Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 09:01 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus1982
I don't think Porsche cares about anything, just profit. I know case where they did not sell the 992 RS to a current RS owner, haha. Fir sure they will sell all of them, anyway. Do you think this engine is the only in this world with a known weak spot? Of course not. Do vw gave good wills for their ****ty melting pistons for example?
If mine would fail after the 15 year extended warranty I would not replace the whole engine for half of the car's cost, just the cams'n'FFs with the updated PN, dlc coated, or...some better fix that may or may not be available by 3rd party vendors.
You either assume the cost, whatever that is or sell.
Agree, what people are missing, is if you change your oil often, and catch the failure early, you can replace the cams, and finger followers, and be good again. Few failures are total engine fails with the Finger follower / cam wear.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:17 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Can you request? Sure! Will it do anything? No.

The only way I see this working if your are THE ORIGINAL owner of the vechile because those are the only customers Porsche cares about. There is not any "Porsche Goodwill" for the 3rd-7th owner who has had the vechile for 12 months and the car hasn't seen the dealership in 3 years.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
What are you talking about exactly?
I was not the first owner of my 991.1 GT3 and Porsche provided a new G6 on-the-spot without hesitation as have many others.
Perhaps I am clearly missing your point, but coming from an auto dealer you should have some facts?

Old 08-28-2024, 11:25 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Ed99;19618816]Since warranty is up in 4 months from now and you haven't replaced your original engine, can you request to replace it with the G6.....engine for preventive engine failure down the road?

Also, how do you know if the engine has not been replaced? Are they a certain ABCDE...code as well?

Yes, the motors are alphanumeric serialized by model year.
Get under and look at the engine ser# stamped on the block.
My original E-series motor from 2014 is now a G6-series in 2022.

The following users liked this post:
Ed99 (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 11:56 PM
Ed99
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus1982
I don't think Porsche cares about anything, just profit. I know case where they did not sell the 992 RS to a current RS owner, haha. Fir sure they will sell all of them, anyway. Do you think this engine is the only in this world with a known weak spot? Of course not. Do vw gave good wills for their ****ty melting pistons for example?
If mine would fail after the 15 year extended warranty I would not replace the whole engine for half of the car's cost, just the cams'n'FFs with the updated PN, dlc coated, or...some better fix that may or may not be available by 3rd party vendors.
You either assume the cost, whatever that is or sell.
Not a lot of people will have $70K cash that can go towards replacing the GT3 engine so most likely people will just sell it...hence the reason why there are more and more 991.1 GT3 on sale now. But this thread is very helpful for especially buyers that are looking to purchase one now and to be on the lookout for a G6 engine!!
Old 08-29-2024, 09:25 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,585 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
Not a lot of people will have $70K cash that can go towards replacing the GT3 engine so most likely people will just sell it...hence the reason why there are more and more 991.1 GT3 on sale now. But this thread is very helpful for especially buyers that are looking to purchase one now and to be on the lookout for a G6 engine!!
If someone doesn’t have $70k spare cash to replace an engine, perhaps they shouldn’t buy a car costing well over $100k?
Old 08-29-2024, 09:56 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
If someone doesn’t have $70k spare cash to replace an engine, perhaps they shouldn’t buy a car costing well over $100k?
And finger follower / cam wear doesn't warranty (in general) an entire engine replace. All finger followers / cams cost about $10k, and argueably only the exhaust side wears. So if only exhaust side is done $5k + labor.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:27 AM
JGC
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So if your engine warranty is out and you are still stuck with an F-series engine, what do you do? Limit RPM to 8600? Change cams out to the DLC versions (around $15K to $20K???) Frequent oil changes with the best available (as has been discussed in other threads here)??
Old 08-29-2024, 10:58 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 426 Posts

Eh, a $70k incidental isn't anything to take lightly. I know my wife would de-prioritize that expense for at least a decade lol ($70k buys a very nice kitchen).

I think the problem is taking on that purchase with a known problem vs a rare anomaly. This gets compounded as these cars are teetering around $100k and it's so much damn car for that price point that it's human nature to consider exploring the option of obtaining something which would otherwise be out of reach.
Ed99 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 11:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,585 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Eh, a $70k incidental isn't anything to take lightly. I know my wife would de-prioritize that expense for at least a decade lol ($70k buys a very nice kitchen).

I think the problem is taking on that purchase with a known problem vs a rare anomaly. This gets compounded as these cars are teetering around $100k and it's so much damn car for that price point that it's human nature to consider exploring the option of obtaining something which would otherwise be out of reach.
Fair enough.
slipaway37 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 01:12 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JGC
So if your engine warranty is out and you are still stuck with an F-series engine, what do you do? Limit RPM to 8600? Change cams out to the DLC versions (around $15K to $20K???) Frequent oil changes with the best available (as has been discussed in other threads here)??
E/F-Engine perscription:
  • If you track the car a lot, out of warranty, and can't afford the potential engine issue, sell the car.
  • If you track the car:
    • Change oil often, run a 5w50 or high quality 5w40 (like Driven, Motul)
    • Limit shifts to manual mode and shift as you noted at 8650 rpm.
    • Pull the engine at intervals and check for cam / finger follower wear every 10-20k miles.
    • Run an oil analysis consistently to track for abnormal wears.
  • If you don't track the car:
    • Same perscription, I would probably do an inspection until 20-30k miles

As I've noted here, I own a .1 GT3 RS, G0 engine. I don't track, and do the above. I follow the above, and will probably eventually pull the engine at 30k miles for an inspection/seal change, and replace the Finger/follower cams as needed. I don't really worry about it.

.1 GT3 / RS are some of the best value cars for the money. I also think soon when these cars all come off warranty there will be aftermarket fixes as noted by Neil Harvey here.

Last edited by Indyxc; 08-29-2024 at 01:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Indyxc:
Ed99 (08-29-2024), JGC (08-30-2024), konrad h1 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 01:49 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 555 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
What are you talking about exactly?
I was not the first owner of my 991.1 GT3 and Porsche provided a new G6 on-the-spot without hesitation as have many others.
Perhaps I am clearly missing your point, but coming from an auto dealer you should have some facts?
My post was a response to: "Since warranty is up in 4 months from now and you haven't replaced your original engine, can you request to replace it with the G6.....engine for preventive engine failure down the road?"....

Of course if you have an engine failure and submit a warranty claim to Porsche, it will be covered. But without failure, requesting a new motor as essentially preventive maintenance, and would be a long shot.

Admin: Please leave my posts up. I understand I'm not Porsche, but considering our hundreds of extended warranty customers have been submitting warranty repair orders on Porsches for years, I feel like my industry expertise is legitimate on this matter. Having even provided a hypothetical solution to the post's suggested outcome, I'm not sure how the removed post was misleading.

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 08-29-2024, 03:01 PM
Ed99
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't mean if you don't have $70K in your pocket but a lot of people here would rather spend that $70K on something else more important vs a weekend toy. Also, $70K is a lot of money when you can buy a 991.1 GT3 for $100K. That is 70% value just based on putting funds to fix your GT3.
Old 08-29-2024, 05:00 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indyxc
And finger follower / cam wear doesn't warranty (in general) an entire engine replace. All finger followers / cams cost about $10k, and argueably only the exhaust side wears. So if only exhaust side is done $5k + labor.
VERY INCORRECT!
See for yourself:

Last edited by slipaway37; 08-29-2024 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added Photos
Old 08-29-2024, 05:07 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
My post was a response to: "Since warranty is up in 4 months from now and you haven't replaced your original engine, can you request to replace it with the G6.....engine for preventive engine failure down the road?"....

Of course if you have an engine failure and submit a warranty claim to Porsche, it will be covered. But without failure, requesting a new motor as essentially preventive maintenance, and would be a long shot.

Admin: Please leave my posts up. I understand I'm not Porsche, but considering our hundreds of extended warranty customers have been submitting warranty repair orders on Porsches for years, I feel like my industry expertise is legitimate on this matter. Having even provided a hypothetical solution to the post's suggested outcome, I'm not sure how the removed post was misleading.

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos
Then you need to be more specific and exact in your verbiage. You are known all over the forums to be steering people toward your services which is smart marketing; however, I'd be very careful with how you continue to present your business.
Have a super day :-)
Old 08-29-2024, 05:56 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 555 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Then you need to be more specific and exact in your verbiage. You are known all over the forums to be steering people toward your services which is smart marketing; however, I'd be very careful with how you continue to present your business.
Have a super day :-)
Nothing about my post has anything to do with "steering people towards your services" ???

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends