Sponsored by:

To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpennington
I didnt read all the posts. No need too. I have raced Porsche's on steel brakes for 10 years. The ceramics are great, but not necessary for a street car. People buy them simply for resale value. All my cars have steel brakes.
Your 2013 458 could not have steel brakes unless you changed them.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Although I only read the first page...

...what happened to driving your GT3/RS with PCCBs at a D.E. or track day with Traction Control on? Isn't this a big no-no and can cause some premature damage to the already overpriced Carbon Brakes; which interestingly are the cheapest version of the exact model PCCBS from the factory. Is it true that all Carbon Ceramic brakes are Sourced and made by the same company that everyone from Porsche, Ferrari, Lamgorghini & et al get them from.

That's why it cost a fortune to run a Ferrari in their little Ferrari Cup thing because they have to change their Carbon Ceramics after so many races?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I didn't realize TC uses brake application to function, I thought that was stability control.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dump the lift system. I have Gen 2 RS, no lift system and have no issues and in Dubai this place is FILLED with speed humps/ramps. You'll be saving weight too. Go with your instincts.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Dump the lift system. I have Gen 2 RS, no lift system and have no issues and in Dubai this place is FILLED with speed humps/ramps. You'll be saving weight too. Go with your instincts.
I live in San Francisco.. It's ab the most hilly urban terrain anyone would dare drive any car, let alone a gt3.. I high center and scrape the middle of my BMW wagon on some intersections.. The lift system is absolutely essential. Can't leave my street without it.. Still may have an issue with it. (Written while laughing condescendingly at comparison to Dubai speed bumps ). :-)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I didn't realize TC uses brake application to function, I thought that was stability control.
I don't. Just those poor bastards who use it when running around a track have had bad days discovering they shouldn't combine the two when running in driving event.

And I have been in Calexico, California in the middle of summer. Its a bigger bummer than being in Bakersfield at the same time.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:52 PM
1198r
Pro

I live in San Francisco.. It's ab the most hilly urban terrain anyone would dare drive any car, let alone a gt3.. I high center and scrape the middle of my BMW wagon on some intersections.. The lift system is absolutely essential. Can't leave my street without it.. Still may have an issue with it. (Written while laughing condescendingly at comparison to Dubai speed bumps ). :-)
Having been to San Fran - I hear ya. Dubai is REALLY hilly too .... and just puts them in to "traffic calm".... on the most ridiculous roads.... in fact, they should put them on the motorway - ahem, sorry, freeway.... now that would sort the driving out....
Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
The GT3 brakes are great. I had PCCB on both of my GT3s and never a problem. The reason to get PCCB is because YOU want them. The steels are great.
+1
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todo
I got lucky to get a allocation for early 2014 GT3 from my dealer (he has total 4 cars to sell in 2014).
By the time I finished the MSRP of the car is 164K Yikes...
The two most expensive options are:
1. PCCB - 9600 Dollars
2. Front Lift System - 3200 Dollars
I love the PCCB on my 2008 Turbo Cab - the car brakes likes nothing I have driven before... so I want PCCB on the GT3 but am wondering if stock brakes are good enough..
Will appreciate input..
Todo
front axle life is a MUST
PCCB is either a nice or a must depending very subjectively on your personal preference, I would definitely order them ... others would pass
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 PM
petec4s
2nd Gear

Default Generation 3 PCCB's for GT3

Directly from Porsche " the material composition of the ceramic brake discs, especially the outer friction layer, has been completely revised. A significant higher proportion of ceramic in the carbon-fibre-reinforced ceramics has greatly increased the wear resistance of the new disc generation, even under extremely high loads". This is in addition to significant improvements in cooling which will apply equally to steel brakes. BOTH front and rear brake chambers on PCCB equiped 991 GT3's are forged aluminium whereas only the front chambers on the 997 were forged aluminium. So the larger brake rotor surface, improved materials and cooling make it a much more difficult decision for me since I had planned to stay with steel as I will be doing a few track days a year. Also, the replacement brake pads for PCCB's are less than the pads used on steel brakes so its no big deal to be conservative on replacing the pads well before any friction damage could be done to the rotors.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Just do it. Cosmetically and Resale wise, they rock, and their INITIAL bite is absolutely tremendous...this is why people think they brake better...and honestly for the road its pretty nice. I didnt even have to think about it when order time came up. Front axel lift is an actual discussion though...
I say just buy the Iron Brakes, then have someone who knows.what they are doing paint the Braking Calipers the proper shade of yellow.

Many, and I mean many of the Lexus LFA Leasers, since you have to lease the Lexus for the first two years you own it, have the option of what color they want the Calipers. I think the last figure I saw on THAT option 90% Yellow like you know who right?

BLING
Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it has already been noted that the "normal" steels will be small enough to hide inside 19's, which avails the driver to both Hoosiers and aftermarket brakes like Movit or PFC (official Porsche Motorsport OEM for 991 Cup.) Tasty either way.
I don't know if the factory PCCBs will work without a strut swap just because I don't know where the calipers will be fitted for those 410mm front rotors.
I am thinking the GT3 is **** on a bull without access to Hoosiers.
If the $10K+ 410mm PCCBs self destruct on the track (as all previous generators have disgraced themselves) then what's the point other than imaginary sensations of unsprung weight (with 20 inch wheels and tires?)
I dunno. I'm tempted to go PCCBs because this will be an "arrove and drove" car for me and if I have to buy a whole bloody strut, I'll be tempted to "decontent" the car to aftermarket san PASM and perhaps later sans rear steer (if the front steer merits the cost to see what this car is like if the driver were to be the one in control of it.)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best option if you can stomach the $9k option is to go with the PCCB option for all of the advantages already iterated. Porsche will soon be releasing an iron rotor that's equal in size to the PCCB rotor, so it will allow you to have a track set of iron rotors that are larger than the non-PCCB. You get the bling upside and option to use PCCB with an even larger rotor set to provide slightly better fade resistance in the track scenarios.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
I think the best option if you can stomach the $9k option is to go with the PCCB option for all of the advantages already iterated. Porsche will soon be releasing an iron rotor that's equal in size to the PCCB rotor, so it will allow you to have a track set of iron rotors that are larger than the non-PCCB. You get the bling upside and option to use PCCB with an even larger rotor set to provide slightly better fade resistance in the track scenarios.
My thoughts as well.....

Quick Reply: To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3