More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 02:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
For now Hytorc decided to hold off on making new CL nuts. I wasn't really interested in the reaction arm, but they strong armed me into taking one to try out. Although it isn't going to work on tightly spoked aftermarket wheels, it is a much simpler, "less risky" solution for us. You know I'm not into scratching my paint, so I thought it was stupid to consider a giant ball of plastic impacting my wheel spokes. But...after using it, I believe it is the way to go. It really is an awesome experience. The reaction arm moves really precisely and subtly that I don't find it to an issue at all. The other issue with the center nuts from Hytorc is that their pricing would be considerably more than we discussing in the video. This would put the combo up in the $7,500-$10,000 range.
Thanks for the details Matt, I know that you wouldn't use the reaction arm if you felt it would damage the wheels on the GT3, additionally I did pick up that the cost of the HYTORC CL nuts was going to significantly increase the system cost and was part of the decision process.

Hats off for working through this with them to come up with a wonderful alternative to the 6 ft long breaker bar!
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (06-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2021, 06:16 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
For now Hytorc decided to hold off on making new CL nuts. I wasn't really interested in the reaction arm, but they strong armed me into taking one to try out. Although it isn't going to work on tightly spoked aftermarket wheels, it is a much simpler, "less risky" solution for us. You know I'm not into scratching my paint, so I thought it was stupid to consider a giant ball of plastic impacting my wheel spokes. But...after using it, I believe it is the way to go. It really is an awesome experience. The reaction arm moves really precisely and subtly that I don't find it to an issue at all. The other issue with the center nuts from Hytorc is that their pricing would be considerably more than we discussing in the video. This would put the combo up in the $7,500-$10,000 range.
When do you expect these to be shipped to customers? I watch your video about an hour after you posted it, and announced that these were for sale. I immediately went to your website and ordered it, I think it was about three weeks ago. I can look in my email, but I’m lazy, and that’s why I want this tool. Just hoping it shows up in the mail soon, also hoping my wife doesn’t kill me.

Last edited by Surfndav; 12-01-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:54 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
As you know they decided not to go with this system so this is only a discussion, I would have to see a few good pictures of the Porsche CL nut to compare the area you think is weakened.

HYTORC is in the business of mission critical fasteners and IIRC this was for one of the owners cars so I would be surprised the HYTORC CL nut was 'under-engineered'. Personally I think that the HYTORC replacement nut and the external castle design edge is a better way to hold the assembly during installation and removal then a reaction arm,
Just to take this one a little further from what I saw they did a lot of testing on their nut with OEM wheels for stress, etc. I saw the room they were using for the testing, the nuts they were using and the wheels. I would agree they were not under engineered from what I could tell. I do however understand why they went with the option now available there was a lot of resistance to using a non OEM nut.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:53 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

old thread!
would like to know how the Hytorc tool is performing after several months or years of use?
Thinking about buying one!
Old 01-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
Just to take this one a little further from what I saw they did a lot of testing on their nut with OEM wheels for stress, etc. I saw the room they were using for the testing, the nuts they were using and the wheels. I would agree they were not under engineered from what I could tell. I do however understand why they went with the option now available there was a lot of resistance to using a non OEM nut.
Really, not starting an argument here but I was not aware that there was resistance to this route at all, more likely just FUD... people worried that it was not OEM. If I had a Porsche with CL wheels I would be calling Hytorc to see about getting their CL nuts and ditch the torque arm.

For example, I have been running Titanium wheel bolts for years, naysayers throwing out all sorts of FUD, they have all gone silent now that Porsche is offering Titanium wheel bolts as an option...

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-20-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:17 PM
HRJ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick GT3
old thread!
would like to know how the Hytorc tool is performing after several months or years of use?
Mine is still humming along nicely.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HRJ
Mine is still humming along nicely.

Curious, would you have opted for the Hytorc nut version?
Old 01-20-2023, 09:47 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

I have one of these as well; works great. I wouldn’t have considered it if it required custom center locks — too many cars with OEM center locks as it is.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
After hundreds of uses I'm perfectly content with the RENNtorq tool, and would hesitate to use an aftermarket centerlock nut. This is overkill.
100% agree!
Old 05-31-2023, 10:48 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick GT3
old thread!
I've been using mine for about a year and a half, and it's a godsend. I bought an extra battery and have never run one down. I haven't been tracking my 19 RS as much this year because I've fully caged my 09 Cayman S, and we are racing it now. But I've had it on track 5 or six times and always change to the 19" wheels and the slick tires. So easy to deal with. I've had 2 back surgeries in the last 6 months and I don't think I could deal with the big torque wrench. I've even got my wife doing it because I was mostly out of service for a time. She drives on track as well, and she's spoiled with the Pirelli slicks so she gets to swap wheels. If it was lost or stolen tomorrow, I'd buy another right away.
The following 4 users liked this post by Surfndav:
Manda Racing (06-01-2023), Money2536 (06-01-2023), Rick GT3 (06-09-2023), Westcoast (06-01-2023)

Quick Reply: More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks