Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 07:50 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
VERY INCORRECT!
See for yourself:

Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I was incorrect. The point I was trying to make is one side wears more than the other due to oil distribution. Your picture shows it appears to be the intake side. Did you replace your finger followers and put the car back into service? How were the cams?
Old 08-29-2024, 07:54 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 141 Posts

VERY INCORRECT!
See for yourself:

Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I was incorrect. The point I was trying to make is one side wears more than the other due to oil distribution. Your picture shows it appears to be the intake side, which I recalled incorrectly. Exhaust looks to be in very good shape. Did you replace your finger followers and put the car back into service? How were the cams?

Good news is the intake cam finger followers arethe ~60% price of the exhaust.

Edit: In this post it is posulated the exhaust side has worse oiling:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post19598630

Last edited by Indyxc; 08-29-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:40 AM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah, but once you taken apart the engine would you leave the exhaust as is? I would replace that one too with the updated cam(dlc coated) and new ff.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:26 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc
Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I was incorrect. The point I was trying to make is one side wears more than the other due to oil distribution. Your picture shows it appears to be the intake side, which I recalled incorrectly. Exhaust looks to be in very good shape. Did you replace your finger followers and put the car back into service? How were the cams?

Good news is the intake cam finger followers arethe ~60% price of the exhaust.

Edit: In this post it is posulated the exhaust side has worse oiling:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post19598630
Entire motor was replaced by Porsche.
The cam lobes were also worn:

Old 08-30-2024, 04:03 PM
Ed99
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc
Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I was incorrect. The point I was trying to make is one side wears more than the other due to oil distribution. Your picture shows it appears to be the intake side. Did you replace your finger followers and put the car back into service? How were the cams?
Sorry but what is the finger followers issue and why is it called finger followers? Sorry not a mechanic here but curious to know...thx guys!!
Old 08-30-2024, 07:39 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
Sorry but what is the finger followers issue and why is it called finger followers? Sorry not a mechanic here but curious to know...thx guys!!
Check the pics a few posts ago. They look like fingers! They also "follow" the Cams. At high rpm the oil film between the fingers and the cam can fail causing wear. The DLC is used to prevent metal wear during those moments(huge bandaid). The G6 engines have oil squirters as well and additional DLC coating to try to prevent and further cover the gaps.
The following users liked this post:
Ed99 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 07:49 PM
Ed99
Pro

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Check the pics a few posts ago. They look like fingers! They also "follow" the Cams. At high rpm the oil film between the fingers and the cam can fail causing wear. The DLC is used to prevent metal wear during those moments(huge bandaid). The G6 engines have oil squirters as well and additional DLC coating to try to prevent and further cover the gaps.
Thanks for the explanation...gosh seems like so many issues with the GT3 engines for 991.1 generations. So what are some of the symptoms for Finger follower issue? And this can lead to engine failure as well?
Old 08-31-2024, 11:43 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the explanation...gosh seems like so many issues with the GT3 engines for 991.1 generations. So what are some of the symptoms for Finger follower issue? And this can lead to engine failure as well?
High RPM misfire. By the time this has happened there is wear, which means those particles are throughout the engine, oil filter should get them ...assuming they make it there. Porsche just replaced the engines(just like with PDK issues), doesn't mean that's the only way. You "shouldn't" need to do a new engine, just top end rebuild. This a is not an immediate catastrophic failure thing like the IMS stuff.

It will become a preventative maintenance long term IMO. Similar to C6Z06 valve guides/heads. It's never "fixed", it's not "cheap", but it can be managed and kept in front of.

If a car is tracked heavily it will need these rebuilds anyways. The 991.1 may find itself a nice valley where they avoid the value/appreciation worries of the earlier models and are able to be used properly.
Ed99 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 01:39 PM
Ed99
Pro

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
High RPM misfire. By the time this has happened there is wear, which means those particles are throughout the engine, oil filter should get them ...assuming they make it there. Porsche just replaced the engines(just like with PDK issues), doesn't mean that's the only way. You "shouldn't" need to do a new engine, just top end rebuild. This a is not an immediate catastrophic failure thing like the IMS stuff.

It will become a preventative maintenance long term IMO. Similar to C6Z06 valve guides/heads. It's never "fixed", it's not "cheap", but it can be managed and kept in front of.

If a car is tracked heavily it will need these rebuilds anyways. The 991.1 may find itself a nice valley where they avoid the value/appreciation worries of the earlier models and are able to be used properly.
So more oil changes and makes sure maintenance is up to date should minimize this issue or is it just a matter of time this will happen since there is an engine defect.
Old 08-31-2024, 08:19 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

So more oil changes and makes sure maintenance is up to date should minimize this issue or is it just a matter of time this will happen since there is an engine defect.
If you drive it and drive it 'spiritedly,' it will eventually eat itself.
My E-series motor went at 23k miles and 6 yrs after build date. I know it was tracked by at least one previous owner, but to what extent unknown.
Current G6 has 12.2k 'drive it like ya stole it' miles and pulls hard. Feels a bit more 'torquier' and just rips.
Have had three oil changes and Porsche did not bother to mention the motor now takes the 991.1 GT3RS oil filter. No idea why that information was not disclosed.
My goal is to eat as many miles as possible while under extended warranty to 2028, or 101k miles and see if she holds, or eats itself again. We don't yet have enough data if these G6 motors are a good remedy, or just a better bandaid, and if that happens (second G6) I will stop driving it like is meant to be, but keep it because she is SO dayum pretty!
McNamara (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Ed99
Pro

If you drive it and drive it 'spiritedly,' it will eventually eat itself.
My E-series motor went at 23k miles and 6 yrs after build date. I know it was tracked by at least one previous owner, but to what extent unknown.
Current G6 has 12.2k 'drive it like ya stole it' miles and pulls hard. Feels a bit more 'torquier' and just rips.
Have had three oil changes and Porsche did not bother to mention the motor now takes the 991.1 GT3RS oil filter. No idea why that information was not disclosed.
My goal is to eat as many miles as possible while under extended warranty to 2028, or 101k miles and see if she holds, or eats itself again. We don't yet have enough data if these G6 motors are a good remedy, or just a better bandaid, and if that happens (second G6) I will stop driving it like is meant to be, but keep it because she is SO dayum pretty!
I am sure a lot of us drives the GT3 spiritually so the GT3 engine is a ticking time bomb...to be realistic if you are correct. Do we have any data on out of 10 GT3 how many had engine failure?

Would be good to start a poll on GT3 Engine failure to see how many members here. This is starting to sound like the bore scoring issues all over again but double the cost here.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:23 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

I am sure a lot of us drives the GT3 spiritually so the GT3 engine is a ticking time bomb...to be realistic if you are correct. Do we have any data on out of 10 GT3 how many had engine failure?

Would be good to start a poll on GT3 Engine failure to see how many members here. This is starting to sound like the bore scoring issues all over again but double the cost here.
Impossible to get accurate info from a forum representing a fraction of the total cars.

Want the best representation? Keep a constant eye on cars for sale with auto tempest or similar. The G6 engine has been available since late 2016, with a 10 year warranty since 2017/18ish. If it's as bad as the hysteria claims then the 10 yr warranty running up shouldn't be a problem since they all have G6s by now ...but they don't. I'm fact it's pretty difficult to find G6 cars. There is maybe a couple for sale at any time out of the 80ish GT3s available in any given time frame. Thats 2%, let's double it and go to 5%. Then let's double that to account for "keeper" cars, so now 10%. Maybe. After 10 years, and with a hugely generous engine warranty over the last 8.

​​​​​​I have a G6 car, it is a plus, but in my search the other engines weren't a deal breaker. They were early on, until that's all I could find...making the online problem vs real life problem pretty evident. It's a risk, it's a gamble, but it's marginal quite frankly. If you spend extra to get a 911.2 you have no guarantee the engine won't let go, plenty have. So do Mezgers. You have to buy knowing you may be on the hook for an engine or transmission. If it's too much then look elsewhere.

991.1 had true engine failures early. In a generation where the manual was discontinued along with the Mezger engine. Even if it didn't have failures it was a red headed step child like the runny egg light cars. Tack on the early engine fires and stop sale and everyone was paranoid from the start.

Doesn't mean this engine doesn't have it's weaknesses, it does, but it's not difficult to stay ahead of. Buy at a price where the worst case is accounted for and then enjoy the car. There is no amount of forum searching that will put your mind at ease, this is where we come to find/fix/understand problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by ztnedman1:
alpine-al (09-02-2024), slipaway37 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 08:54 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,585 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Reminder that the original engine in my 2015 GT3 failed after about 30k miles, was replaced with a G6, and then the G6 failed at about 8k miles. Both failures happened on track. Maybe I was unlucky, but I lost confidence in the engine.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:33 PM
wootloops
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Reminder that the original engine in my 2015 GT3 failed after about 30k miles, was replaced with a G6, and then the G6 failed at about 8k miles. Both failures happened on track. Maybe I was unlucky, but I lost confidence in the engine.
To clarify though, your G6 failure was NOT the typical finger follower failure, was it?

If it wasn't FF failure, a random unlucky one-off failure can happen to any engine. Even the new 4.0s have blown up for various reasons.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:54 PM
Ed99
Pro

Originally Posted by Manifold
Wow even the G6 engine is not bullet proof...yikes!!! I would totally lose confident period as well. Did you end up selling your GT3 or you got another G6 engine replaced? That must been so frustrating for you.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends