Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 05:56 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

This looks like the type of tool Porsche would brand and sell for for $xx,xxx to shops and fanatic customers

Last edited by PiB993; 07-14-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,052 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Originally Posted by 1DarkChaos
wait i think everyone is missing the question
This is an absolutely amazing innovation.
But are the Hytorc center lock removable using the traditional way? As in if the machine malfunctions or if I forgot to charge the battery the night before or if the battery dies on 2/4 wheel. Is it still removable without the tool?

If it is, I would be interested.

Thanks
Looks like it would work with standard socket also
Old 07-14-2021, 11:33 PM
65ac408
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
So what is the exact reason you can’t use an impact gun to remove the centerlock? I know Porsche says it’s a no-no, but I sort of figured that was to not damage the exterior of the CL nut, I am not sure why it would matter to the structure of the nut itself (obviously torque down with an impact gun is another story and I would not do that on a VW even with a torque stick). I know my big Dewalt would get them off ….

PS Gratuitous pic of the Gedore dremometer I found new on Amazon for $500 (have not used it yet, as I used the precision instruments one I have last time).

Impact on aluminum is a no no
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-15-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:26 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the whole assembly has very fine tolerances. The impact from a gun would possibly screw with those. Sometime the CLs stick quite a bit and the impact torque needed to break would be crazy.

The tool itself is great, and it looks like Hytorque is making very very nice products.
But focusing on the tasking stead of tools, makes swapping all for wheels, the good old way, possible in 20 minutes, following Porsches prescribed method.
I found the easiest way is to use the harness mounting point to quickly attach a 90 degree fitting of some sort and then set a wood clamp against that to press the brake. This locks all four wheels easily enough to both remove with breaker bar and re torque, without damaging seat or anything else in the interior fra the wood clamp. Also you can do this safely alone. No issues with front wheels turning either, unless you have a bar/wrench which unnecessary extends front the wheel.

This is the same time it takes me to swap over 4 wheels with regular nuts, here I just needed to spend a couple hundred on the big a** torque wrench. Makes it very hard to defend the Hytorque investment. Sad as I love a nice speciality tool.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:51 AM
python
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

The tool itself is poorly designed.

it does not need a proprietary nut if you designed in a bracer bar similar to that of renntorq or the actual gun that Porsche uses: 9:26 mark on this video.

sorry, please go back to the drawing board with this.

if you made a tool like the one that porsche uses, yes ill shell 6k for it.

Last edited by python; 08-07-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:33 PM
HRJ
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by python
The tool itself is poorly designed.

lol
Old 08-07-2021, 06:18 PM
python
Advanced

Originally Posted by HRJ
lol
Tell me how porsche’s tool is able to put on the center locks without the seats and center console installed, no brake actuated, and with no “proprietary” center lock cap that this tool “supposedly” requires and needs resurfacing. Then the guy is asking for 6k for the whole setup?

Ill say it again: it is poorly designed and needs to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by python; 08-07-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by python;[url=tel:17594083
17594083[/url]]Tell me how porsche’s tool is able to put on the center locks without the seats and center console installed, no brake actuated, and with no “proprietary” center lock cap that this tool “supposedly” requires and needs resurfacing. Then the guy is asking for 6k for the whole setup?

Ill say it again: it is poorly designed and needs to go back to the drawing board.
Even with reaction arm on the spokes you still have to lock the wheel in order to torque the centerlock.

I suspect in the Porsche assembly line video, the factory have some way of applying the brakes via ecu (traction control or abs) when torquing the center nut.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:58 PM
python
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wind911
Even with reaction arm on the spokes you still have to lock the wheel in order to torque the centerlock.

I suspect in the Porsche assembly line video, the factory have some way of applying the brakes via ecu (traction control or abs) when torquing the center nut.
We’re starting to get off topic here.

Ill ask you this. How does the tool, as it is advertised, prevent the same thing? The “proprietary” cap is only there as a mounting point for the torque gun. The guy even says it himself: “its only there for the [torque gun] to push up against”.

if the guy found a way to not need the “proprietary” cap, then the tool is amazing.

Last edited by python; 08-07-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

We’re starting to get off topic here.

Ill ask you this. How does the tool, as it is advertised, prevent the same thing? The “proprietary” cap is only there as a mounting point for the torque gun. The guy even says it himself: “its only there for the [torque gun] to push up against”.

if the guy found a way to not need the “proprietary” cap, then the tool is amazing.
The way I understand it, the inner and outer parts of the new Centerlock bolt are counter-rotated - that’s how it works without having to use the brakes or an arm against the spokes. The torque gun must have this feature built in (it can hold the outer collar stationary and tighten the inner part of the proprietary bolt against it)…

Last edited by GrantG; 08-07-2021 at 10:58 PM.
python (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:46 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The way I understand it, the inner and outer parts of the new Centerlock bolt are counter-rotated - that’s how it works without having to use the brakes or an arm against the spokes. The torque gun must have this feature built in (it can hold the outer collar stationary and tighten the inner part of the proprietary bolt against it)…
if you re-watch the video 15:53 when he is tightening the center nut. the tool is applying counter rotating force to the outer collar as the nut approaching final tightening torque and then the outer collar stops . I assume it relies on the friction between the outer collar and the wheel to keep the wheel from spinning. The friction builds up as the nut gets tightened. Apparently it works.

Last edited by Wind911; 08-07-2021 at 11:49 PM.
python (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 02:42 AM
python
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wind911
if you re-watch the video 15:53 when he is tightening the center nut. the tool is applying counter rotating force to the outer collar as the nut approaching final tightening torque and then the outer collar stops . I assume it relies on the friction between the outer collar and the wheel to keep the wheel from spinning. The friction builds up as the nut gets tightened. Apparently it works.
That makes sense.

A part of me still dislikes the idea of adding a new wear item to the list for this. Just seems wasteful.

In comparison, the renntorq tool doesn’t use electricity, and only requires a brake pedal depressor (extremely cheap and light weight), but the only downside is that the 60 degree back off before final torque can only be eye balled.

both tools are very fast regardless, but Im leaning towards the renntorq honestly.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:17 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

A part of me still dislikes the idea of adding a new wear item to the list for this. Just seems wasteful.
Probably more accurate to consider it exchanging one wear item for another (stock Centerlock is meant to be replaced every 6k track miles, I believe)
Old 08-08-2021, 12:59 PM
python
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
Probably more accurate to consider it exchanging one wear item for another (stock Centerlock is meant to be replaced every 6k track miles, I believe)
thats not too bad. Wonder if they have the setup matching the wheel colors.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
The Hytorc guys reached out to me to put this out there to gauge interest. Joel was pretty tight lipped about pricing because they haven't done the analysis on what this will cost to produce. I'm sure they know the tool well. The regular version of the tool they sell in other industries retails for $4800. Then we need the socket and 4 new replacement nuts. My guess is that this will retail around $6,000. I know many won't buy it at that price, but I would knowing I plan to have a GT Porsche for the rest of my life (God willing...). My guess is there are many others that would do so as well. I did make a strong case that if this could be done for sub $3500, that almost all mechanically included Porsche centerlock owners would buy it. Hytorc is watching and will most certainly be putting pen to paper and doing some calculations on how many they think we can sell. The more that can be sold, the lower the retail.
For under $3500 (complete kit) I would definitely buy this system for my Spyder RS when it arrives!

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-09-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks