Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default HyTorc Centerlock tool

I would be interested if priced <$3500
Old 11-10-2021, 01:32 PM
wiredup
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The difference in this discussion now vs earlier, is now you don't need different lug nuts, OEM works fine. Big difference compared to what was needed when this first came out. Would buy for sure at $3500, still swallowing hard at 5k.
The following users liked this post:
Dufferdad (11-30-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

This thing is pretty sweet. Took longer to move the lights around than it did to actually R&R the wheel. Happy to answer any questions you guys have.
-
Ted
Ted@dundonmotorsports.com
Dundon Motorsports
+1.253.200.4454

www.dundonmotorsports.com

The following users liked this post:
wiredup (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 02:08 PM
wiredup
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports
This thing is pretty sweet. Took longer to move the lights around than it did to actually R&R the wheel. Happy to answer any questions you guys have.
-
Ted
Did you try the Renn torq tool prior? how easy is controlling the torque upon removal, meaning as opposed to having to block the brake?

Last edited by wiredup; 11-10-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,650 Likes on 2,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports
-
Ted
  1. Early days, so the price listed on your website is current? The price point might be a bit high. https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...-torque-system
  2. Regarding the reaction arm, a little concerned about the pressure against a single spoke and the surface damage it could do to that spoke...?
  3. Does the version you are showing with the reaction arm do the installation in one 'set' of moves like the version that uses the HYTORC nuts?
Old 11-10-2021, 02:59 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

@wiredup Have not tried the Renntorq tool. The reaction arm works both ways, so removal is incredibly easy.

@Westcoast Base price of $4995 (with no other accessories) is correct. Can't do much about the price point (we are actually offering a discount compared to Hytorc's retail price, about $350 cheaper). It's a precision tool that is *very* similar to what the factory uses to install wheels. The torque process is very slow (compared to something like an impact gun), so the pressure on the wheel spoke is minimal. The delrin "sleeve" doesn't leave any marks and seems to be very gentle. There's almost no "wrenching" of the system when peak torque is applied. The only thing I would do is encourage you to clean the wheels before torqueing to minimize scratches. The gun comes with the correct software to accomplish the whole process with one trigger pull, as it did in the first iteration. I found doing it manually to go a bit quicker.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ted@dundonmotorsports:
redpriest (11-10-2021), wiredup (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:36 PM
redpriest
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Pre-ordered from dundon. This is a no-brainer imo even at this price point if you are tracking the car enough. Even just having the utility of bringing two sets of tires to the track and being able to quickly swap them out is worth it. I'm getting too old and too lazy/weak to do the breaker bar torque routine.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:00 PM
baumann2
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Fatal!

Originally Posted by Money2536
We took a bunch of photos before they pried it out of my hands.

The center lock screw is a highly stressed safety component. It is a criminal offense to mill off material from it.
Never ever!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by baumann2
The center lock screw is a highly stressed safety component. It is a criminal offense to mill off material from it.
Never ever!
The production version doesn't have that issue (stock center bolt with reaction arm instead).
Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Never ever!
Mostly a moot point but, are you saying that the threaded portion of the HYTORC replacement nut has a shorter threaded length then the stock Centerlock nut?

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-29-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:06 AM
baumann2
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Mostly a moot point but, are you saying that the threaded portion of the HYTORC replacement nut has a shorter threaded length then the stock Centerlock nut?
The thread remains. But the edge of the prototype (?) is weakened on the outside. And there the conical ring transfers its load to the wheel.
CL is a complex coordinated system of parts. Any weakening will create problems. Not necessarily immediately, but miles later.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:45 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The thread remains. But the edge of the prototype (?) is weakened on the outside. And there the conical ring transfers its load to the wheel.
CL is a complex coordinated system of parts. Any weakening will create problems. Not necessarily immediately, but miles later.
As you know they decided not to go with this system so this is only a discussion, I would have to see a few good pictures of the Porsche CL nut to compare the area you think is weakened.

HYTORC is in the business of mission critical fasteners and IIRC this was for one of the owners cars so I would be surprised the HYTORC CL nut was 'under-engineered'. Personally I think that the HYTORC replacement nut and the external castle design edge is a better way to hold the assembly during installation and removal then a reaction arm,
Old 11-30-2021, 08:04 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Unless you model this up and run FEA, it’s all just speculating if this was/wasnt a good design.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Unless you model this up and run FEA, it’s all just speculating if this was/wasnt a good design.
Actually I would have thought HYTOC would have done this before showing the system to Matt, as this is their area of expertise, the accurate torque application to mission critical components.

It is my understanding from a follow up video posted by Matt that it was decided most end users would be hesitant to stray from the Porsche OEM CL nut and because of that the reaction arm process was chosen.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Actually I would have thought HYTOC would have done this before showing the system to Matt, as this is their area of expertise, the accurate torque application to mission critical components.

It is my understanding from a follow up video posted by Matt that it was decided most end users would be hesitant to stray from the Porsche OEM CL nut and because of that the reaction arm process was chosen.
For now Hytorc decided to hold off on making new CL nuts. I wasn't really interested in the reaction arm, but they strong armed me into taking one to try out. Although it isn't going to work on tightly spoked aftermarket wheels, it is a much simpler, "less risky" solution for us. You know I'm not into scratching my paint, so I thought it was stupid to consider a giant ball of plastic impacting my wheel spokes. But...after using it, I believe it is the way to go. It really is an awesome experience. The reaction arm moves really precisely and subtly that I don't find it to an issue at all. The other issue with the center nuts from Hytorc is that their pricing would be considerably more than we discussing in the video. This would put the combo up in the $7,500-$10,000 range.

Quick Reply: More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks