Sponsored by:

To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
todo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3

I got lucky to get a allocation for early 2014 GT3 from my dealer (he has total 4 cars to sell in 2014).
By the time I finished the MSRP of the car is 164K Yikes...
The two most expensive options are:
1. PCCB - 9600 Dollars
2. Front Lift System - 3200 Dollars
I love the PCCB on my 2008 Turbo Cab - the car brakes likes nothing I have driven before... so I want PCCB on the GT3 but am wondering if stock brakes are good enough..
Will appreciate input..
Todo
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Im interested Also.. Specifically for the ROAD, does it make any difference at all or is the feel of steel brakes better anyway?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Stock brakes are definitely good enough, and probably the best choice if the car will be heavily tracked. OTOH, every review raves about the new PCCB's and I'm getting them. Special car, special brakes.....
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Mike. The stock brakes should be more than good enough, are far more cost efficient, etc...

That said, I went with PCCB. Same set as on the 918. Decided to take the plunge for something special, even if it doesn't make financial sense.

Heck, this purchase is far from a financial decision anyway.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3 brakes are great. I had PCCB on both of my GT3s and never a problem. The reason to get PCCB is because YOU want them. The steels are great.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Kain
Advanced

Sorry for going a little off-topic, but can someone help me understand how one type of brakes can having shorter stopping distances than another type even though both can lock-up the tires or activate ABS under heaving braking? Basically, how do better brakes help stopping distances even though "normal" brakes can lock-up the tires?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Has it been measured? The only reason (and it's a good reason) PCCB would stop shorter is because there is less rotational inertia to slow down, and a 50+ lb lighter car. Stopping power is the same, and the only time that might come into play is a 100-0 or 150-0 stopping test where brake heat causes the stock steels to run the pads up to a temperature when the friction starts to drop off.

If you are worried about the weight and rotational inertia, lighter wheels/tires are an option that could have a greater impact.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Kain
Advanced

They say that Porsche has great brakes and I was wondering what makes them so great compared to Ferrari or any other such car. Are you saying that Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini all have equally good brakes but it is the "characteristics" (like you stated weight, etc.) of the cars that decide how well they stop?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:45 AM
todo
Intermediate

Its not about distance to stop PCCB versus Steel - It is also about the 'feel'.
Braking with Porsche PCCB's gives you tremendous confidence and the car stops with the an unexplainable feel.
I have a Ferrari 458 and a Porsche Turbo with PCCB which is my Daily Driver. Every time I drive the Ferrari I get a few scares as the car takes way too longer to stop than my Porsche - almost dangerous.
I have asked others who have same cars and they all confirm that the Porsche PCCB's are hard to beat.
My only problem is that I have never driven a Porsche with Steel Brakes and thus my question.
Anyway, the most important thing for a fast car (GT3) is to have the best brakes out there - for safety and tracking...
I chose the PCCB's and will stay with them.
Thanks for all for responding.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

$9,200 USD for "unexplainable" braking. Sounds like a great investment for you.

Porsche steels with track pads for tracking. PCCB for DD. This has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I think Porsche marketing has really tainted some people, and we are seeing the placebo affect on people who buy into PCCBs.

It makes zero sense to me why a PCCB equipped car would stop better or 'feel better' than a car with iron rotors doing silly panic stops on public roads. Someone please explain this to me.

The benefit of PCCB is lightweight and heat/fade resistance. That is all. The don't stop any better. They don't last much longer than iron rotors if tracked.

My spyder had better pedal feel and stopped quicker AFTER I removed the PCCB rotors and switched to iron. WTH? Why? Because I was able to run track compound pads, and wasn't held hostage to only OEM pads on PCCB. I can tell you the car accelerates, brakes, and handles just as well with the iron rotor setup.

The ONLY reason I can see getting PCCB is that the larger caliper and rotors you get have a larger heat capacity. If the standard calipers and iron rotors that are smaller are insufficient for heavy track use (unlikely on a GT3), then getting PCCB and immediately removing the rotors and switching to iron is the answer (unless you're ok with paying $20k to replace the rotors). If you want it for the bling/novelty, that's cool too.

My friend attended the PSDS in Alabama where he was told that they NEVER have to replace the PCCB rotors used in their fleet of cars. He ordered a PCCB car based on this info coming for Porsche representatives. His PCCB rotors went on to wear out after only a few track days, which was followed by a letter from Porsche telling him that PCCB will wear out if tracked.

Marketing.

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-12-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I think Porsche marketing has really tainted some people, and we are seeing the placebo affect on people who buy into PCCBs.

It makes zero sense to me why a PCCB equipped car would stop better or 'feel better' than a car with iron rotors doing silly panic stops on public roads. Someone please explain this to me.

The benefit of PCCB is lightweight and heat/fade resistance. That is all. The don't stop any better. They don't last much longer than iron rotors if tracked.

My spyder had better pedal feel and stopped quicker AFTER I removed the PCCB rotors and switched to iron. WTH? Why? Because I was able to run track compound pads, and wasn't held hostage to only OEM pads on PCCB. I can tell you the car accelerates, brakes, and handles just as well with the iron rotor setup.

The ONLY reason I can see getting PCCB is that the larger caliper and rotors you get have a larger heat capacity. If the standard calipers and iron rotors that are smaller are insufficient for heavy track use (unlikely on a GT3), then getting PCCB and immediately removing the rotors and switching to iron is the answer (unless you're ok with paying $20k to replace the rotors). If you want it for the bling/novelty, that's cool too.

My friend attended the PSDS in Alabama where he was told that they NEVER have to replace the PCCB rotors used in their fleet of cars. He ordered a PCCB car based on this info coming for Porsche representatives. His PCCB rotors went on to wear out after only a few track days, which was followed by a letter from Porsche telling him that PCCB will wear out if tracked.

Marketing.
A big +1 after swapping to the same setup as Orthojoe has I felt an improvement in pedal feel and performance. Brake dust sucks and I like bling so now I have 15k frisbees collecting dust
Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
They say that Porsche has great brakes and I was wondering what makes them so great compared to Ferrari or any other such car. Are you saying that Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini all have equally good brakes but it is the "characteristics" (like you stated weight, etc.) of the cars that decide how well they stop?
Mostly it's the rear weight. 911s have more total grip under braking than most cars.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

+1 on marketing. Stock steels on my .2 with track pads is simply awesome. I've driven PCCB cars and I don't get the hype. Sure look purdy though.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

PCCB = male jewelry. Gotta have the bling.

Not that there's anything wrong with that......

Quick Reply: To PCCB or NOT on 911 GT3