Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 03:59 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wootloops
To clarify though, your G6 failure was NOT the typical finger follower failure, was it?

If it wasn't FF failure, a random unlucky one-off failure can happen to any engine. Even the new 4.0s have blown up for various reasons.
My recollection is that his G6 failure was a bottom end issue, so not related to the more systemic finger follower issue of the earlier E/F/G0 motors.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:00 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by NNayak
My recollection is that his G6 failure was a bottom end issue, so not the more systemic finger follower issue of the earlier E/F/G0 motors.
Anyone care to explain what they mean by bottom end? I see this term being thrown around.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:01 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by McNamara
Anyone care to explain what they mean by bottom end? I see this term being thrown around.
The term "bottom end" relates to the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and bearings. "Top end" generally refers to valves, camshafts, valve actuation mechanism, etc.
The following users liked this post:
McNamara (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 04:33 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Bottom end failures are rare but exist on any engine. I recall of some bearing issues on 2 or 3 .2 4.0 and one or two .1 4.0 Normally these failurs happen in the first 10k miles or less as its allways a material or prouction issue. No systematic problem.
Typically, the valvetrain issue is when the CEL comes up and a bottom end issue is when the engine rips itself apart
Old 09-02-2024, 05:06 PM
konrad h1
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

I celebrated my 10 year warranty expiration on 9/1/2024 with a weekend track event at VIR with my son. Good news: It didn't fail....

The following 3 users liked this post by konrad h1:
Indyxc (09-02-2024), McNamara (09-02-2024), SterlingatBOM (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 05:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
Wow even the G6 engine is not bullet proof...yikes!!! I would totally lose confident period as well. Did you end up selling your GT3 or you got another G6 engine replaced? That must been so frustrating for you.
it got replaced with a G6, but last year I traded the car for a 991.2 3RS. G6 failure was bottom end, not ff.
SterlingatBOM (09-02-2024)
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Reminder that the original engine in my 2015 GT3 failed after about 30k miles, was replaced with a G6, and then the G6 failed at about 8k miles. Both failures happened on track. Maybe I was unlucky, but I lost confidence in the engine.
Reminder that you make this post every few months and conveniently leave out the very critical detail that your G6 failure had absolutely nothing to do with the finger follower issue.

I'm still not sure why you find it necessary
The following 2 users liked this post by itrsteve:
konrad h1 (Yesterday), NNayak (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Reminder that you make this post every few months and conveniently leave out the very critical detail that your G6 failure had absolutely nothing to do with the finger follower issue.

I'm still not sure why you find it necessary
Because it’s relevant to this thread and some people aren’t aware of it. The fact that it was a different failure mode is not reassuring.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Because it’s relevant to this thread and some people aren’t aware of it. The fact that it was a different failure mode is not reassuring.
Your bottom end failure on track is not remotely relevant when we're talking about a design error that impacts every single 991.1 owner.

This is already a nuanced topic and your routine insistence to drop a grenade in the room and walk away is strange at best. At bare minimum you could mention the cause of the failure, but it's intentional that you avoid it because you want attention.

Fortunately there's people here that are quick to catch it before bad information spreads.
The following 3 users liked this post by itrsteve:
johnsopa (Yesterday), konrad h1 (Yesterday), NNayak (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Your bottom end failure on track is not remotely relevant when we're talking about a design error that impacts every single 991.1 owner.

This is already a nuanced topic and your routine insistence to drop a grenade in the room and walk away is strange at best. At bare minimum you could mention the cause of the failure, but it's intentional that you avoid it because you want attention.

Fortunately there's people here that are quick to catch it before bad information spreads.
I don't actually remember the exact failure mode. Was it the con rod, rod bolt, something else? I just remember that it wasn't the FF, and my G6 failed at about 8k miles. The failure took place on the track, but out of 8k miles, the majority of those miles were road miles.

If the problem was isolated to the ff issue, one might think that fixing that issue would make this a reliable engine. But failure of the engine in another failure mode after so few miles suggests that the problem isn't isolated to the ff. I don't know how many of the G6 engines have failed in failure modes other than ff, but I doubt that I was so unlucky that mine was the only one.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

I just remember that it wasn't the FF, and my G6 failed at about 8k miles.
This is the detail you always conveniently fail to call out until another user provides context.

The FF issue is clearly a design flaw and a very top of mind issue of many owners and prospective buyers with varied levels of understanding (as evidenced by the countless threads on the topic). Chiming in on each thread that you had a G6 fail without critical context is irresponsible at best.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

This is the detail you always conveniently fail to call out until another user provides context.

The FF issue is clearly a design flaw and a very top of mind issue of many owners and prospective buyers with varied levels of understanding (as evidenced by the countless threads on the topic). Chiming in on each thread that you had a G6 fail without critical context is irresponsible at best.
I disagree. Fact is that I had a G6 engine fail at low miles. It should not be reassuring that the failure mode was unrelated to the FF. Since you're particular about it, remind us all what my failure mode was.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

For me it very much matters what failure it was!

All the G6 failures boil down to two cases and two out of two are manufacturing/material issues in production and are nothing anyone needs to worry about.

Dropping "my G6 failed" multiple times without context just gives a wrong impression.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cay_PI:
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts

I disagree. Fact is that I had a G6 engine fail at low miles. It should not be reassuring that the failure mode was unrelated to the FF. Since you're particular about it, remind us all what my failure mode was.
I do agree the context is relavant. A bottom end failrue on a MA176 is much more rare than a finger follower issue, and does not seem to be correlated to any type of design issue.

In your case while the G engine bottom end failure is unfortunate, leaving out what failed wrongly leads most people to assume it failed due to a finger follower issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Indyxc:
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Since you're particular about it, remind us all what my failure mode was.
It wasn't a fault from finger follower failure, that's all that matters when we're discussing an issue that impacts each and every 991.1 GT3.

I'm puzzled how this logic is escaping you.
NNayak (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends