to night-time lighting contrast and the more natural light hue make it a "performance" feature. But, there's a lot of glitter in there too. Pasting something from another Rennlist posting off the Porsche website:

LED main headlight, including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
An innovative all-LED-headlight system is optionally available on the new 911 GT3. The headlight system consists of the following features:
• Headlights with low/high beams as well as an auxiliary high beam and 4-point daytime driving lights in LED technology
• Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with dynamic headlight levelling, speed-dependent driving light control, dynamic cornering light and headlight cleaning system
The central element of this system is the all-LED headlight. It consists primarily of the following 4 components:
• Basic module
• PDLS module
• Auxiliary high beam
• Daytime driving lights

The light system offers the following customer benefits:
Customer benefits

Visual Differentiation • Attractive headlight design • Daytime driving lights and night design clearly differentiated

Driving Safety• Fatigue-free driving thanks to daylight-similar LED light colour for higher perception of contrast

Efficiency • Lower power consumption• Service life of the LEDs several times longer than Xenon lights

Comfort • Light function with no switch-on delay

The basic module located in the upper part of the all-LED headlights is part of the low beam and ensures broad, even illumination of the road. The 2nd part of the low beam is located under it in the PDLS module. With its swing function and variable light distribution, this enables the following PDLS functions: dynamic cornering light, country road light and motorway light.
The auxiliary high beam in the upper part of the all-LED headlight consists of the two sub-components and is located left and right of the basic module. Its high position and auxiliary function further improve road illumination for better driving safety, in particular at high speeds.
All LED headlights are functionally designed as a reflector/lens system, meaning the light of all low beam and high beam functions of the light source (LED) is projected onto the road via a reflector, lens and rotating drum (PDLS functions).
Visually, the all-LED headlights consist of two tune-shaped light housings arranged stepwise with bevelled lens contour above and below. The dynamic design of the all-LED headlights is completed by an attractive colour scheme for the individual headlight components.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm still waiting for proof that PCCB isn't glitter. It certainly was in prior models
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the best option if you can stomach the $9k option is to go with the PCCB option for all of the advantages already iterated. Porsche will soon be releasing an iron rotor that's equal in size to the PCCB rotor, so it will allow you to have a track set of iron rotors that are larger than the non-PCCB. You get the bling upside and option to use PCCB with an even larger rotor set to provide slightly better fade resistance in the track scenarios.
I don't believe this will be the case in regards to Porsche making a larger Steel rotor for the PCCB setup. In the GT3 article in the last Excellence magazine, it was said that the PCCB calipers can be shimmed to work with the standard Steel rotors or something to that effect and not that Porsche will make a larger steel rotor for tracking.

Last edited by Conekilr; 10-24-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: wrong mag
Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I don't believe this will be the case in regards to Porsche making a larger Steel rotor for the PCCB setup. In the GT3 article in the last Panorama magazine, it was said that the PCCB calipers can be shimmed to work with the standard Steel rotors or something to that effect and not that Porsche will make a larger steel rotor for tracking.
Anyway, why would you want to change rotors back and forth? That's ridiculous. Particularly with the obscenely-difficult CL procedure.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm still waiting for proof that PCCB isn't glitter. It certainly was in prior models
Took mine off before they had the opportunity of turning to glitter.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eurotom
Took mine off before they had the opportunity of turning to glitter.
Lol!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan39: Ha, that was just to make sure you were reading. Agreed, it's 90% glitter, but 10% enhanced function and I'm getting them as an option and have argued to myself that the minor enhancement to night-time lighting contrast and the more natural light hue make it a "performance" feature. But, there's a lot of glitter in there too. Pasting something from another Rennlist posting off the Porsche website:

LED main headlight, including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
An innovative all-LED-headlight system is optionally available on the new 911 GT3. The headlight system consists of the following features:
• Headlights with low/high beams as well as an auxiliary high beam and 4-point daytime driving lights in LED technology
• Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with dynamic headlight levelling, speed-dependent driving light control, dynamic cornering light and headlight cleaning system
The central element of this system is the all-LED headlight. It consists primarily of the following 4 components:
• Basic module
• PDLS module
• Auxiliary high beam
• Daytime driving lights

The light system offers the following customer benefits:
Customer benefits

Visual Differentiation • Attractive headlight design • Daytime driving lights and night design clearly differentiated

Driving Safety• Fatigue-free driving thanks to daylight-similar LED light colour for higher perception of contrast

Efficiency • Lower power consumption• Service life of the LEDs several times longer than Xenon lights

Comfort • Light function with no switch-on delay

The basic module located in the upper part of the all-LED headlights is part of the low beam and ensures broad, even illumination of the road. The 2nd part of the low beam is located under it in the PDLS module. With its swing function and variable light distribution, this enables the following PDLS functions: dynamic cornering light, country road light and motorway light.
The auxiliary high beam in the upper part of the all-LED headlight consists of the two sub-components and is located left and right of the basic module. Its high position and auxiliary function further improve road illumination for better driving safety, in particular at high speeds.
All LED headlights are functionally designed as a reflector/lens system, meaning the light of all low beam and high beam functions of the light source (LED) is projected onto the road via a reflector, lens and rotating drum (PDLS functions).
Visually, the all-LED headlights consist of two tune-shaped light housings arranged stepwise with bevelled lens contour above and below. The dynamic design of the all-LED headlights is completed by an attractive colour scheme for the individual headlight components.
Seriously??! You believe this...
Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I don't believe this will be the case in regards to Porsche making a larger Steel rotor for the PCCB setup. In the GT3 article in the last Excellence magazine, it was said that the PCCB calipers can be shimmed to work with the standard Steel rotors or something to that effect and not that Porsche will make a larger steel rotor for tracking.
What you say about shimming the PCCB rotors for use with the standard cast iron GT3 rotors may be true. But there was also a reference reported in an earlier thread (from a magazine article IIRC) that said Porsche would make available cast iron rotors in the 410/390mm size for those PCCB owners who tracked heavily and wanted an option. Maybe someone else here remembers exactly where that came from.

Quick Reply: To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3